PDA

View Full Version : We've Never Been Licked

Phil C
02-23-2006, 05:58 PM
This was a movie made in 1943 that was obviously made to support the war effort and it also was a great WWII moral film for Texas A&M graduates fighting overseas. It shows the Japanese in a bad light but remember it was made in the early 40s during the war and there was much bitterness over the bombing of Pearl Harbor. It is about 103 minutes long and Texas A&M University owns all the copies I think. It stars Richard Quine and Anne Gwynne who both became character actors. Also in it is character actor Noah Beery Jr. who appeared in many movies and television roles such as To Kill a Mockingbird. Also William Frawley appears as a traveling salesman and he later became famous as the neighbor Fred in the 1950s I Love Lucy TV series.
Also appearing in the movie who later became famous in movies such as The Wonderful Country and El Dorado with John Wayne is Robert Mitchum as Panhandle Mitchell.

Most of the movie takes place on the Aggie campus and it shows how life was like and lots of the traditions that A&M was famous for. Also many of the buildings shown in the movie are still there. Of course it is dated but when you consider the time it was made and the mood of the country it will make sense.

I think it is only shown on campus at Texas A&M but let's hope someday it can be shown on TCM so we can all enjoy this history. Maybe AggieJohn got to see it when he went there.

AggieJohn
02-23-2006, 08:45 PM
no i never actually got to see it, however, it's in every bookstore in town, still.........................

Phil C
02-23-2006, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
no i never actually got to see it, however, it's in every bookstore in town, still.........................

You mean in College Station? And shame on you for not seeing it. :)

Phil C
02-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey AggieJohn can you email me a store web site or phone number where I can order the video. It is great historical value and tells about an era in time in our history.