PDA

View Full Version : Is JJ one of the best ever?

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 09:51 AM
You think of the best ever at the college level, you think Wilt Chamberlain at Kansas, Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton at UCLA, etc.

He's now the ACC's all-time leading scorer. On that note, is JJ Redick on that level of greatness? Is he one of the top ten all-time? Top five? Number one?

AggieJohn
02-27-2006, 09:53 AM
i might go top ten

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i might go top ten
Who would be your top five?

And for that matter, if you put together an all-time All-America team, who would be on it? Only requirement is that you have to have two posts/forwards and three wings/guards.

First team:
C: Lew Alcindor, Post, UCLA
F: Larry Bird, F, Indiana St.
G: Magic Johnson, F/G, Michigan St.
G: JJ Redick, G, Duke
G: Oscar Robertson, G, Cincy

Some others to consider:
Bobby Hurley, PG, Duke
Christian Laettner, F/C, Duke
Grant Hill, F, Duke
Shane Battier, F, Duke
Danny Ferry, F, Duke
Bill Walton, C, UCLA
Patrick Ewing, C, Georgetown
Zo, F/C, Georgetown
Allen Iverson, G, Georgetown
Larry Johnson, F/C, UNLV
Wilt Chamberlain, C, KU
JoJo White, G, KU
Jaque Vaughn, PG, KU
Danny Manning, F, KU
Michael Smith, F/C, BYU
Bill Russell, C, San Francisco College
Jameer Nelson, PG, Temple
AJ Guyton, G, Indiana
Calbert Cheaney, F, Indiana
Steve Alford, G, Indiana
Isaiah Thomas, G, Indiana
Pete Maravich, G, LSU
Kenyon Martin, C, Cincy
Antawn Jamison, F, UNC
Michael Jordan, G/F, UNC
TJ Ford, PG, UT
Tim Duncan, C, Wake Forest
Joe Smith, C, Maryland
Ralph Sampson, C, Virginia
Marcus Camby, C, UMass
Mark Aguirre, G/F, DePaul
Akeem Olajuwon, C, UofH
Clyde Drexler, G/F, UofH
Corliss Williamson, F, Arkansas
Johnny Dawkins, G/F, Duke
David Thompson, G/F, NC State

Tough to leave off Sampson, Wilt, and Walton, but I can't seem to find any room for them ahead of Bird and Alcindor.

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 11:14 AM
at his position definately top 5. overall...........probably in top 50. j.j. is the man but remember, duke stars usually don't fair well in the pros. as far as college guards go, he is one of the best ever.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-27-2006, 11:39 AM
I think he is Top 5 in the Best Pure shooter category. He could rival for no. 1 in that. But I can't say top 5 all time, my biggest reason being that Duke, while going far each year, has not won the Championship since JJ came in. Their last championship was his senior year in high school. Considering the type of teams Duke's had the past 4 years, it's somewhat of a letdown. As great of a shooter as JJ is, he's poor on defense, and defense wins championships.

However, I'll pick him any day in a 3 point contest, or to hit a big shot. If he gets a championship, he'd make top 10 easily.

Buccaneer
02-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Did I miss it or did you leave Akeem off your list?

LH Panther Mom
02-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I think he is Top 5 in the Best Pure shooter category. He could rival for no. 1 in that. But I can't say top 5 all time, my biggest reason being that Duke, while going far each year, has not won the Championship since JJ came in. Their last championship was his senior year in high school. Considering the type of teams Duke's had the past 4 years, it's somewhat of a letdown. As great of a shooter as JJ is, he's poor on defense, and defense wins championships.

However, I'll pick him any day in a 3 point contest, or to hit a big shot. If he gets a championship, he'd make top 10 easily.
Apparently, I must know more about this than I originally thought. :eek: (I know....it's quite scary.) With much less analysis than you put into it, that was my thinking.

mwynn05
02-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You think of the best ever at the college level, you think Wilt Chamberlain at Kansas, Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton at UCLA, etc.

He's now the ACC's all-time leading scorer. On that note, is JJ Redick on that level of greatness? Is he one of the top ten all-time? Top five? Number one? Im not even sure if he is the best player this season

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Did I miss it or did you leave Akeem off your list?
You didn't miss it, I just forgot all about him. And while you're at it, go ahead and put the other half of Phi Slamma Jamma in there too.

