PDA

View Full Version : for bass fishing fans only

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 02:19 PM
the bassmaster classic, the superbowl of bass fishing got underway yesterday. day 2 weighin can be seen on espn @ 3:30 this afternoon.

KISSIMMEE, Fla. — Not long after it was announced that the 36th annual CITGO Bassmaster Classic would be held on Lake Tohopekaliga, the competing anglers began talking about the possibility of record catches on a lake that is famous for them.

Friday, during the first day of the tournament, the anglers' hunches proved true. The three largest bass in Classic history were caught on Friday. And two anglers, Luke Clausen and Preston Clark, each flirted with 30-pound limits. It was a record-setting day — in good ways and some not so good ways as Michael Iaconelli would find out after having his catch disqualified from an unofficial-record second Classic.

But the stories of the day belonged to Clausen and Clark. Clausen, the Spokane Valley, Wash., pro who is fishing in his third Classic, caught five fish that totaled 29 pounds, 6 ounces. Clark, who lives in nearby Palatka, Fla., is not far behind with a limit which weighed 29-1. Both totals more than doubled the weight Kevin VanDam posted in Pittsburgh last year to win the 2005 Classic. Edwin Evers (23-10), Kevin Wirth (22-5) and Rick Clunn (20-12) rounded out the top five totals on after Day One.

Clausen fished in both Lake Kissimmee and Lake Tohopekaliga. He said despite windy and overcast conditions, he was confident he could catch fish after several solid practice sessions.

"I just had a good day," Clausen said. "I could go out tomorrow and maybe catch 10 pounds. I'm not sure if I can catch five fish. But I'll got back to the some of the areas that I got bit in today and try to milk them for what they're worth."

Local Florida pro Preston Clark put a record bucketmouth in his livewell and a second place on the leaderboard.The areas Clausen fished were primarily 3- to 5-feet deep. He used a junebug-colored hard-nose bait to land his lunkers.

"I wasn't surprised," he said. "My very first cast in one area got a 7-pounder. I knew right then where I was going to catch them."

Clark, who weighed in 34th out of the 51 competing anglers, held the lead for a short time. An 11-pound, 10-ounce monster anchored his total — the largest fish ever landed in Classic history. He also caught a 9-pounder in the same area of Lake Tohopekaliga right at sunrise.

Clark, who grew up fishing the waters of central Florida, said he was able to sight fish — something many of the anglers shied away from because of the gloomy weather.

"I've been doing it my whole life," he said. "In Florida, we can go down to Okeechobee in November when they start to spawn and they'll spawn all the way through June on the St. John's River. So I've got six months fishing for spawning fish where these other guys don't have that. Their window is very short."

But Clark still didn't figure he'd land nearly 30 pounds of bass. The overcast sky had him thinking lower.

Former Classic champion Mike Iaconelli's catch was disqualified after Day One."I thought that maybe I could go in and catch 15 pounds," Clark said. "And I if got lucky, I could have a 20-pound stringer. There's no way I thought I would have this much."

Evers was tight-lipped about the techniques he used on Day One. But his big fish did all the talking necessary. He said he plans on doing some different things the remainder of the tournament.

"I'm just going to get stubborn and probably fish some new water the second and third days," he said. "I'll just try to develop what I'm doing."

Wirth was pleased with his start and said being consistent is the key to sticking around the top of the leaderboard on Sunday.

"My goal was to get to 50 pounds — a 15, a 15 and a 20," Wirth said. "Right now, I've got the 20. But I still feel like if I catch a couple of 15-pound sacks or a little over that, I'll be in good shape."

Clunn, who is fishing in his record 30th Classic, landed a 10-pound, 10-ounce lunker that goes into the record books as the second largest fish in the tournament's history.

Rick Clunn, fishing in his record 30th Classic, landed a 10-10 lunker that goes into the books as the second largest in tourney history.Mark Tucker caught a 9-10 fish that also surpassed the old record of 8-9 set by Ricky Green in 1976. The top 10 was rounded out by Davy Hite (20-9), Jeff Kriet (20-3), Larry Nixon (19-8), Ish Monroe (19-2) and Ron Shuffield (18-15).

VanDam, who is looking to become the first angler in tour history to win four consecutive tournaments, has his work cut out for him if he is to continue his streak. He finished 25th after the first day of fishing with a 14-2 total.

"It should have been perfect (weather) for throwing a spinner or a buzzbait, something like that." VanDam said. "But they didn't bite for me."

Aaron Martens, who has three second-place finishes in the Classic (including the past two years), fared better, but not much better. Martens stands in a tie for 21st place with a 15-1 total.

Terry Scroggins, who like Clark is from Palatka, is in 38th place (10-14). Scroggins was considered by many to be the favorite to win this tournament. Former Classic champion Iaconelli, caught five fish for an 11-9 total, but he was disqualified for breaking BASS sportsmanship rules. BASS officials said they made the decision after viewing videotape that showed Iaconelli becoming angry after two of his fish expired and he "destroyed some safety equipment" on his boat.

GreenMonster
02-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Man, what happened for Ike's catches to be DQ'd? I missed it. I watched part of the day 2 weigh in but never heard anything about it.

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Man, what happened for Ike's catches to be DQ'd? I missed it. I watched part of the day 2 weigh in but never heard anything about it.

Ya see, The Bassmaters Classic has special rules that they use only for Ike...

One of those rules happens to govern his breakdancing...

If he can breakdance without falling off of the boat, everything is kosher...

But he fell off of the boat, so he was DQ'd...

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Man, what happened for Ike's catches to be DQ'd? I missed it. I watched part of the day 2 weigh in but never heard anything about it. you need to turn on espn because that's all they have been showing. ike for got to turn on his aerators yesterday and 2 of his fish died. he took his frustrations out on his stern light, like it caused all the problems. then he culled 2 dead fish. big no no. all caught on camera. i love it. the bad boy of fishing had a real bad day.

