PDA

View Full Version : If Goliad doesn't make the State Tourney....

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
...it'll be the second time since 1995 that a team from our district didn't make it. '95 was also the last time a team from our district didn't make the Regional Final, and with a matchup against either Ingram Tom Moore or Stafford looming in the Semis it won't be easy.

underware
02-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I"ll take Goliad to make the State Finals! I was with Yoakum unitl they lost to Ingram. woopie But I'm pulling for our friends down South! Go Tigers!

mwynn05
02-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by underware
I"ll take Goliad to make the State Finals! I was with Yoakum unitl they lost to Ingram. woopie But I'm pulling for our friends down South! Go Tigers! If they do make the state tournament they will get beat the first game just like region 4 always does

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
If they do make the state tournament they will get beat the first game just like region 4 always does
As long as that record's intact I can live with it.

AP Panther Fan
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
From the Victoria Advocate today.

February 27, 2006
COY SLAVIK - Advocate Sports Editor

This past weekend was not kind to many Advocate-area high school basketball teams.

The next stop for Goliad coach David Kelley and his Tigers is Kingsville, where they will face the Hidalgo Pirates in a Class 3A regional quarterfinal matchup Tuesday night.

Out of the 14 area teams that entertained thoughts of prolonging their seasons one more week, only five survived, including the Faith Academy boys and Hallettsville Sacred Heart girls. The Cougars and Indianettes advanced to the TAPPS Class 2A state tournament to be held Thursday-Saturday at the Fort Worth Nolan High School gym.

Faith Academy (29-10) will face Grand Prairie Shady Grove in the semifinals Friday at 5:15 p.m.

Sacred Heart (29-9) will play Colleyville Covenant in a semifinal Thursday at 5:15 p.m.

Only three of 12 Advocate-area UIL teams - Goliad, Weimar, and Schulenburg - survived the weekend.

Goliad (32-1) advanced to the Class 3A boys regional quarterfinals with a 63-50 victory Friday over Pharr Valley View. The Tigers will face Hidalgo in a Class 3A regional quarterfinal game Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at the Kingsville High School gym.

The Goliad-Hidalgo winner will return to Kingsville on Friday for a Region IV-3A semifinal matchup against the Stafford-Ingram Moore winner at 6 p.m. at the Steinke Physical Education Center on the campus of Texas A&M-Kingsville.

The other four teams left in Region IV-3A also play Tuesday. Liberty Hill will face La Vernia at 7:30 p.m. at Hays Consolidated High School in Buda, while Corpus Christi West Oso will meet Rio Hondo at a time and site to be determined.

Weimar (28-4) eliminated George West 67-43 on Friday and will play Santa Rosa at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Sinton. Schulenburg (25-4) ousted Taft 49-33 on Friday and will face Premont at 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Beeville Jones High School gym.

The Weimar-Santa Rosa winner will face the San Antonio Cole-Somerville winner in the Region IV-2A semifinals at 6 p.m. Friday at the Delco Center in Austin. Cole and Somerville meet Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in Moulton.

The Schulenburg-Premont winner will play the Brazos Consolidated-Jarrell winner in Friday's 8 p.m. Region IV-2A semifinal at the Delco Center.