PDA

View Full Version : Who is your darkhorse pick for 06 / 07.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 11:10 AM
What team(s) will come out of nowhere next football season and make a lot of noise in 3A? Anybody have any insights on perennial losers that will turn it around and make a serious playoff run. Here is your chance to look like a genius (or not). We will bring this back up in December, and see who had it pegged right or not.

I say Andrews is a darkhorse that is on nobody’s radar screen. They are a once very proud and successful 4A program that fell on hard times the last few years. I think the drop to 3A will give them the boost they need to get that program back to the power they used to be.

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 11:18 AM
It's going to be tough because they're in R3 now, but I really like Needville. They return a few studs on defense (especially this big LB that Liberty Hill didn't seem to want to have any part of) and a shifty, backup RB. If they can retool the offense I think they'll be a player in their top-heavy district. With West Columbia, Sweeny and Wharton it won't be easy, but that district lineup should help them come playoff time.

Bullaholic
02-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Presidio will win District 2 and go undefeated next season.

vet93
02-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Andrews???

I am not so sure....Coach Springston has done a decent job in years past....however, they were pretty miserble last year. Do they have many returning starters? If they were young last year, then they have a chance...otherwise...they will make the playoffs but fall when they meet the stronger teams from the east.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by vet93
Andrews???

I am not so sure....Coach Springston has done a decent job in years past....however, they were pretty miserble last year. Do they have many returning starters? If they were young last year, then they have a chance...otherwise...they will make the playoffs but fall when they meet the stronger teams from the east.

I dont expect them to win state next year by any means. But I expect them to at least get the program turned back around and headed back in the right direction. It'll take a couple more years before they will be real contenders probably, but dont be surprised when it happens.

NateDawg39
02-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I will go with Sanger!!!! I have no reasons but just think they will be an "ok" team:)

BullFrog Dad
02-20-2006, 11:33 AM
Carrollton-Ranchview. 2-18 the last two years but I wouldn't be surprised if they go 8-2 and three deep in the playoffs this year.

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I will go with Sanger!!!! I have no reasons but just think they will be an "ok" team:)

i think sanger only had an above average RB last season. i'm pretty sure he is graduating.

Bullaholic
02-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Prosper, even though they lost their coach--lots of talent on that team.

Gainesville will be better than many think next season.

Decatur--- they have big nos. out for football every year and have been building consistency on it, plus the WR-Cardenas will put up some huge receiving nos. on just about everybody.

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Gainesville will be better than many think next season.

i hope your right. i'm thinking they will fight for the 3rd playoff spot.

Phantom Stang
02-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Presidio will win District 2 and go undefeated next season.
I'll agree with you on the undefeated part, at least.:D

NateDawg39
02-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i hope your right. i'm thinking they will fight for the 3rd playoff spot. I think Decatur will come in second in district. The race will be between Bridgeport, Decatur and Argyle.

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
What team(s) will come out of nowhere next football season and make a lot of noise in 3A? Anybody have any insights on perennial losers that will turn it around and make a serious playoff run. Here is your chance to look like a genius (or not). We will bring this back up in December, and see who had it pegged right or not.

I say Andrews is a darkhorse that is on nobody’s radar screen. They are a once very proud and successful 4A program that fell on hard times the last few years. I think the drop to 3A will give them the boost they need to get that program back to the power they used to be.

I think Andrews will take the 3rd playoff spot this year behind Snyder and Midland Greenwood.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I think Andrews will take the 3rd playoff spot this year behind Snyder and Midland Greenwood.

I think you are probably right, but dont look for them to be an alsoran for long. Once the momentum builds, look for them to rise quickly.

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I think you are probably right, but dont look for them to be an alsoran for long. Once the momentum builds, look for them to rise quickly.

I hope you are right. If not it will be a pretty boring 2 years in our teeny tiny 4 team district. I can't believe 4 teams. What a crock.

3afan
02-20-2006, 12:15 PM
I can't believe 4 teams. What a crock.

what is your alternative solution? dont just name teams - consider the ripple affects and lets see something .....

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
what is your alternative solution? dont just name teams - consider the ripple affects and lets see something .....

Combine our district with the north one and have 1 8 team district. Have a bye for the first round such as district 1 and 2.

eagles_victory
02-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Fairfield has a lot of talent on the team and just underachieved. The new coach should get the guys ready to play and maybe run a couple rounds deep in the playoffs.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Combine our district with the north one and have 1 8 team district. Have a bye for the first round such as district 1 and 2.

They probably thought about that, but the travel would be brutal. I know the 4 team districts suck, but I bet people would have liked all the long road trips even less. No matter how you look at it, there isnt a good solution IMO.

3afan
02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
works for me except there would be lots of travel - but is that fair to the rest of the state to have 2 districts in Region I with byes?

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
works for me except there would be lots of travel - but is that fair to the rest of the state to have 2 districts in Region I with byes?

I think it is more of a fair solution than 75% of teams in a district making the playoffs. In our district a team could go 1-9 winning only 1 district game and make the playoffs.

Chris Hart
02-20-2006, 11:48 PM
Bandera may be a darkhorse in Reg IV in 06...

gobblerfan02
02-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart

Im thinking Ingleside will again make a little noise with that QB that was only a soph last season...they look to be improving!

big daddy russ
02-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Im thinking Ingleside will again make a little noise with that QB that was only a soph last season...they look to be improving!
I really like our boys this year. We return 17 starters, including our three offensive studs. I doubt we have the depth to run with the Cueros and the Huttos, but we have a nice little group of kids coming back.

neck_06
02-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's going to be tough because they're in R3 now, but I really like Needville. With West Columbia, Sweeny and Wharton it won't be easy, but that district lineup should help them come playoff time.

don't forget Brookshire Royal & Sealy

crabman
02-22-2006, 08:44 AM

We will know early since they meet Cuero in the preseason.