PDA

View Full Version : Is VY.....

Bullaholic
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
The best QB who ever played in the Big 12 or old SWC? The best collegiate QB in history among all colleges in the nation?
Where does his college career rank him among the great college QB's?

I know VY's playing abilities have been discussed at length on the board, but I wonder where everyone places him in college history. I hope everyone doesn't say--"Great--another Vince Young thread"--if so, I apologize in advance, but I felt like there might be some good discussion of how good everybody feels VY was historically when compared to all of the great collegiate QB's who have gone before him.

I personally would place him in the Top 10, maybe as high as 5th, but no higher. Here's a pretty good site for historical collegiate data:

http://www.collegefootballresource.com/tradition/

NateDawg39
02-23-2006, 12:28 PM
He obviously has the numbers to be considered one of the "great" Big 12 QB's of all time. I would put him at number 2 behind a friend of mine from Texas Tech:D Cody Hodges.

kaorder1999
02-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Behind Hodges? HMMM

NateDawg39
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Behind Hodges? HMMM Well...just because he is a friend of the family and he dated my cousin in High School. He was the "cool guy" when I was younger.

kaorder1999
02-23-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Well...just because he is a friend of the family and he dated my cousin in High School. He was the "cool guy" when I was younger.

gotcha

Chief Ohera
02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
chris sims is the best UT player at QB, he was amazing, just did everything right, VY was the best athlete and best running QB, but certainly not the best OVERALL qb, doen't have the right mechanics, he got away with it in college, but he won't in the NFL,
forever and always your buddy and confident the CHIEF,

jason white was the best big twelve qb ever,
BOOMER SOONER

DaHop72
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
chris sims is the best UT player at QB, he was amazing, just did everything right, VY was the best athlete and best running QB, but certainly not the best OVERALL qb, doen't have the right mechanics, he got away with it in college, but he won't in the NFL,

BOOMER SOONER
Hey, it's Adam from Merkel.:thumbsup:

NateDawg39
02-23-2006, 03:19 PM

BOOMER SOONER Thats why this is a thread about the best in the Big 12 and such...not NFL

Old Tiger
02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Applewhite was better than Sims. I would put VY at #2 behind Tommy Frazier of Nebraska

big daddy russ
02-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Applewhite was better than Sims. I would put VY at #2 behind Tommy Frazier of Nebraska
Was Frazier around during the Big XII or Big Eight days? Not being a s/a, I'm just wondering.

I know the start of the Big XII and Frazier's playing days were real close... if he didn't play in the Big XII it was only by a year or two.

Here's a list of the guys I can think of off the top of my head. Discuss.

Tommy Frazier, Neb (if he was here during the Big XII years)
Vince, UT
Sammy Baugh, TCU
Bobby Layne, UT
Ell Roberson, KSU
Eric Crouch, Neb
Don Meredith, SMU
Davey O'Brien, TCU
Andre Ware, Houston
Josh Heupel, OU
Corey Pullig, TAMU
Marty Akins, UT
Major Applewhite, UT

big daddy russ
02-23-2006, 04:41 PM
I got Vince in the top three. He's on that Tommy Frazier/Andre Ware-level of guys who could do absolutely anything they wanted on a college gridiron.

I can't see Applewhite being any higher than a top-15 guy. His legacy is as much "what if" as it is what he actually did. His first two years he was All-Conference. He will go down as the best, most clutch backup UT's ever had, but in the end I can't see putting him above guys like Frazier, Young, Ware, and Heupel.

I actually have Applewhite tied for third on my list of UT quarterbacks.
1. Young
2. Bobby Layne
3. (T) Marty Akins/Major

Phil C
02-23-2006, 04:41 PM
Vince Young was the best ever.

sahen
02-23-2006, 05:23 PM
eric crouch....a heisman and 2 national titles right? atleast that is my opinion im sure there r many on here...

big daddy russ
02-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sahen
eric crouch....a heisman and 2 national titles right? atleast that is my opinion im sure there r many on here...
I think you're thinking of Frazier. Crouch did win the Heisman, but never a national title.

