PDA

View Full Version : Open-closed campus lunch

NateDawg39
02-22-2006, 04:48 PM
I was reading the paper on-line for the Wise county area (Decatur, Bridgeport). For a few months now the school board has been arguing over the issue if, Decatur High school should switch from an open campus that allows studenst to go to lunch to resturants or home, to a closed campus that will make them stay on for the whole day. Should they keep the off-campus lunch or change it for next year?

Maroon87
02-22-2006, 04:51 PM
When I was in school we had closed campus except during semester exams, so I think that's the way to go. It kept a lot of people outta trouble I'm sure.:devil:

JasperDog94
02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Lemme see. As a parent I would want my child to:

a. Stay at school and eat lunch there, where I know that they are reasonably safe.

or

b. Pile in a car with a bunch of other teenagers to run to the local burger joint/resturant/home where they could be going Lord knows where and doing Lord knows what while I'm at work.

Gee...I'd really have to think about that one...:thinking:

NateDawg39
02-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Well I bring this up because I graduated last year. We had NO problems that resulted in people being seriously hurt and there were NO incidents involving robbery or vandalism. It also makes it easier for students to be involved in extra carricular activities. The argument brought up at the meeting was that students COULD cause trouble later on. Yet if there is no problem YET, why do they need to change it? It confuses me a little.

CHS_CG
02-22-2006, 05:19 PM
lol i hardly ever ate lunch in high school its soo nasty and we couldnt go off campus. I would have much rathered having off campus lunches.. not to mention if you DO eat lunch at school it cost and arm and a leg.

mustang04
02-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
if you DO eat lunch at school it cost and arm and a leg.
ours didnt...it was $1.65 for a full meal...pretty sure i would buy 2 of them every single day!!!!

CHS_CG
02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
ours didnt...it was $1.65 for a full meal...pretty sure i would buy 2 of them every single day!!!!

ours were i think 2.50 or 2.75 for a full meal by my senior year

big daddy russ
02-22-2006, 05:47 PM
It wasn't that bad for us. We had open campus lunches, but you had certain nuts who would skip out during lunch and run down to the Buckhorn to play pool, go fishing, go hunting, or run over to the beach. I won't mention any names, but one of their initials was IHStangFan.

But then again, Ingleside had a nice setup on campus, too. We had the cafeteria where lunches were like $1.25 and an adjacent snack bar where you could buy other stuff like burritos, pizzas, hot pockets, burgers, chili cheese fries, etc.

We never had any big problems with off-campus lunches. We did have a few kids play hookie and we'd have a bomb threat or two every year, but nothing more.

I don't know what it's like nowadays or what the kids are like, but I don't really think that open campus lunches caused too many problems for us. It's one of those things you just have to take on a case-by-case basis.

NateDawg39
02-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I suppose all this is happening because we are growing very close to the metro-plex. A lot of growth and a lot of people are moving in so it is considered a priority to keep kids safe when nothing bad has happened in years.

sahen
02-22-2006, 06:34 PM
we never had open-campus lunches and we hard security guards that stalked u if you tried to leave my campus, but we were in the middle of a pretty good sized place in Baytown....however, by junior/senior year i had plenty of teacher friends that would write me a pass, i pretty much spent senior year off campus doing "errands"....but it wasnt like i did anything when i was on campus too...

eagles_victory
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
ours were i think 2.50 or 2.75 for a full meal by my senior year thats hardly an arm and a leg.

MHSvarsity2007
02-22-2006, 06:53 PM
we have off campus lunches and we never have accidents or incidents that are serious. plus, our cafeteria food is repulsive.

they want to have closed campus for freshmen, sophomores & juniors next year and let the seniors leave...which is awesome because i'll be a senior next year!! :D

Ranger Mom
02-22-2006, 08:02 PM
Greenwood has always had a closed campus lunch....you would HAVE to go home because there is only 2 eating places here and they are too small to accomodate a lunch crowd.....BUT, both places deliver to the school at lunch.

The district is too spread out for everyone to go home, unless you live right behind the school. Lots of kids would get home only to have to turn around and come right back!

Midland has open campus and some of the freaky looking kids that walk through my parking lot (I am 2 blocks from Midland High) make me scared to walk to my own truck!:eek: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
02-22-2006, 08:13 PM
Our campus is closed at lunch. The kids can't even go out to their cars once school starts. I can see the good and bad of both situations. One of our posters (20dawgz05) told a story about going out for lunch last year and almost having a wreck. She tried to blame it on the other driver, but RM has ridden with her, so we didn't believe it at all. :D

Ranger Mom
02-22-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
She tried to blame it on the other driver, but RM has ridden with her, so we didn't believe it at all. :D

I saw my life flash before my eyes that day!:eek:

mrescape43
02-22-2006, 08:49 PM
I have no problem with open lunches. That is the way it has always been here.

RMAC
02-22-2006, 09:51 PM
We have open campus and I love it. Very rarely are there any accidents and the only time there's trouble is when all the pot-heads come back to school all crapped up on anything you can smoke.

Fish's mom
02-22-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Lemme see. As a parent I would want my child to:

a. Stay at school and eat lunch there, where I know that they are reasonably safe.

or

b. Pile in a car with a bunch of other teenagers to run to the local burger joint/resturant/home where they could be going Lord knows where and doing Lord knows what while I'm at work.

Gee...I'd really have to think about that one...:thinking:

Our school has open campus I hate it , I want to know when my son goes to school he's there until its out . Guess I'm just a scary mom but I do realiza they would have to make alot of changes at our lunch room in order to close it . But If I had a vote it would be closed.

lepfan
02-22-2006, 11:52 PM
I am at a small school...about 30-35 in a graduating class---the principal closed lunches after last year (not sure what the issue was that caused it)...BUT, he spoke with the senior class this year because they were questioning him on this...he told the kids that he would open lunch to seniors who made the honor roll...guess what????.....all but 4 seniors have been on the honor roll...:)

DaHop72
02-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
I am at a small school...about 30-35 in a graduating class---the principal closed lunches after last year (not sure what the issue was that caused it)...BUT, he spoke with the senior class this year because they were questioning him on this...he told the kids that he would open lunch to seniors who made the honor roll...guess what????.....all but 4 seniors have been on the honor roll...:) Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, where's Fluffy??????

lepfan
02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, where's Fluffy?????? Ummm, I have had a "brain dead" day...who/what is Fluffy????

ARE YOU CALLING ME FLUFFY???? nEVER MIND...I GOT IT NOW

I put that up for you:D ;)

DaHop72
02-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Ummm, I have had a "brain dead" day...who/what is Fluffy????

ARE YOU CALLING ME FLUFFY???? nEVER MIND...I GOT IT NOW

I put that up for you:D ;) Replacing that cute dog with that avatar, you should be ashamed.:D :D

lepfan
02-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Replacing that cute dog with that avatar, you should be ashamed.:D :D It took me a minute...but I figured it out...geez...the way my brain has worked today I would swear I have had a stoke!!! I put that avatar up for you :D ;) . I am giving Fluffy a potty break.

DaHop72
02-23-2006, 12:05 AM
It took me a minute...but I figured it out...geez...the way my brain has worked today I would swear I have had a stoke!!! I put that avatar up for you :D ;) . I am giving Fluffy a potty break.
Gee, I can feel the love. If it's still cold up there, don't leave my dog out too long.

lepfan
02-23-2006, 12:07 AM
Gee, I can feel the love. If it's still cold up there, don't leave my dog out too long. Heat wave today...it got up to about 50!!!:clap: