PDA

View Full Version : I missed all the action last night...

pirate4state
08-13-2003, 08:57 AM
my home computer has been infected with that new "blaster" virus!! :( Has anyone else experienced this problem?? Good thing it is not to difficult to repair.

3afan2K3
08-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Man it was SO fun. I was making post after post. There were 2 or 3 new post every minute. I couldn't keep up, all on fun topics.

Oh I guess this isn't helping

RBARKER
08-13-2003, 12:16 PM
Pirate, I also got that nasty worm in my system.I had to go next door to get on the net and download the fix then bring it back to my computer. Its fixed now wink

3afan2K3
08-13-2003, 12:18 PM
what does this virus do? My computer has an adware virus on it.

<small>[ August 13, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

CRUSHER
08-13-2003, 08:20 PM
To 3afan2K3
go to the link below and download Adware and you can take off the adware and popups that come up. Hope this helps!!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

3afan2K3
08-13-2003, 08:26 PM
I can't my computer doesnt have very much memeory left.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-14-2003, 01:24 AM
CRUSHER:
To 3afan2K3
go to the link below and download Adware and you can take off the adware and popups that come up. Hope this helps!!

http://www.lavasoftusa.comAre these "pop-ups" the "Messenger Service" that keeps coming up on my screen at the most inopportune times? If so, i'm downloading the link immediately!

exbccards76'smom
08-14-2003, 03:43 AM
I had "pop up stopper" from panicware. on my computer, but it got where it was making my computer freeze up. Have ya'll had any problems like that?

sinton66
08-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Pop-Up stopper works ok, but I had "Zone Alarm" also, and it made my computer lose the network connection occasionally. I would have to reboot to get back on the internet because it "couldn't find the server". I took Zone Alarm off, and it works ok now. Pop-up Stopper just stops the annoying Pop-up ads that come up when you visit websites. It will also stop things like your address list on yahoo and 3ADL Polls because that uses Pop-up technology also. If you want , you can temporarily suspend it by right clicking on the hand icon in the lower right corner of your screen(or wherever you have the toolbar). Other than that, it seems to work ok.

TFINT, "messenger service" is a function of Windows. You can turn it off by clicking on the icon bottom right of your screen. If you then choose "close", even the icon will go away.

Adware is a "sweep" program that will allow you to remove the "spyware" files that advertisers install on your computer by visiting their sites. If the Adware program is installed, it doesn't do anything until you click on it's icon.

I use XP Pro as my O/S, and have both Pop-up Stopper and Adware free editions installed. So far, I'm satisfied with both.

Zone Alarm is a Firewall program designed to prevent hacking. It is possible that I just didn't set it up right, which may have caused my problem. I just decided I didn't need it since we have a router on our system, so, I removed it.

<small>[ August 14, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

pirate4state
08-14-2003, 08:33 AM
RBARKER:
Pirate, I also got that nasty worm in my system.I had to go next door to get on the net and download the fix then bring it back to my computer. Its fixed now wink I did the same thing, but last night I couldn't log on with my internet connection. It was really :mad: pissin (sorry) me off :mad: . So, today I have a project. :D

pirate4state
08-14-2003, 08:36 AM
3afan2K3:
what does this virus do? My computer has an adware virus on it.The virus effects Microsoft Window XP, 2000, NT & various other software. A window will appear to inform you that your system is shutting down & then will proceed to do just that in I think 60 seconds...there is a countdown and everything. Stupid hackers, pissed off at Bill Gates! I'm not sure if it damages any files ( eek! I hope not!) but it sure is annoying when you're trying to get on the DL. :D

District303aPastPlayer
08-14-2003, 10:44 AM
the "Messenger Service" pop up that you are referring to comes as a bundle as part of Kazaa, Grokster or anything else on the gnuetella network. The only way to stop it is to remove the download progs.

sinton66
08-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Ok, the one on my XP Pro is Windows Messenger.