PDA

View Full Version : What is YOUR position...

mustang04
02-21-2006, 04:28 PM
on fraternitys? i am pledging to be in one and im just curious what yall think about them

it aint football, but IT IS FREAKIN BORING on here today

Maroon87
02-21-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm all for them. I'm a proud Sigma Chi.:cool:

CHS_CG
02-21-2006, 04:29 PM
lol frat guy.. all right! haha

DaHop72
02-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
on fraternitys? i am pledging to be in one and im just curious what yall think about them

it aint football, but IT IS FREAKIN BORING on here today FRAT BRAT

injuredinmelee
02-21-2006, 04:33 PM
a great way to network for later in life. Stay active and make sure it doesnt affect your academic pursuits and Drink one for me. Your def Lambda Lambda Lambda material.

DaHop72
02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
a great way to network for later in life. Stay active and make sure it doesnt affect your academic pursuits and Drink one for me. Your def Lambda Lambda Lambda material.
injured, are you coming to Snyder tonight??

bigO
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
for those of you who don't know, referring to a fraternity as a frat is derogitory

its like saying, the United States is my count

just fyi

im a proud member of tappa kegga

mrescape43
02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Delta House!
Toga Party!!
Toga Toga Toga!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HighSchool Fan
02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by bigO

im a proud member of tappa kegga

i bet they have some wild parties

big daddy russ
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Your def Lambda Lambda Lambda material.
ROFLMAO.

04, I say go for it. Like everyone else said, it's a great way to network. Helps you find tons of job leads, and if you go into a job interview and put it out that you were in the same frat as your interviewer you automatically get bumped up in the race.

DaHop72
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
Delta House!
Toga Party!!
Toga Toga Toga!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Well there you have it Reg. Reggie in a toga, must see TV.

Bullaholic
02-21-2006, 04:43 PM

Thought for a minute this thread was another Masters & Johnson survey. You're going to learn to say---"Thank you, sir. May I have another?" quite a bit, Reg.

kaorder1999
02-21-2006, 04:45 PM
i had fun in college

BreckTxLonghorn
02-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Coming from Breckenridge to the University, I knew ONE person. Joining a fraternity was one of the best choices I have ever made. The networking aspect has been mentioned once or twice, and its great. But more importantly, my social net grew exponentially. I've met my best friends, and I honestly couldn't imagine going to college and not making the memories I have with them. If I ever trick some poor girl into marrying me, I've got my groomsmen set.

