PDA

View Full Version : Driving in Dallas

pirate4state
02-27-2006, 05:08 PM
LOL - some of you will totally get this. ;)

First you must learn to pronounce the city name. It is DAL-LUS, or DAA-LIS depending on if you live inside or outside LBJ Freeway.

Next, if your Mapsco is more than a few weeks old, throw it out and buy a new one. If in Collin County and your Mapsco is one day old, then it is already obsolete.

Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Dallas has its own version of traffic rules . . ."Hold on and pray."

There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Dallas. We all drive like that.

All directions start with, "Get on Beltline" . . . which has no beginning and no end. (IT REALLY DOESN'T!!!)

The morning rush hour is from 6 to 10. The evening rush hour is from 3 to 7. Friday's rush hour starts Thursday morning.

If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended, cussed out and possibly shot.

When you are the first one on the starting line, count to five when the light turns green before going, to avoid crashing with all the drivers running the red light in cross-traffic, or getting hit by a car approaching you as he makes a quick left turn in front of you.

Construction on Central Expressway is a way of life and a permanent form of entertainment. We had so-o-o much fun with that we have added George Bush Freeway to the mix.

All unexplained sights are explained by the phrase, "Oh, we're in Fort Worth!"

If someone actually has his turn signal on, it is either a factory defect or an "outsider."

Car horns are actually "Road Rage" indicators, and remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

All old ladies with blue hair in Mercedes have the right of way. Period. And remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

Inwood Road, Plano Road, NW Highway, East Grand, Garland Road, Marsh Lane, Josey Lane, 15th Street, Preston Road . . . all mysteriously change names as you cross intersections (these are only a FEW examples).

The perfect example is what is MOSTLY known as Plano Road. On the south end it is known as Lake Highlands Drive, cross Northwest Highway and it becomes Plano Road, go about 8 miles and it is briefly Greenville Ave, Ave K, and Highway 5. It ends in Sherman, Texas.

If asking directions in Irving or SE Dallas, you must have knowledge of Spanish. If in central Richardson or on Harry Hines, Mandarin Chinese will be your best bet.

If you stop to ask directions on Gaston or Live Oak, you better be armed. (And remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.)

A trip across town (east to west) will take a minimum of four hours, although many north/south freeways have unposted minimum speeds of 75. The minimum acceptable speed on the Dallas North Toll Road is 85. Anything less is considered downright sissy.

The wrought iron on windows near Oak Cliff and Fair Park is not
ornamental!!

It is possible to be driving WEST in the NORTH-bound lane of EAST NORTHWEST Highway. Don't let this confuse you.

The North Dallas Tollway is our daily version of NASCAR.

If it's 100 degrees, Thanksgiving must be next weekend. If it's 10 degrees and sleeting/snowing, the Fort Worth Stock Show is going on.

If it's rained 6 inches in the last hour, and it is springtime, the Fort
Worh Stock Show is going on.

If it's rained 6 inches in the last hour, and it is springtime, the Byron Nelson Golf Classic is in the second round. If it is autumn, then the State Fair is in full swing.

If you go to the Fair, pay the $8.00 to park INSIDE Fair Park. Parking elsewhere could cost up to $2,500 for damages, towing fees, parking tickets, etc. If some guy with a flag tries to get you to park in his yard, run over him.

Any amusement parks, stadiums, arenas, race tracks, airports, etc., are conveniently located as far away from EVERYTHING as possible so as to allow for ample parking on grassy areas.

Final Warning: Don't Mess With Texas Drivers.

Remember, it's legal to be armed in Texas.

:D

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
There is no such thing as a dangerous high-speed chase in Dallas. We all drive like that.
LOL, last time I was up there was for the Cowboys/Dolphins Thanksgiving Day game a couple of years ago. We were going to Deep Ellum (staying over in Arlington) at about midnight the night before the game. Pulling onto the on-ramp, we see headlights coming our way... some guy was going the wrong way on the freeway, decided to pull off where we were pulling on.

Needless to say, we had to go back to the hotel to change our pants.

PurpleFreddy
02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
Glad you survived ... it took me 3-4 years just to learn my way around Dallas and the connecting suburbs. Now that I'm in McKinney it's a whole new ballgame.

DaHop72
02-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Even being from West Texas, having relatives in the Metro-mess this post is so true.

pirate4state
02-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Glad you survived ... it took me 3-4 years just to learn my way around Dallas and the connecting suburbs. Now that I'm in McKinney it's a whole new ballgame. Nice to see you on the board!! :)

Russ that must have been pretty crazy!! I have seen some crazy stuff on those highways!! :eek:

STANG RED
02-27-2006, 05:41 PM
I dont see how you metroplex people deal with that on a daily basis! I'd be crazy or killing someone in just a few days. Probably both.

More than 3 cars at a traffic light in Sweetwater, is considered a traffic jam. 5 or 6 cars is considered gridlock.

Phantom Stang
02-27-2006, 05:48 PM

If you go to the Fair, pay the $8.00 to park INSIDE Fair Park. Parking elsewhere could cost up to $2,500 for damages, towing fees, parking tickets, etc. If some guy with a flag tries to get you to park in his yard, run over him.

Yep

bulldogbark
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it would be fun to move all Houston drivers to Dallas for one week and move the dallas drivers to Houston for one week ,, but not the same weeks. see who wins:D

DU_stud04
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
coming from sweetwater to the metroplex.....wow what a change

my major problem is now when i go back home and try to drive the same way over there people get mad and say i drive crazy

moral of that story is......it's legal to be armed in Texas.....so true, i have been shot at and its not fun

KTJ
02-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I miss home, which means I miss Dallas.

:(

(I don't miss Gainesville, which is the technical word for "home".)

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2006, 07:08 PM
All directions start with, "Get on Beltline" . . .
And end with "......you can't miss it". :eek: :doh:

sinton66
02-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
I think it would be fun to move all Houston drivers to Dallas for one week and move the dallas drivers to Houston for one week ,, but not the same weeks. see who wins:D

I can tell you in a millisecond, the Dallas drivers would all die within the first 24 hours.;)

bulldogbark
02-27-2006, 07:38 PM
haveing driven in both Dallas and Houston I would rather poke my own eye out with a wet noodle than drive in Houston:D seems like every exit is on the oppisite side your on , then you have to do the 5 lane merge or drive another 5 hours to get were you want to go

stickandmove
03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
very funny post, but alot of it is true. Alot of great things to do in dfw. However, the worst part is trying to get around. don't go anywhere between 4-6 or your just waisting your time.

Houston is still the worst place to drive by FAR!

JasperDog94
03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by stickandmove
Houston is still the worst place to drive by FAR! We're number 1!!!
We're number 1!!!
We're number 1!!!:wave:

Eagle6Man
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark

The Dallas drivers win hands down. Traffic never moves in Houston.