PDA

View Full Version : Mack Brown Names Colt McCoy Starting QB For Next Year

ILS1
02-24-2006, 09:21 AM
By JIM VERTUNO

AP Sports Writer

AUSTIN — Texas redshirt freshman Colt McCoy is the No. 1 quarterback heading into spring practice, but freshman Jevan Snead will have a chance to compete for the job before the 2006 season opener, coach Mack Brown said Thursday.

The Longhorns return most of their starters from last season's national championship team but not quarterback Vince Young, who left school after his junior season to enter the NFL draft. Spring drills start Monday.

Naming McCoy the No. 1 quarterback is no surprise. He signed with Texas in 2005 and redshirted last season, running the scout team and taking some practice snaps with the second team as Texas went 13-0 and beat Southern Cal 41-38 in the Rose Bowl.

Snead, one of the Longhorns' top recruits this year, graduated from Stephenville High School in December and enrolled at Texas in January in order to practice this spring. He traveled with the Longhorns to the White House earlier this month to meet President Bush.

They are the only two scholarship quarterbacks on the roster.

"It would be unfair to throw Jevan out there immediately because he's only been in school a month. We do want him to be able to relax," Brown said. "Jevan's never taken a snap here. Colt's been here six months."

Texas closes practice to the media and fans until spring drills conclude with a scrimmage April 1. The Longhorns open the 2006 season at home Sept. 2 against North Texas.

"We'll have the inexperience at quarterback, but we think the talent is there," Brown said.

Texas is riding a 20-game winning streak and likely would have been the consensus preseason No. 1 had Young stayed for another season. Instead, Texas must groom its two young quarterbacks to be ready to play earlier than expected.

Young's departure left a huge hole in the offense. He was 30-2 as a starter and was the Texas career leader in total offense (9,167 yards), touchdowns (81) and rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (37).

He also had the intangible leadership qualities and knack for making the big play.

Brown said McCoy and Snead must learn how to manage a game before worrying about how to win one.

"Don't you think you'll be the guy to just walk out there and run down the field and kill everybody," Brown said. "That's not the way it happens. Play within the system. Be smart."

Story Link (www.statesman.com/sports/content/shared-gen/ap/General_College_Sports_News/FBC_T25_Texas_Quarterbacks.html)

Chief Ohera
02-24-2006, 11:01 AM
congrats to the longhorns, it looks to me as if it's going to be a DOWN year for the longhorns, but however i don't think they will lose as many games as did the almighty sooners did last year.
it looks to me being that Colt is a redshirt he is going to have some growing pains, just like RHETT bomar, did in his redshirt season last year,
now you guys can't possilby tell me that he won't experience some of the same things RHETT did last year, there is no question in my mind that UT will not go Undefeted like last year, come on now gentlemen. now you guys tell me who was the better qb. and who is the better qb, Bomar and Colt, now colt is good but i don't see him leading UT to the title game, at least not next year,
now for AD and Bomar, they will become the next Leinhart and Reggie combo in college football,
UT will be good but they won't win the title or even the BIG 12.

so my brothers,
until next time..........your buddy the CHIEF

JasperDog94
02-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Leave it to the chief to turn this thread into an UT vs. OU thread.:rolleyes:

STANG RED
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Chief, I seriously doubt anyone is betting too much on the Longhorns repeating as national champs again this year. Colt most certainly will have some growing pains, and will take a year or two to fully develop into a great college QB. But with the great recruiting Texas has done the last few years, he is going to have lots and lots of talent around him that will take a huge load off of him having to carry the whole team. With the schedule they have next year, they probably will lose 2 or 3 games at the most. It will be a great season, and Colt will mature quickly into the kind of QB that Texas will need to make another run at the national championship in 08, & 09. Just wait and see.
By the way, I'm not even a UT fan. I just know what I see.
I wouldnt even mind giving OU the props they deserve, but you just take all the fun out of that. I have become more of an OU hater, just since you joined the board. I will say this however, I do believe OU has the better head coach, but UT has the better man.

HighSchool Fan
02-24-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I will say this however, I do believe OU has the better head coach, but UT has the better man.

ou did have the better coach at one time. but the better coach now coaches in arizona.

NateDawg39
02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I can see UT loosing 2 games this next season, but they wont be blownout by anyone. They have a lot of talent coming back and I think they will be a true contender for the Big 12. I do not see anyone in the Big 12 being capable of beating them just yet.