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
he took his frustrations out on his stern light, like it caused all the problems.

It did, I freakin' saw it... Ike didn't forget, the damned stern-light was paid off by that Van Dam feller, the light turned off the aerator...

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:08 PM
And the fish were not dead... They must have been Van Dam's pet bass that he has... he also has a pet possum... he got his possum to teach his pet bass how to play dead...

This is freaking wrong and you KNOW it!!! :mad:

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It did, I freakin' saw it... Ike didn't forget, the damned stern-light was paid off by that Van Dam feller, the light turned off the aerator... :doh::doh::doh:

GreenMonster
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Van Dam better watch out. I heard Ike was related to Chuck Norris. The rumor I heard has it that Chuck taught Ike how to do a reverse spin kick from a headstand while they were visiting at a family reunion recently. Bass fishing's bad boy just got a little bit badder!

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
:doh::doh::doh:

dude, I'm freakin' serious... it makes perfect sense...

Van Dam gets his pet possum to train his two pet bass how to play dead, alright? followin' me?

So anyway, Van Dam gets a 12 pack of beer and goes to Ike's hotel while Ike is sleeping to discuss some business with the stern-light on Ike's boat, right?

So they split the six pack (yah, stern-lights drink, man, I've seen it)... then Van Dam gives the light some money (dunno what stern-lights do with money, though, but it happened)...

THENNN Ike catches those two fish (because Van Dam told 'em what bait to bite on and where to bite on it at)...

So anyway, just before docking, while Ike is doing mad breakdancing, the stern-light shuts the aerator off... then the fish play dead...

IT'S A FREAKING SET-UP!!!

Never thought I'd see this type of riggin' goin' on in bass fishin'... sad day for anglers...

If you can't trust your stern-light, who or what in the hell can you trust???

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 07:17 PM
dude, I'm freakin' serious... it makes perfect sense...

Van Dam gets his pet possum to train his two pet bass how to play dead, alright? followin' me?

So anyway, Van Dam gets a 12 pack of beer and goes to Ike's hotel while Ike is sleeping to discuss some business with the stern-light on Ike's boat, right?

So they split the six pack (yah, stern-lights drink, man, I've seen it)... then Van Dam gives the light some money (dunno what stern-lights do with money, though, but it happened)...

THENNN Ike catches those two fish (because Van Dam told 'em what bait to bite on and where to bite on it at)...

So anyway, just before docking, while Ike is doing mad breakdancing, the stern-light shuts the aerator off... then the fish play dead...

IT'S A FREAKING SET-UP!!!

Never thought I'd see this type of riggin' goin' on in bass fishin'... sad day for anglers...

If you can't trust your stern-light, who or what in the hell can you trust??? that's great:clap::clap:

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:20 PM
I heard Ike was related to Chuck Norris.

You know, I never knew that, this could get very interesting now...

I bet the fish are the first to receive the roundhouse kicks... Ike-Style, baby....

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 07:35 PM
You know, I never knew that, this could get very interesting now...

I bet the fish are the first to receive the roundhouse kicks... Ike-Style, baby.... they won't get kicked tomorrow. :D ike will be in the booths signing autographs.

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 07:36 PM
they won't get kicked tomorrow. :D ike will be in the booths signing autographs.

Well, if he's anything like his relative, Chuck Norris, he can go back in time and kick 'em when they were younger and change the future...

Tomorrow we will be talking about how Van Dam was DQ'd and Ike won it all, that's how them Norris boys are...

lostaussie
02-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Well, if he's anything like his relative, Chuck Norris, he can go back in time and kick 'em when they were younger and change the future...

Tomorrow we will be talking about how Van Dam was DQ'd and Ike won it all, that's how them Norris boys are... you got that right. if i'm lucky kvd will be dq'ed tomorrow. that would make my weekend.

cdlvj
02-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Clunn, who is fishing in his record 30th Classic, landed a 10-pound, 10-ounce lunker that goes into the record books as the second largest fish in the tournament's history.

Rick Clunn, fishing in his record 30th Classic, landed a 10-10 lunker that goes into the books as the second largest in tourney history.Mark Tucker caught a 9-10 fish that also surpassed the old record of 8-9 set by Ricky Green in 1976. The top 10 was rounded out by Davy Hite (20-9), Jeff Kriet (20-3), Larry Nixon (19-8), Ish Monroe (19-2) and Ron Shuffield (18-15).

Clunn is my wife's 1st cousin. Anyone close to the 5 titles he has won?

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Clunn is my wife's 1st cousin. Anyone close to the 5 titles he has won? NOBODY . several have won 2.

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 09:05 AM
rick clunn has only won 4, but still impressive.

cdlvj
02-27-2006, 10:54 AM
rick clunn has only won 4, but still impressive.

That's right, I stand corrected.

JasperDog94
02-27-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm so sick of ESPN's coverage of BASS. They focus in on 5 or 6 guys and that's all you hear about. Ike can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. Bass fishing doesn't need a TO.

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm so sick of ESPN's coverage of BASS. They focus in on 5 or 6 guys and that's all you hear about. Ike can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. Bass fishing doesn't need a TO. you are absolutely right. if you only knew what i do. it is amazing how BASS leans toward certain "marketable"fishermen.

JasperDog94
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
you are absolutely right. if you only knew what i do. it is amazing how BASS leans toward certain "marketable"fishermen. Now you can't make a statement like that and not share. :thinking:

lostaussie
02-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Now you can't make a statement like that and not share. :thinking: unfortunately i can't. nature of the buisness. :D

JasperDog94
02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Who do you work for?