PDA

View Full Version : A Fun Prop Bet

Adidas410s
02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
So I'm reading my favorite blog today (Daniel Negreanu's blog)...and I came across this prop bet. I tried it out on some people at work...even gave them 3:1 and 4:1 on their money (we were betting a mere $5) and they still couldn't do it. So if you wanna make some money and laugh at people...try the following! By the way, I also included a riddle that he talked about after he explains the bet...

By that time Lori came by and so we hung out for a little bit. I went over to talk to James Garner when he busted out and he said something I found pretty funny.

Lori wasn't standing next to me, she was a table or so over. James looked over at her, and says, "She's got some nice buns, that one does."

I reply back to him, "Oh, you mean my wife?" Then, I grabbed Lori to come over to meet James and I was impressed with the fact that he didn't back down a bit, "Honey, you've got great buns. It's nice to meet you."

We ended up hanging out at the Commerce all night, downstairs at the restaurant/bar. Once again, Casey (he spells it with a K, but I like spelling it with a C... because I can) Thompson was there with his girlfriend Shandy.

We got to talking, and then Kasey, always the gambler, wanted to make a bizarre prop bet with me, "I'll give you one full minute to eat 10 saltine crackers (one at a time) without drinking any water," he says.

Well, I'm not good with eating bets so I declined. He then tells me that he'll give me three minutes to find anyone in the room to do it.

So I headed into the tournament area and saw... John Juanda! Sweet, he can eat anything. I don't know what it is about Asian dudes but they'll eat anything. If anyone could do it, I was betting on John.

I asked John if he thought he could do it and he seemed pretty confident. We headed down to the bar and lined up the crackers for John. John and I put down $10,000 each, getting 2-1 odds.

He was chowin' em' down pretty good, when all of a sudden it looked like he was coughing up powder. At about saltine number 6, John just shook his head and threw in the towel.

For the rest of the night, I was giving away a $1000 free roll to anybody who thought they could do it. One of the biggest security guard dudes I'd ever seen gave it a try... nope! Nobody could do it.

Later that night, "Amazing Race Rob and Brennan" dropped by, and Rob came up with one of the neatest riddles I've ever heard:

You are in a room with three light switches. Waaay down the hall is a light bulb that one of these switches controls. You can't see the other room or the light from the other room from the room you are in.

All three light switches are off and the light bulb is also off. Now, you can fiddle with the light switches any way you want. Then, you can go into the room down the hall where the light bulb is and come back to the original room where the switches are.

There is one specific way you'll know for certain which switch controls that light bulb.

This isn't a trick question at all, but you might have to think outside the box to get the right answer. I've never met anybody yet who got it.

PPHSfan
02-26-2006, 12:50 AM
I can answer the riddle.

You call the switches one two and three. You turn on switch number one and wait a minute and turn it off. You turn on switch number two and walk into the room.

Light number one will be hot. Light number two will be on, and light number three will be off.

Where is my ten grand?

Gobbla2001
02-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I can answer the riddle.

You call the switches one two and three. You turn on switch number one and wait a minute and turn it off. You turn on switch number two and walk into the room.

Light number one will be hot. Light number two will be on, and light number three will be off.

Where is my ten grand?

You should get 20 grand...

10 grand for understanding the question...

10 grand for getting the question right ha...

good job, looks good to me...

kepdawg
02-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
You should get 20 grand...

10 grand for understanding the question...

10 grand for getting the question right ha...

good job, looks good to me...

The problem is that the riddle says nothing of 3 light bulbs!

sinton66
02-26-2006, 09:17 AM
The riddle also doesn't address the location of the switches. One should be able to assume if it's a hallway, there should be a switch on both ends that control the hallway light. The third switch would control a light in the next room or somewhere else. The technique is correct though, turn on the first switch and then turn it back off if it doesn't prove out, then move to the second.

PPHSfan
02-26-2006, 11:59 AM
I just took it two steps further to show off.

Gobbla2001
02-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Adidas, I'm gunna freaking kill you...

I tried to eat 10 crackers in less than a minute last night with no water or anything...

Let's just say: Almost.... choked...

Adidas410s
02-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Adidas, I'm gunna freaking kill you...

I tried to eat 10 crackers in less than a minute last night with no water or anything...

Let's just say: Almost.... choked...

hehe...now that you know it can't be done....go to a bar and get drunk people to put up money and try it. Even offer them 2 or 3 to 1 on their money...it's quite profitable!

PPHSfan
02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
No props for me solving the riddle?:confused:

Adidas410s
02-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
No props for me solving the riddle?:confused:

that wasn't the bet. That was just a riddle that was in the blog. I still haven't taken the time to try and read through it and figure it all out...

PPHSfan
02-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
that wasn't the bet. That was just a riddle that was in the blog. I still haven't taken the time to try and read through it and figure it all out...

It's ok. I am probably the only one in this camp with the grey matter to solve this one.:D

sinton66
02-26-2006, 09:49 PM
They probably don't know about your genius yet.;)

Adidas410s
02-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
They probably don't know about your genius yet.;)

if that's what you want to call it! :thumbsup:

Haunta Yo
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
10 cracker challenge isn't as messy as the 1 hour/1gal of Milk challenge....
remember, max 2 hour total playing time - 1 hour for the drinking and 1 for the keeping it down. (the 1st part of the challenge can be done, but keeping it down ain't gonna happen)

You know ya got a sucker if they start asking the "skim" or 2% questions - reel 'em in !!!!

Adidas410s
02-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
10 cracker challenge isn't as messy as the 1 hour/1gal of Milk challenge....
remember, max 2 hour total playing time - 1 hour for the drinking and 1 for the keeping it down. (the 1st part of the challenge can be done, but keeping it down ain't gonna happen)

You know ya got a sucker if they start asking the "skim" or 2% questions - reel 'em in !!!!

The challenge is doable if you pace yourself. I came up with a system that worked and survived the challenge. However...I literally peed solid white for 2 days! :eek:

CenTexSports
02-27-2006, 10:07 AM
The light in the room with the switches must be on even though it is down or how else could you see the switches?

raider red 2000
02-27-2006, 10:34 AM
where do you read daniel nagraeu's blog at?

Adidas410s
02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
where do you read daniel nagraeu's blog at?

either on cardplayer.com or on his website, www.fullcontactpoker.com