3afan
02-24-2006, 11:41 AM
BTW, Mack has not named MCCoy as "Starting QB For Next Year" as the title of this thread suggests .............. just # 1 as spring practice starts

chief - as for who is better, Bomar or McCoy? ask again in 2 years !!!

KTJ
02-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Agreed that we have too much talent. All Colt really has to do is hand the ball off to Ramonce or Jamaal. And every once in a while throw to Billy, Quan, Limas, or Ship. He doesn't need to run like Vince.

If we slip by Ohio State (which I'm giving us the edge right now only because we're playing at home--hopefully at 2:30 in the Texas heat, which Mack wants to do but I know it's going to be a night game) and their suspect defense, the only game I'd really be worried about is Tech.

OU would be a tossup, IMO.

kaorder1999
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
ive never understood why a number one had to be named before spring drills start. Why cant the number one be named during hte spring drills or even after?

lostaussie
02-24-2006, 11:49 AM
can't do anything but help colt knowing that all he has to do is play his game and not worry about looking over his shoulder. now the focus is on getting better rather than who is going to start. good move by mack brown.

3afan
02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
again, he was not named the "starter" for the UNT game on 9/2 ... just #1 going into the spring - big difference

kaorder1999
02-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
again, he was not named the "starter" for the UNT game on 9/2 ... just #1 going into the spring - big difference

i know what you are saying but why does a number 1 have to be named going INTO the spring?

3afan
02-24-2006, 12:09 PM
someone's got to go 1st in the drills !!!! :p

STANG RED
02-24-2006, 12:13 PM
He's just stoking the fire under Colt a little bit, and probably the other kid a little as well. It will just make both of them work that much harder in the off season. Kindof lets them know where they stand right now, without carving it in stone. Its a good move.

Phil C
02-24-2006, 12:37 PM
I think some of the posters here expect Sam Houston State to upset the Longhorns because SHS reached the finals two years ago in Division 2 and are considered very dangerous and formidable indeed.

STANG RED
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think a some of the posters here expect Sam Houston State to upset the Longhorns because SHS reached the finals two years ago in Division 2 and are considered very dangerous and formidable indeed.

It'll be alot like pitting the 3A champ against the 5A champ. The 3A boys would probably see limited success, and they would certainly let the 5A boys know, they were there to play, but I dont think there would be much doubt about what the final outcome would be.
Unless Texas comes in unprepared, and/or unmotivated, they should beat SHS handily. They better be ready though, you know SHS will come in with visions of being a "giant killer". They will not lack for motivation. Momentun can be a powerful alie to the underdog, if he manages to get it going.

Adidas410s
02-24-2006, 12:57 PM
I think a some of the posters here expect Sam Houston State to upset the Longhorns because SHS reached the finals two years ago in Division 2 and are considered very dangerous and formidable indeed.

put down the crack pipe Phil! :smoker:

As for Chief...don't look for Colt to go through the same hardships at Bomar because he will 1) have a good OL behind him and 2) have a system that doesn't require him to drop back, read coverages, and try and throw on a constant basis. The 2nd thing was only magnified for BlowU once Peterson's ankle got messed up. Colt will be ok. Look for Texas to go 9-2 10-2 or 11-1 and possibly play in a BCS bowl.

Chief Ohera
02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
now you guys agree with my intellengene, thank you all very much, texas does have the recruits but mack had one good season of coaching but that is b/c he had VY to do everything for him, everyone knows that stoops has had the upper hand here of lately except for last year, but look for AD to be in the hiesman hunt.

so brothers and confidents for ever and always your buddy of the CHIEF of the big twelve
until next time................

Maroon87
02-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
but that is b/c he had VY to do everything for him

But I thought VY wasn't very good? :confused:

Chief Ohera
02-24-2006, 01:34 PM
he's not very good at passing,
until next time.........i don't care about his passing effiency or rating it all doesn't matter in the NFL.

Gobbla2001
02-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Bomar didn't have a very good offensive line, and didn't have a bucket full of very good running backs to take the pressure off of him...

I think Colt will do a very good job behind a very talented offensive line, and the longhorn defensive unit is still gunna be just as good...

You say you don't care about VY's passing efficiency, chief, because it doesn't matter in the NFL... but you're not talking about the NFL in this thread, are you? You're talking about College ball... see, once someone proves you wrong, you do a 180 and dart off into another direction (in which you get blasted there as well)...