Some people are very anti-fraternity, but as long as you keep an open mind and don't get cultish about it (the we're better than you mindset), it can only help you. Go for it.

~~~~~~

Oh yeah, 100th post.

SWMustang
02-21-2006, 04:48 PM

What Fraternity?

STANG RED
02-21-2006, 05:00 PM
I was very anti fraternity when I was at Angelo State, because I didnt really feel like they had anything to offer me, and I thought alot of the guys I met at rush parties were jerks. Also, I just couldnt see myself taking a bunch of hazing crap from some pansy that I would have otherwise slapped the crap out of. So, obviously I never joined one. Now that I am much older and mellowed out, I can certainly see some advantages to having been in a fraternity. Even today, I am not sure I wound join one, but I would definatly look into it alot closer. I'm sure there are alot of good things about being in the right one.

44INAROW
02-21-2006, 05:05 PM
I know there are a couple SIGMA NU guys out there (living in deep East Texas) let's see if they are reading today :D

mustang04
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
What Fraternity?
Pi Kappa Alpha aka, the Pikes:D

injuredinmelee
02-21-2006, 05:12 PM
I willnot be in Snyder tonight. IF we get the Snyder wylie matchup soon in girls bball i will be wherever.

NateDawg39
02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
I will pledge for Galaxy next year.

SWMustang
02-21-2006, 05:25 PM

I was a Pike at ASU too. My opinion will obviously be biased. It was a lot of fun and I met a group of people that I still keep up with today. I went to Mexico last summer with one of my pledge brothers. It can be a good experience, but it all boils down to what you put into it.

mustang04
02-21-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I was a Pike at ASU too. My opinion will obviously be biased. It was a lot of fun and I met a group of people that I still keep up with today. I went to Mexico last summer with one of my pledge brothers. It can be a good experience, but it all boils down to what you put into it.

awesome! we'll have to meet up sometime!

3afan
02-21-2006, 05:36 PM
WHY join a frat besides to spend more college $? what are the real benefits except social?

gobblerfan02
02-21-2006, 05:47 PM
All the frats at UTSA are dull IMHO! Maybe I would join one if I went somewhere else! Heck we have 1 of the three frats in the country that are actually..................(outta da closet!) :eek: :rolleyes:

That's just my take on things, being a senior in college and all!

injuredinmelee
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
WHY join a frat besides to spend more college $? what are the real benefits except social?
IU think there is a huge upside in connections for later in life. You can never know enough people.

AP Panther Fan
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

This is pretty much my question...with a son starting college next year, I have done alot of reading about fraternities. I know they do "some" charitable work etc..., but I am wondering if maybe it wouldn't be better for my son to wait a year or two.

And yes....they aren't cheap either. :thinking:

gobblerfan02
02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
This is pretty much my question...with a son starting college next year, I have done alot of reading about fraternities. I know they do "some" charitable work etc..., but I am wondering if maybe it wouldn't be better for my son to wait a year or two.

And yes....they aren't cheap either. :thinking:

Well, it would mean a year or two of you not having to pay all that $$!

AP Panther Fan
02-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Well, it would mean a year or two of you not having to pay all that $$!

true....guess I am just trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of pledging as a freshman. I know school work and adapting to college life SHOULD come before social events...hopefully.

:thinking:

vet93
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Reg....I have a different view. There are many ways to network and find friends. With your personality...that shouldn't be a problem. Not only is it expensive to keep up with all of the dues, t-shirts, etc... that you have to buy.....I also saw some pretty heavy abuse of alcohol in regards to the pledges. My first year of vet school, I had an efficiency apartment connected to a frat house...numerous times I saw frats making pledges chug beer until they puked or passed out....one kid was so sick and "out of it" that I actually came out of my apartment and asked the frat guy to stop before the kid goes comatose. I was also a resident advisor in the dorms for 2 1/2 years and saw many a freshman wash out after they started doing the frat thing because they couldn't maintain grades along with getting boozed up every weekend. I enjoyed my years of college and did my fair share of partying (so I am not saying that you shouldn't have fun)....however, I did not see any great advantage to the frat process....especially if you are going the heavily academic (medicine/science) route. I'll probably take some heat from the frat boys....but I don't think that it is much of a requirement for career advancement....it is more of a way to exclude some kids while at the same time having a place to party on the weekends.

SWMustang
02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't want to be the only Greek defender here, but I'll give my take on a few issues.

1) why be in a Fraternity?
It prepares you for the work force by putting you in a position to work as a team and giving you responsibilities. You learn about being a good teammate and leadership. In many ways it operates as a company with different divisions and objectives. It's also nice to have trusted contacts in a variety of fields should you need a little free advice from time to time. When a Fraternity is running as it should you learn a lot about responsibility.

2) Hazing