I also forgot about Jerry West, Nate Archibald, and Elgin Baylor, so put them up there while your at it.

It's more just a list of people to consider.

Originally posted by mwynn05
Im not even sure if he is the best player this season
You may be right, but this is Morrison's first "great" season while this is Redick's second, maybe third. If they win a title this year, I think people will look back at his clutch shooting as a soph and say that he was great as far back as then. If not, he'll probably go down as having two really great seasons and be a small notch above the Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner level, IMO.

Chief Ohera
02-27-2006, 01:23 PM
no he isn't even the best player in duke history,
that title is worthy to Jonny Dawkins or Grant Hill.
J.J. is great but not in the top ten in history, not great defensively or lateral movement on defense,
so brothers until next time......

DaHop72
02-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
J.J. is great but not in the top ten in history, not great defensively or lateral movement on defense,
Gee, this hurts;) ;) but I agree, with Adam oops the chief on this one.:D

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Johnny Dawkins I'd buy, but Hill wasn't even the best player on his team. Come on Chief, I know you were only six when he won the title but you should know that.

And talking about the Dookies reminded me of Scotty Thurman and Corliss Williamson of Arkansas.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Johnny Dawkins I'd buy, but Hill wasn't even the best player on his team. Come on Chief, I know you were only six when he won the title but you should know that.

And talking about the Dookies reminded me of Scotty Thurman and Corliss Williamson of Arkansas.

I agree. Grant Hill may have had the best PRO career (which sadly isn't saying much considering that team), but Laettner got more hype than Redick did during his time. He had great size and absolutely dominated when he played. HE was expected to be the next big thing when he played, and was the only college player on the original Dream Team, arguably the best put together olympic team ever. Grant was good, but if we're talking about best in COLLEGE, Laettner was better. You could possibly make the argument of he being a top 10 player.

I just realized he was on the list, too.

DUKE22
02-27-2006, 02:37 PM
you also left a guy by the name of David Thompson off your list he was pretty amazing. Laettner is the best player in Duke history. Four final fours 2 titles, great personal stats, and maybe the best shot in college basketball history.

eagles_victory
02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Who would be your top five?

And for that matter, if you put together an all-time All-America team, who would be on it? Only requirement is that you have to have two posts/forwards and three wings/guards.

First team:
C: Lew Alcindor, Post, UCLA
F: Larry Bird, F, Indiana St.
G: Magic Johnson, F/G, Michigan St.
G: JJ Redick, G, Duke
G: Oscar Robertson, G, Cincy

Some others to consider:
Bobby Hurley, PG, Duke
Christian Laettner, F/C, Duke
Grant Hill, F, Duke
Shane Battier, F, Duke
Danny Ferry, F, Duke
Bill Walton, C, UCLA
Patrick Ewing, C, Georgetown
Zo, F/C, Georgetown
Allen Iverson, G, Georgetown
Larry Johnson, F/C, UNLV
Wilt Chamberlain, C, KU
JoJo White, G, KU
Jaque Vaughn, PG, KU
Danny Manning, F, KU
Michael Smith, F/C, BYU
Bill Russell, C, San Francisco College
Jameer Nelson, PG, Temple
AJ Guyton, G, Indiana
Calbert Cheaney, F, Indiana
Steve Alford, G, Indiana
Isaiah Thomas, G, Indiana
Pete Maravich, G, LSU
Kenyon Martin, C, Cincy
Antawn Jamison, F, UNC
Michael Jordan, G/F, UNC
TJ Ford, PG, UT
Tim Duncan, C, Wake Forest
Joe Smith, C, Maryland
Ralph Sampson, C, Virginia
Marcus Camby, C, UMass
Mark Aguirre, G/F, DePaul

Tough to leave off Sampson, Wilt, and Walton, but I can't seem to find any room for them ahead of Bird and Alcindor.

Redick starting over Pistol Pete your nuts bring the white suits and take you away that is riduculous.

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 02:49 PM
Johnny Dawkins man i hate to agree with the chief.................johnny dawkins, the most perfect, lefthanded jumpshooter ever.

Old Tiger
02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
He is not top 10 or top 5. He is top 50 though.