"Now you guys agree with my intellengene"

#1 - What in the hell is intellengene??? You gotta make up words to make sense now???

#2 - I believe you meant intelligence

#3 - No one was agreeing with you, we were sharing our own opinions... just because they are simular to your opinions in a way (hell froze over), doesn't mean you get to take credit for it (AKA: Don't flatter yourself)...

Chief Ohera
02-24-2006, 01:56 PM
gobbler, your intellegence, baffles me, you seem to know alot, you must be proud of your comments, congrats to you,
please don't come on here and bash my comments, i say what i feel needs to be said and if you don't like my opinion than please dont comment
your friend and confident the CHIEF.

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Bomar didn't have a very good offensive line, and didn't have a bucket full of very good running backs to take the pressure off of him...

I think Colt will do a very good job behind a very talented offensive line, and the longhorn defensive unit is still gunna be just as good...

You say you don't care about VY's passing efficiency, chief, because it doesn't matter in the NFL... but you're not talking about the NFL in this thread, are you? You're talking about College ball... see, once someone proves you wrong, you do a 180 and dart off into another direction (in which you get blasted there as well)...

"Now you guys agree with my intellengene"

#1 - What in the hell is intellengene??? You gotta make up words to make sense now???

#2 - I believe you meant intelligence

#3 - No one was agreeing with you, we were sharing our own opinions... just because they are simular to your opinions in a way (hell froze over), doesn't mean you get to take credit for it (AKA: Don't flatter yourself)... http://www.nndb.com/people/542/000024470/snoopdogg48-sized.jpg
Church!!

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
gobbler, your intellegence, baffles me, you seem to know alot, you must be proud of your comments, congrats to you,
please don't come on here and bash my comments, i say what i feel needs to be said and if you don't like my opinion than please dont comment

you aint the king or chief of ish.. this is HIS site.. dont like what he says, bounce kid.

big daddy russ
02-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
http://www.nndb.com/people/542/000024470/snoopdogg48-sized.jpg
Church!!
What is church?

big daddy russ
02-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by STANG RED
It'll be alot like pitting the 3A champ against the 5A champ. The 3A boys would probably see limited success, and they would certainly let the 5A boys know, they were there to play, but I dont think there would be much doubt about what the final outcome would be.
Unless Texas comes in unprepared, and/or unmotivated, they should beat SHS handily. They better be ready though, you know SHS will come in with visions of being a "giant killer". They will not lack for motivation. Momentun can be a powerful alie to the underdog, if he manages to get it going.

Originally posted by Adidas410s
put down the crack pipe Phil! :smoker: ...

I love it. Phil, you crack me up buddy.

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
What is church?

something snoop says when he agrees

KTJ
02-24-2006, 02:46 PM
If Texas goes 10-2 or 11-1, we will definitely be playing in a BCS bowl since we now have the BCS +1 system.

mustang04
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
colts not THAT good...i watched him before the UT/ Colorado game....nothing great

UT's ground game is gonna see huge numbers unless McCoy improves alot....it would be sad cuz they have great receivers

Adidas410s
02-24-2006, 03:00 PM
your friend and confident the CHIEF. .

wait...so we can no longer debate with somebody if we have disagreeing opinions??? We might as well shut this place down...

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

wait...so we can no longer debate with somebody if we have disagreeing opinions??? We might as well shut this place down...

according to chief of dictators

Maroon87
02-24-2006, 03:05 PM
according to chief of dictators

Chief O'Hitler?:eek: :p

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Chief O'Hitler?:eek: :p

i think chief married hitlers sister. . .

3afan
02-24-2006, 03:20 PM

i dont think anyone expects that ....

mustang04
02-24-2006, 03:21 PM
thats like comparing the 1A state champs to southlake carrol

DaHop72
02-24-2006, 03:23 PM
i think chief married hitlers sister. . . I think it was General Burkhalter's sister that he is married to.:doh:

District303aPastPlayer
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I think it was General Burkhalter's sister that he is married to.:doh:

my bad

Gobbla2001
02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Reggie Reggie Reggie - Vince Young looks like chit during pregame, so you can tell a player's worth by their pregames??? You're halarious haha...

Adidas - No, Chief's opinion is the only one that matters on this message board... what would his opinion be worth if people responded to it and made him look like a fool? Oh, that's right, what it's worth now...

Gobbla2001
02-24-2006, 06:56 PM

My intellEgence shouldn't baffle you, but my intell'i'gence should...

