PDA

View Full Version : Young accepts O'Brien, answers questions about his NFL future

Phantom Stang
02-21-2006, 01:11 AM
From Dave Campbell's site:
==============================

Young accepts O'Brien, answers questions about his NFL future

02/20/2006

By Jake Shaw/texasfootball.com

FORT WORTH -- Vince Young had a suit on for this one.

Less than a week after the National Championship UT football team and a suit-less Vince Young visited President Bush at the White House, the former Longhorns quarterback was sharp in a black tux and tie for the Davey O'Brien Award dinner.

Young, named the 29th winner of the Davey O'Brien award annually handed out to the top college quarterback in the country, was in Fort Worth Monday for the awards dinner and press conference.

"It means a whole lot to me," Young said of the award, "knowing that Davey O'Brien went through a lot of the things I went through.

"A lot of people said he was too small, this and that, but he showed the whole world that he can do it. The same label has been there for me, that I cannot be a quarterback."

Young proved otherwise this season, leading the nation in passing efficiency while racking up 2,769 passing yards and 26 TDs. He culminated his season with a second consecutive Rose Bowl MVP award.

The latter performance sewed up UT's national championship season.

"At the University of Texas, I think it's absolutely the worst position anyone can have next year is to try to follow Vince," said UT associate athletics director Cleve Bryant, who took the place of an ill Greg Davis at the O'Brien award press conference. "You don't replace a Vince Young."

Young answered a few questions from the press conference emcee before the press took its turn.

Inevitably, questions turned to hardball topics, from leaving UT early to his decision not to throw at the NFL combine to perhaps enjoying the spotlight a little too much.

"Behind the scenes, you don't see me at 7:30 in the morning working out and getting the job done," he said, "throwing and sitting down and talking to some of the guys that have played in the NFL and understand the role of a quarterback."

Asked about turning pro early, Young said he has no regrets about his decision to forego his final season. There are things, he said, he'll miss.

"The biggest thing is my teammates and coaches and how many memories we have," he said. "It's going to be hard not seeing those guys."

He'll no doubt create more memories and highlight reels for whichever NFL franchise selects him in the April draft. And he's also part of a select group of players, one that's not quite 30 deep yet.

"It may not be quite as connected as the Heisman," said former O'Brien winner Todd Blackledge, "but the quarterback position is a very special position, and this is a quarterback award, so everybody that's won it has been in the same place you've been in. It's kind of neat to be a part of that."

Young said he'll spend the next month and change preparing for the draft. At the NFL combine, Young reiterated the fact he'll not throw and only interview with NFL teams.

It may be a different approach, but as he said Monday, don't bet against him.

"I'm not really a doubt guy," he said. "I like to go out and play my game, and to be a leader for my teammates."

Phantom Stang
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
ttt

Phil C
02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
Go Vince Go!