I'm sure that goes on to some degree everywhere, but at just about every University there are rules about Hazing. Most schools have a Zero Tolerance policy. Anyone who really gets into hazing someone else is a sorry POS in my book. They need to belittle someone else to make themselves feel better.

3) Dues?
These vary greatly from school to school, but I can assure you at Angelo State they aren't that much. 10 years ago it was about 50 dollars a month. I had a part time job and I paid those myself.

4) Should my Freshman pledge right away?
I would say that depends on the kid. If he's got a good head on his shoulders and can handle the freedom the first year away from home affords him, then I say let him decide. If you think he would be better off with a year of adjustment, go that route. You can ask the Fraternity what the GPA was for the prior years Pledge Class and the fraternity as a whole.

SWMustang
02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by vet93
Reg....I have a different view. There are many ways to network and find friends. With your personality...that shouldn't be a problem. Not only is it expensive to keep up with all of the dues, t-shirts, etc... that you have to buy.....I also saw some pretty heavy abuse of alcohol in regards to the pledges. My first year of vet school, I had an efficiency apartment connected to a frat house...numerous times I saw frats making pledges chug beer until they puked or passed out....one kid was so sick and "out of it" that I actually came out of my apartment and asked the frat guy to stop before the kid goes comatose. I was also a resident advisor in the dorms for 2 1/2 years and saw many a freshman wash out after they started doing the frat thing because they couldn't maintain grades along with getting boozed up every weekend. I enjoyed my years of college and did my fair share of partying (so I am not saying that you shouldn't have fun)....however, I did not see any great advantage to the frat process....especially if you are going the heavily academic (medicine/science) route. I'll probably take some heat from the frat boys....but I don't think that it is much of a requirement for career advancement....it is more of a way to exclude some kids while at the same time having a place to party on the weekends.

No heat from me. Unfortunately, some Fraternities can get out of hand with the drinking. I can't argue about that. I never thought we were exclusionary, but I can only draw on my experience with one Fraternity at Angelo State University.

STANG RED
02-21-2006, 07:00 PM
I hate to say it, but the Pikes were the ones I disliked the most at ASU, but that was back in the late 70s. I have no idea what they or any others are like today. But they sure had some rich boy punks that needed a good butt whoopin when I was there. But then again, that is certainly no exclusive to fraternities.

DaHop72
02-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Now that I am much older and mellowed out,
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :confused: :confused:

AggieJohn
02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
my frat was tight, beta upsilon chi....we were a male christian fraternity.....it was tight...don't think though that we sat down with our bibles, we were kicked out of several things for doing stupid stuff

Old Tiger
02-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Be ready to dish out some $

vet93
02-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Gosh...I would hate to let someone see me with a bible. Sounds like your apologizing for being in a "Christian" fraternity and then justifying how great it was by how "unChristian" the brothers acted.:thinking:

Originally posted by AggieJohn
my frat was tight, beta upsilon chi....we were a male christian fraternity.....it was tight...don't think though that we sat down with our bibles, we were kicked out of several things for doing stupid stuff

sahen
02-21-2006, 11:35 PM
the christian frat at Baylor "BYX" or Brothers Under Christ is in teh middle of a big hazing scandle.....thought that was interesting, but Baylor isnt really big into the greek thing, prolly about 80% of the students r so rnt in frats/sororities here...hazing isnt supposed to happen and we have a 0 tolerance policy but i think of the 3 years i have been here 2 have had a hazing scandel, and the year before i came they had a huge one, the other 2 were minor compared to that....

big daddy russ
02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
I have one huuuge argument for joining a frat. One of my best friends was a Phi Delt down at TAMU-CC. There were only three frats on campus, and it wasn't big by any stretch of the imagination, but he was into it.

He graduated back in August of '03, worked in Rockport for a couple of years, then decided that he wanted to go to grad school at Baylor.

He started looking for a job up there as soon as he was accepted last June, but nothing came up. Since he was already accepted, he decided that he was going no matter what and he'd live off his savings until he could get his ducks in a row. He moved to Waco in August and immediately started looking for a job. Still, nothing turned up.

One day, he was talking to one of his old frat buddies online and told his buddy about his situation. His buddy made one call... ONE CALL... and Chris had a great job working on the Baylor campus by Monday.

I've never been a frat boy (hell, I've never attended a four-year school), but if it can build your network and can build you as a person I don't have a problem with them. Of course there are frats that no guy should join and there are guys that should never join frats, but you just have to evaluate everything on a case-by-case basis and go from there.

bigO
02-21-2006, 11:50 PM
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1298/300992un.jpg

big daddy russ
02-21-2006, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
true....guess I am just trying to weigh the advantages/disadvantages of pledging as a freshman. I know school work and adapting to college life SHOULD come before social events...hopefully.

:thinking:
...and APPF, I'd check out the particular frat before you make a decision. Some (especially the ones here at A&M) are really big on joining as a freshman. It gets tougher to get in the farther along you get.

I've heard it's nothing like that at smaller schools like ASU or TAMU-K. Everyone's really laid back and are more understanding of people who join later in their college career, which gives them more time to adjust to the responsibilities of school.

I'm all for it IF, and only IF, the kid can handle it. If there's even any question that going Greek will keep the kid from getting his or her degree then it's pointless anyways. That kid can always make friends the old-fashioned way and still not tank his grades.

mustang04
02-22-2006, 04:20 AM
well...all i gotta say, right now im LOVING it...there is alot less hazing than what used to be, and its not 'chugging" until u pass out, its great and i cant go to details, but im lovin it and i already feel like ive learned things i wouldnt have otherwise!

Cardinalbb
02-22-2006, 07:22 AM

I've got some stories about the Pikes. I guess cause I is one!
That's a good one.........brother!

Butkus
02-22-2006, 09:43 AM
04 id say youd make a good Delta House pledge.

pancho villa
02-22-2006, 09:50 AM
I was in a great frat in college I ATA THADA. I wish I could go back.

pancho villa
02-22-2006, 09:51 AM
Or was it I FELTA DELTA?

STANG RED
02-22-2006, 10:12 AM
well...all i gotta say, right now im LOVING it...there is alot less hazing than what used to be, and its not 'chugging" until u pass out, its great and i cant go to details, but im lovin it and i already feel like ive learned things i wouldnt have otherwise!

If thats the way you feel Reggie, and you can keep your head screwed on straight, then by all means, go for it.
How does the ole man feel about it? I sure wouldnt want to be in your shoes if things get out of hand!

Black_Magic
02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Rent a friends are ok I guess.... Thats kinda what frats are. You pay to hang out with those people so your renting the friendship in a way.

pancho villa
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Rent a friends are ok I guess.... Thats kinda what frats are. You pay to hang out with those people so your renting the friendship in a way.

Yeah but those DELTS sure taste good.

mustang04
02-22-2006, 11:44 AM

pretty sure i was friends with most the guys in it before i even thought about rushing.... i look at it as the dues we pay are national dues that hjave to be paid but are beneficial to the fraternity when it comes time for a banquet or a party.... i was in boy scouts for a loooong time, and we paid dues...so what are u saying, i was paying for friends then too?????

STANG RED
02-22-2006, 12:15 PM

I think, only someone without many friends, would look at it that way.

Bullaholic
02-22-2006, 12:18 PM
pretty sure i was friends with most the guys in it before i even thought about rushing.... i look at it as the dues we pay are national dues that hjave to be paid but are beneficial to the fraternity when it comes time for a banquet or a party.... i was in boy scouts for a loooong time, and we paid dues...so what are u saying, i was paying for friends then too?????

Some may rent friends, but most folks seem to just "make" them along life's way, and I have known some folks who will have to "rent" pallbearers when their time comes. You couldn't afford me anyhow, Reg. :D

DU_stud04
02-22-2006, 02:50 PM
.... i was in boy scouts for a loooong time, and we paid dues...so what are u saying, i was paying for friends then too?????

yes....hahahaha

Cardinalbb
02-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Win the Lottery and see how many friends you have!

Ranger Mom
02-22-2006, 02:55 PM

That is the most asinine thing I have heard today!:rolleyes:

STANG RED
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That is the most asinine thing I have heard today!:rolleyes:

And that is saying someting, considering the Chief has already been on today. :doh:

Ranger Mom
02-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
And that is saying someting, considering the Chief has already been on today. :doh:

True....but Chief tends to ramble too much for me, so I normally don't read those threads that close!:p

Maroon87
02-22-2006, 03:18 PM

I'm still close with many of my fraternity brothers, so that rental agreement must be long term...:rolleyes:

Ranger Mom
02-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm still close with many of my fraternity brothers, so that rental agreement must be long term...:rolleyes:

Must have been a "lease to own" kinda deal!!:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-22-2006, 04:29 PM
mustang04 it looks like you have already made a decision and I think you made the right choice. I serve as the faculty advisor to Phi Lambda Chi here at Cameron. I also went through all the initiations (I'm 35 years old and they took me through). I wanted to not only be an advisor but to be a big brother to these young men. There was absolutely no hazing of any sort. In fact our fraternity stands for better things than putting someone in a bad or embarrassing situation. I think also with all the law suits now hazing is a thing of the past.

Just some FYI our dues are $50 per semester. We do not have a house but we have a room on campus that is ours. The dues help pay for banquets and our chapter dues. We have 24 brothers in our chapter here at Cameron. However, the opportunity to meet people at leadership conferences and national conferences is great. (I'll be a presenter at our leadership conference this weekend in Hot Springs, Arkansas). Plus we have a lot of mixers with the sororities. Our guys tend to do a lot with the Sigma Sigma Sigma's.

Anyway the PIKES and the Phi Lambs are both members of the NIC so if you ever end up going to a national event I may see you there.

http://www.cameron.edu/uploads/images/6076/phi_lambda_chi_crest.gif