And I'm sorry, I do not know alot... but I do know A Lot, pretty nice guy...

And I am very proud of my comments.... I mean, look at the complete chit you just came up with in response to them.. I am very proud to expose you for the disgrace to all OU fans that you are, Chief OHater...

You're kind of like a one-legged man in a butt-whuppin' contest... with an eight-legged man...

injuredinmelee
02-24-2006, 07:05 PM
congrats to the longhorns, it looks to me as if it's going to be a DOWN year for the longhorns, but however i don't think they will lose as many games as did the almighty sooners did last year.
it looks to me being that Colt is a redshirt he is going to have some growing pains, just like RHETT bomar, did in his redshirt season last year,
now you guys can't possilby tell me that he won't experience some of the same things RHETT did last year, there is no question in my mind that UT will not go Undefeted like last year, come on now gentlemen. now you guys tell me who was the better qb. and who is the better qb, Bomar and Colt, now colt is good but i don't see him leading UT to the title game, at least not next year,
now for AD and Bomar, they will become the next Leinhart and Reggie combo in college football,
UT will be good but they won't win the title or even the BIG 12.

so my brothers,
until next time..........your buddy the CHIEF

Bomar has never been a winner his entire life. His high school team is terrible and now his college team is terrible. He gets flustered easily and makes a ton of mistakes. Time will tell on Colt. Knowing him personally and watching him play since he was a jr high kid I know what kind of young man he is and what type of work ethic he possesses and I can tell you he will and has worked his tail off in his short time in Austin. When I was there at the beginning of the month he told me all the extra work he has been putting in so i know he is doing everything he can to prepare himself. He doesnt talk a big game like Rhett Bommie sooner but we will have to see who looks better after the season. There is no guarantee that the Snead kid from Stephenville will not beat Colt out. It wont be easy for him coming in trying to learn the offense but it will be a fun battle to watch.

injuredinmelee
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
ou did have the better coach at one time. but the better coach now coaches in arizona.

holy smokes my brother we agree on something again, and you know im always right...
;) ;) ;)

injuredinmelee
02-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i know what you are saying but why does a number 1 have to be named going INTO the spring?
to keep the idiotic media pacified and to avoid the QB controversy questions. I doubt the announcement will totally stop the questions but it might keep a few of the media drools quiet for a minute or two.

Gobbla2001
02-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Bomar has never been a winner his entire life. His high school team is terrible and now his college team is terrible. He gets flustered easily and makes a ton of mistakes. Time will tell on Colt. Knowing him personally and watching him play since he was a jr high kid I know what kind of young man he is and what type of work ethic he possesses and I can tell you he will and has worked his tail off in his short time in Austin. When I was there at the beginning of the month he told me all the extra work he has been putting in so i know he is doing everything he can to prepare himself. He doesnt talk a big game like Rhett Bommie sooner but we will have to see who looks better after the season. There is no guarantee that the Snead kid from Stephenville will not beat Colt out. It wont be easy for him coming in trying to learn the offense but it will be a fun battle to watch.

Also, you have to factor this in:

HE WAS NAMED THE STARTING QB FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPION UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS LONGHORNS, during spring practices, anyway...

It's not like he was named starting QB for, well, OU last year or something (which didn't say much)...

Bomar's a good QB... just give him some time and a good offensive line, better receivers, coordinators, more quality running backs and a 15 second head start and he'll be par...

Gobbla2001
02-24-2006, 07:23 PM
IF A&M's McGee would have started for OU, they would have one atleast one more game, and would have slightly been in the game against Texas...

IF Vince Young was their starting QB, they would have won atleast two more games than they did, would have still lost to Texas because OU's defense stunk it up (VY didn't do half the damage against the Later, I mean Sooner D)...

mrescape43
02-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
colts not THAT good...i watched him before the UT/ Colorado game....nothing great

UT's ground game is gonna see huge numbers unless McCoy improves alot....it would be sad cuz they have great receivers

I agree with you. (Knowing that you are from Sweetwater I can't believe I said that!) JK. :D :D This very well could be a down year for UT offense.

mustang04
02-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Reggie Reggie Reggie - Vince Young looks like chit during pregame, so you can tell a player's worth by their pregames??? You're halarious haha...

u cant tell their full worth, but u can have an idea...and pretty sure Vince's pre-game was really good, cuz if it wasnt, then why would i degrade a second stringer who wasnt good either????

Hupernikomen
02-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by ILS1

"It would be unfair to throw Jevan out there immediately because he's only been in school a month. We do want him to be able to relax," Brown said. "Jevan's never taken a snap here. Colt's been here six months."

That made me smile. Don't want to throw him out there immediately..besides the other guy already has 6 months experience.

Maroon87
02-25-2006, 01:37 AM
The UT QB situation will be like waiting to see which newly licensed driver (McCoy or Snead) will get the keys to Dad's new Ferrari.:D

HighSchool Fan
02-25-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
you know im always right...

:thinking: isn't everyone aware of that ;)

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 11:01 AM
u cant tell their full worth, but u can have an idea...and pretty sure Vince's pre-game was really good, cuz if it wasnt, then why would i degrade a second stringer who wasnt good either????

You're just being pessimistic...

I honestly do not believe that the Colt will just burst out his first, hell, even second year... But I do not KNOW that... but something tells me that when Mack Brown offered this kid a scholorship that it was for a 'reason'... And according to you, it wasn't his pregame, which would be retarted anyhow... did a receiver drop the ball or something? What exactly did you SEE/NOT SEE during pregame to give you an 'idea' that Colt was not going to be a good QB for UT or anyone? Was it because he was warming up right next to Vince Young??? Would be a tough act to follow, that's for sure...

(The kid was a redshirt freshman when you saw his horrible display of pregame warm-ups, not a mid 90's Jordan)

Cameron Crazy
02-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Colts dad is the AD at Graham where i go....Colt came to our two a days last year is big and can throw really well i hope to see him succeed there..GO HORNS

CHSWR07
02-25-2006, 02:45 PM
ya i kinda no colt like he used to help out with the hardin simmons football camp all the time me and his youngest brother are pretty good friends

injuredinmelee
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
:thinking: isn't everyone aware of that ;)

They def should be my man!

mustang04
02-25-2006, 06:36 PM
You're just being pessimistic...

I honestly do not believe that the Colt will just burst out his first, hell, even second year... But I do not KNOW that... but something tells me that when Mack Brown offered this kid a scholorship that it was for a 'reason'... And according to you, it wasn't his pregame, which would be retarted anyhow... did a receiver drop the ball or something? What exactly did you SEE/NOT SEE during pregame to give you an 'idea' that Colt was not going to be a good QB for UT or anyone? Was it because he was warming up right next to Vince Young??? Would be a tough act to follow, that's for sure...

(The kid was a redshirt freshman when you saw his horrible display of pregame warm-ups, not a mid 90's Jordan)

it was the placement of almost ALL of his passes, im not saying he SUX, but he is not as good as many hyped him to be, and theres no way that im gonna be proven wrong, cuz if he does start next year, he'll have had a full year of maturing to get better, so therefore u will never have a clue what i was talkin about...but yeah i could see how he was a really good 2A QB

Gobbla2001
02-25-2006, 06:42 PM
it was the placement of almost ALL of his passes, im not saying he SUX, but he is not as good as many hyped him to be, and theres no way that im gonna be proven wrong, cuz if he does start next year, he'll have had a full year of maturing to get better, so therefore u will never have a clue what i was talkin about...but yeah i could see how he was a really good 2A QB

There weren't any cheerleaders to watch or anything? You just watched the 3rd string QB throw balls all pre-game?

He prolly did screw up on his passes, though... it was pregame, you know... you do it to 'get' loose, not because you are 'already' loose...

mustang04
02-25-2006, 07:34 PM
There weren't any cheerleaders to watch or anything? You just watched the 3rd string QB throw balls all pre-game?

He prolly did screw up on his passes, though... it was pregame, you know... you do it to 'get' loose, not because you are 'already' loose...

nah..i know sum the cheerleaders, so i wasnt to worried about watchin them, i was actually eager to see the "one and only" colt mccoy, and needless to say i was a lil dissapointed...i hope he does good dont get me wrong, but im saying that inmy opinion he was not as AWESOME as he was hyped up to be

sinton66
02-26-2006, 09:42 AM
Reggie, all Gobbla is saying is it's CAREER stats that tell "the tale". It's almost impossible to judge a QB's (or any other position for that matter) ability by watching one practice.

Jordan Shipley hasn't played a down for UT yet, but I can guarantee you he will make some BIG noise when he does based solely on his career record and having watched him play against my Pirates for the Regional title two years in a row.