PDA

View Full Version : History of football scoring

Phil C
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
There isn't a lot of information on this subject but the first football game played in 1869 and since then our game has made many major changes. Of course touchdowns have always been included even though I think it was set at six points in 1879. Also the safety which now is at two points was installed in that same year for obvious reasons. Fields goals were also used fairly early in case teams couldn't score a td they could get points with generally a drop kick to help eliminate tie games. I think in 1912 they field goal was set at three points but I don't know what they were before then.
I am not sure when the extra point was included after tds but I am sure they were installed to also help prevent tie games. It was rewarded to each team that had scored and the team could get the point by kicking or getting the ball over the goal line. Kicking was done by drop kicking until teams learned by having a holder it would be more accurate and more points would be scored. Usually extra points were done by kicking because it was easier to get points that way than try to get over from three yards out. Remember from the three the main disadvantage of the offense is that there is not much field to work with especially your receivers so the other team is closer to your team.
In 1958 the team scoring a td could now go for two points by running or passing the ball over the goal line. This was done to help elimininate ties because most teams were now getting capable kickers and scoring nearly all of the extra points. When it was first started extra points were not always as automatic and even today they are still missed once in a while.
A more modern rule now is that on extra points the defense is allowed to score two points if they block the kick and run it back or intercept the ball and run it back. It doesn't happen often but I have seen it happen.
Of course another modern rule is that we now have overtimes and ties are eliminated. I personally prefer the college and high school methods of overtime over the pros because I like both teams to have a shot at the ball but that is just personal.
Please add corrections or additions to this post or sources that you know of.

tex_male
02-22-2006, 10:51 AM
:thinking: