PDA

View Full Version : Movie of Weslaco soldier to be directed by Clint Eastwood

turbostud
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
flags of our fathers (http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/)
The Movie is called, Flags of Our Fathers.

The life stories of the six men who raised the flag at The Battle of Iwo Jima, a turning point in WWII.

Weslaco's Harlon "Ed" Block was one of the those six men who raised the flag at the battle.

The movie will star Ryan Phillippe, Paul Walker and Christopher Curry will play Ed Block.

Harlon was an outgoing daredevil with many friends at Weslaco High School. A natural athlete, Harlon led the Weslaco Panther Football Team to the Conference Championship. He was honored as "All South Texas End." Harlon and twelve of his teammates enlisted in the Marine Corps together in 1943.

Harlon was Sgt. Mike's second-in-command. He took over the leadership of his unit when Sgt. Mike was killed. Harlon was killed by a mortar blast hours later on March 1 at the age of 21.

When his mother Belle saw the Flag Raising Photo in the Weslaco Newspaper on Feb. 25, she exclaimed, "That's Harlon" pointing to the figure on the far right. But the US Government mis-identified the figure as Harry Hansen of Boston. Belle never wavered in her belief that it was Harlon insisting, "I know my boy." No one--not her family, neighbors, the Government or the public--had any reason to believe her. But eighteen months later in a sensational front-page story, a Congressional investigation revealed that it was Harlon in the photo, proving that indeed, Belle did "know her boy."

Harlon is buried beside the Iwo Jima Monument in Harlingen, Texas.
http://www.djtravel.homestead.com/files/iwo_jima_mem..jpg

sinton66
02-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Wow, that's an amazing bit of history there. I don't remember Ed Block in the John Wayne version "The Sands of Iwo Jima". The Duke played the Sgt. that was killed shortly before the raising of the flag. Although a great movie, I never considered it's historical accuracy. I'll have to watch the credits more closely next time.