PDA

View Full Version : Bagwell in camp...what next?

Maroon87
02-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Bagwell reports to Astros despite insurance dispute

Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- The Houston Astros want their money. Jeff Bagwell wants to play.

The standoff between the NL champions and one of their most recognizable players took the expected awkward turn Friday when Bagwell arrived at spring training.

Bagwell had surgery in June on his right shoulder, and the Astros argue that Bagwell is too hurt to play. They filed an insurance claim in January to recoup about $15.6 million of the $17 million Bagwell is guaranteed this season.

"This is what I do, this is who I am," he said. "I can't just go away. That's not in my nature. I'm going to need a couple of weeks to see where I'm at and then make a decision from there."

The 37-year-old first baseman fielded grounders, made light throws and spent most of the team's first full-squad workout in the batting cage. He seemed relaxed but felt like the team's front office was watching every move.

"Just to get out here, get back on the field, I felt like it was a little bit of a trial camp today," Bagwell said. "I felt like I almost had to try and prove something, but yet I've got to sit back and say, 'No, I don't, I just have to get ready for April 1."'

Bagwell, the Astros' starting first baseman for 15 seasons, has said the team wants him to quit and that the situation has created a rift that may never be resolved.

He said the start of this spring training was "a little awkward," with his role on the team questioned for the first time.

"For so long, it's been, 'OK, he's playing first base. Don't even worry about him in spring training,"' Bagwell said. "But it's a different story now, and I fully understand that. That part has been a little weird for me, but that's the way it is right now." Bagwell has dealt with the arthritic shoulder since 2001 and says the team has never raised the issue until now. He batted no lower than .266 in the four years prior to 2005, when he missed 115 games following shoulder surgery.

"I've had plenty of conversations [in past years] where I didn't know if I was going to be able to do it, but I've always found a way to do it," Bagwell said. "And that's why I'm here again."

Owner Drayton McLane addressed the NL champions before the workout and made a point to shake hands with Bagwell. McLane said the two talked briefly and that he wanted to meet with Bagwell in the next few days.

"It's like everything in life -- close relationships have different experiences as you go," McLane said. "I've been closer to Jeff than any other player in my history of the Astros. This is a difficult time for him, and that's where friends help friends and that's what I'm here to do."

McLane flew to San Diego a few weeks ago and met with Bagwell's agent, Barry Axelrod. Bagwell was receptive to the idea of meeting with McLane in Kissimmee.

"Eventually, he and I are going to have to sit down and talk. When that is, we'll figure it out at some point," Bagwell said.

Bagwell is the franchise's leader in home runs (449), RBI (1,529) and runs (1,517). He returned late last season and could bat but could not throw. He went 1-for-8 with an RBI in the World Series.

Doctors hired by the Astros to examine Bagwell last month told the club that Bagwell's shoulder was still damaged and that the team could no longer expect him to be productive.

"His shoulder is impaired, there's no question about that from anybody," manager Phil Garner said. "But definitely, you can make too much of what you see or don't see today."

Bagwell said he was mad at the Astros for the way the process has unfolded.

"I understand the business side of baseball," he said. "If I cannot play baseball this year and I am physically unable to play with the Houston Astros, trust me, I want them to collect as much insurance as possible. I'll write the letter. That's not an issue for me. But I just want the chance to see if I can play."

AggieJohn
02-25-2006, 10:19 AM
i think he's a fighter

mrescape43
02-25-2006, 10:27 AM
It is terrible that all they are worried about is money.

AggieJohn
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
well they are mad because it's very backladened....this is money that bagwell was guaranteed that he defered to the end to make cap room for signings such as beltran and kent....bagwell took one for the team, and now he's basically wanting the team to take one for him

mrescape43
02-25-2006, 10:35 AM
True. There is no Owner-Management loyalty anymore.

AggieJohn
02-25-2006, 10:37 AM
their should be....they are lucky that biggio gave them a hometown discount or we would of had more of a problem

mrescape43
02-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I just hope he is healty enough to play and he has a good season. Whether or not that is in Houston remains to be seen. The way he is talking I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade. I just don't know how many teams would want to pick up his salary.

griff
02-25-2006, 10:59 AM
A trade is highly unlikely. I could see a minute possibility of a trade to an American League team where he could be a DH only, but I don't think it'll happen. No other team would want him in his condition, especially with his high salary. Plus, I don't think Bagwell wants to prolong his career with another team. He had a chance to sign with another team before the signing of his last contract, but he told the media he just can't see himself playing for anyone but the Astros. He wants to retire with Houston.