He did go to the title game once, but they got beat by Miami.

mustang04
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Well...just because he is a friend of the family and he dated my cousin in High School. He was the "cool guy" when I was younger.

dude...one of my best friends went to school w/ cody in hereford but he moved to sweetwater in 8th grade......

sahen
02-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I think you're thinking of Frazier. Crouch did win the Heisman, but never a national title.

He did go to the title game once, but they got beat by Miami.
ahhhhh that makes me 0-2 in like the past 2 days on sports facts...what the heck, i think im studying too much....gotta stop its messing w/ my sports stuff....i remember that now, too bad i didnt earlier...but oh well we all make mistakes....

mrescape43
02-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

You are right on this one, Applewhite should never have been replaced by Sims.

sinton66
02-23-2006, 07:38 PM
Unlike Chief, I recognize Simms as the big bust of a failure like everybody else in the state recognized. Simms wasn't worth dog doo. The Chief does know dog doo, though. Maybe that's what's confusing him.:D

LH Panther Mom
02-23-2006, 07:48 PM
chris sims is the best UT player at QB, he was amazing, just did everything right,

BOOMER SOONER

:doh: :doh: Did you ever actually watch Chris Simms play? He did set some records, but there was quite a bit of turmoil, particularly when he started racking up the numbers of interceptions. :rolleyes:

mrescape43
02-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: Did you ever actually watch Chris Simms play? He did set some records, but there was quite a bit of turmoil, particularly when he started racking up the numbers of interceptions. :rolleyes:

Chris Simms was a good QB but he was never able to come through in the big game. Major Applewhite had to bail him out on more than one occasion and should have remained the starting QB. IMO

LH Panther Mom
02-23-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Chris Simms was a good QB but he was never able to come through in the big game. Major Applewhite had to bail him out on more than one occasion and should have remained the starting QB. IMO
I knew I forgot something. He was good, but the "greatest UT player at QB" was a stretch.

Chief Ohera
02-23-2006, 09:06 PM
i believe jason white is the best sooner qb, and a better passer than VY, if he had two good knees in his college days then he probablly would have wound up as one of the top three qb's ever in the HISTORY of the college football game.
josh hyple was no joke ither,
so brothers for ever and always your buddy the CHIEF of the BIG 12,
until next time..........................

mrescape43
02-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I knew I forgot something. He was good, but the "greatest UT player at QB" was a stretch.

Yes it was. I just couldn't believe it when they benched Applewhite for Simms. I just wonder if that would have ever happened if Major hadn't injured his knee.

big daddy russ
02-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sahen
ahhhhh that makes me 0-2 in like the past 2 days on sports facts...what the heck, i think im studying too much....gotta stop its messing w/ my sports stuff....i remember that now, too bad i didnt earlier...but oh well we all make mistakes....
Hey, you get a half point for nailing the Heisman thing.

Cameron Crazy
02-23-2006, 09:50 PM
Vince is better than hodges in every catagory....he has it all

mrescape43
02-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Vince is better than hodges in every catagory....he has it all

Vince and Hodges shouldn't even be mentioned in the same circles. I don't think Hodges name would even be here if Graham Harrell hadn't broken his leg during the spring. I think that 6-8 week loss was the only reason he wasn't able to take the starting job from Cody.

Cameron Crazy
02-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Amen just like i said

JasperDog94
02-24-2006, 12:14 AM
i believe jason white is the best sooner qb, and a better passer than VY, if he had two good knees in his college days then he probablly would have wound up as one of the top three qb's ever in the HISTORY of the college football game.
josh hyple was no joke ither,
so brothers for ever and always your buddy the CHIEF of the BIG 12,
until next time.......................... uhhhh....sure. But answer me this chief:

Didn't Jason White get layed out by the same defence that Vince destroyed in the National Title game? USC had their way with the OU offense in 04. Vince tore 'em up in 05. (Greatest college team of all time, right ESPN?)

neck_06
02-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The best QB who ever played in the Big 12 or old SWC? The best collegiate QB in history among all colleges in the nation?

no.

NateDawg39
02-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
no. Simple and too the point