My Top 5(No Order):
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Christian Laettner
Wilt Chamberlin

HighSchool Fan
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

My Top 5(No Order):
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Christian Laettner
Wilt Chamberlin

jordan is the greatest pro player ever. i don't think he's top 5 in college.

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Redick starting over Pistol Pete your nuts bring the white suits and take you away that is riduculous.
Well then, give me your team. If that's what you think, then tell me why.

They're similar players, but Maravich was a little more creative while Redick seems to be able to play within the flow of the game better... and determine the flow of the game better.

It was tough picking Redick over Pistol Pete, JoJo White and Hurley, but given a second chance I'd do it again.

Old Tiger
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
Well he had to start somewhere:p

kosmo
02-27-2006, 03:20 PM
As a huge Duke fan for quite sometime, I think JJ Redick is the best player to ever come out of Duke. I don't think he is in the top 5 ever (or top 10) in College hoops, but at Duke, I think he is tops. He has gone from spot up three point shooter only as a freshman, to an all-around scoring threat as a senior. That said, all this discussion might be a moot point if Josh McRoberts stays for his full four years. I highly doubt this will happen. He might get two years if we are lucky. But, he has got the skill set, IMO to be better than Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, Jason Williams, and JJ Redick. JMHO

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 03:22 PM

My Top 5(No Order):
Michael Jordan
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
Christian Laettner
Wilt Chamberlin
That's a very good list, but most experts count The Big O as the best college player ever. Three scoring titles, three POY awards, a couple of national titles and the tallest true college PG of all time (Greg Kesler and Terry Donnelly were the starting guards during Magic's time in East Lansing).

Only two other players that I know of have ever won three POY awards: Ralph Sampson and Bill Walton. There may be others, I just don't know about them.

Old Tiger
02-27-2006, 03:23 PM
According to an analyst on ESPN I saw on a show they were comparing him to other Duke players and they did not rank him above these players; Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, and some other big name Duke players.

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 03:27 PM
According to an analyst on ESPN I saw on a show they were comparing him to other Duke players and they did not rank him above these players; Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, and some other big name Duke players.
Yeah, I originally put him in the top ten all time, but looking at it now I think I may have to bump him down to top-15 or -20 material. I'd still leave him in my All-Time All-American lineup, but Sampson, Laettner, Walton, and a bunch of other posts belong in there ahead of Redick.

I actually think he's better than Hill was, but that's just one man's opinion. Hill was overshadowed by Laettner and Hurley during his days in Raleigh-Durham.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-27-2006, 04:01 PM
My 5 (And how I'd position them). Its more of a lineup than the best 5 players ever.

G--Pete Maravich--The Pistol's numbers were comparable to any of the recent and more hyped college day players. But he scored without the three point arc. If you ever watch his old videos, its crazy. Almost And 1 like.

G--Oscar Robertson--He's already been spoken of on here so I won't say much. The guy's size, though, made him incredibly difficult to guard.

F--Larry Bird--Made Indiana State a household name. Teams didn't want to play them. Have you heard about them, lately? Enough said, IMO.

PF--Christian Laettner--I wrote earlier about him. Absolutely dominant.

C--Bill Walton--Its a tough pick for this spot. Look at the facts, though. 86-4 record, 2 national titles, 3 POYs. And in one of the most clutch Final Four performance, went 21 of 22 for 44 points in the 1973 Championship.

Just my thoughts...

big daddy russ
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM

Pmoney
02-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
My 5 (And how I'd position them). Its more of a lineup than the best 5 players ever.

G--Pete Maravich--The Pistol's numbers were comparable to any of the recent and more hyped college day players. But he scored without the three point arc. If you ever watch his old videos, its crazy. Almost And 1 like.

G--Oscar Robertson--He's already been spoken of on here so I won't say much. The guy's size, though, made him incredibly difficult to guard.

F--Larry Bird--Made Indiana State a household name. Teams didn't want to play them. Have you heard about them, lately? Enough said, IMO.

PF--Christian Laettner--I wrote earlier about him. Absolutely dominant.

C--Bill Walton--Its a tough pick for this spot. Look at the facts, though. 86-4 record, 2 national titles, 3 POYs. And in one of the most clutch Final Four performance, went 21 of 22 for 44 points in the 1973 Championship.

Just my thoughts...
i agree with your picks...and just to say the Pistol Pete is the best college basketball player to ever play