Two doctors have said his arthritic shoulder is not strong enough for him to play. Too many pro athletes have trouble accepting the fact that it's time to retire when that time arrives. Bagwell has to be honest with himself (and the Astros) and recognize his time has come.

AggieJohn
02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/spo/med/2006/02/ipt/1140831185.jpg

Cameron Crazy
02-25-2006, 12:05 PM
He is to old to be out there just like bonds...but anyway have a good day..

Hupernikomen
02-25-2006, 12:29 PM
Drayton will do the right thing. Jeff is in camp. He will see what he can or can't do. He will step aside and allow the Astros to collect insurance on him and make his millions while cheering on the Stros from the dugout.

scotty
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
I’m an Astros’ fan and have been ever since they’ve been in existence. And looking at both ends of the situation I can sympathize with both sides. I just don’t believe that Houston won’t be weakened if Bagwell is an everyday player. He just cannot make the throws that are needed in the Major leagues. There is very little option in a bunting situation and Bags happens to field the ball. Just about all he can do is tag the batter where someone like Burkeman may be able to get an out at second base. Bags can no longer do that. He’s been so good and loyal and I really hate to see this happening…but there comes a time when you just cannot do the things you used to be able to do. Mantle, Musial, Dimaggio, Ruth, Williams, Mays and so many others were forced to step aside and chances are that it’s time for Bags as well. And as far as management, he will get his money. And if I had paid insurance premiums to make sure someone’s health is such that he could perform the duties that he is paid to do and can’t, surely I would try to collect the insurance. He just can’t do what a $17,000,000 player should be able to do.
And keeping him for sentimental reasons may be good for public relations, but it could very well weaken the team. As a result one of the good, young prospects will not be on the roster if Bags is kept. I want the Astros to be at their best and I just don’t believe that keeping Bags on the roster will make them better.

SWMustang
02-25-2006, 02:19 PM
As stated earlier, Bagwell is getting paid regardless. It's just a matter of who's going to pay him. Early reports stated that the club had to file the claim before spring training started and that if Bagwell went to Spring training the Astros could not file. I think that's where the acrimony began. I'm a long time Astros fan too, and Jeff Bagwell has provided a lot of great memories for me. However, the team will be better with him not there. Berkman will have a better year playing first base on his surgically repaired knee than he would playing left field. There is a logjam in the outfield with the acquisition of Preston Wilson. Having Berkman on first base gives some of the young talent like Chris Burke and Eric Bruntlett more playing time.

Eagle6Man
02-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
As stated earlier, Bagwell is getting paid regardless. It's just a matter of who's going to pay him. Early reports stated that the club had to file the claim before spring training started and that if Bagwell went to Spring training the Astros could not file. I think that's where the acrimony began. I'm a long time Astros fan too, and Jeff Bagwell has provided a lot of great memories for me. However, the team will be better with him not there. Berkman will have a better year playing first base on his surgically repaired knee than he would playing left field. There is a logjam in the outfield with the acquisition of Preston Wilson. Having Berkman on first base gives some of the young talent like Chris Burke and Eric Bruntlett more playing time.

SWMustang,
As a fellow Houstonite, I wish I could share in your optimisim.

I think the pitching will falter this year. You can still jump on the Braves band wagon.

Maroon87
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
SWMustang,

I think the pitching will falter this year. You can still jump on the Braves band wagon.

After the last couple of years, I've learned to never doubt them.

SWMustang
02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Eagle6Man
SWMustang,

I'd never go to the dark side. Clemens is going to come back to Houston and pitch the last 2/3 of the season which is perfect for him. He won't run out of gas come playoff time. Heck, Wandy won 10 games last year. Carlos Hernandez is looking pretty good by all accounts. Now I'll grant you Zeke Astacio makes me nervous, but there are a couple of AAA guys (Buckholtz and Nieve) that look promising. Never count out them 'Stros.

I'm going to Tampa in two weeks and might be able to catch a couple of Spring games. They play the Phillies and the Yankees in the week I'll be down there. Both gamess start at 1 PM - I gotta figure a way to get out of work one of those afternoons.

AggieJohn
02-26-2006, 11:43 AM
sw, good outlook...and i think fernando nieve will be a mid season call up this year