PDA

View Full Version : Whoever drafts Vince Young

Phil C
02-20-2006, 10:12 AM
will win at least 4 super bowls over the next 10 to 15 years.

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

i'd expect a comment like that from someone like you

Ranger Mom
02-20-2006, 10:27 AM

I cannot WAIT to hear the "the chiefs" response to this!!

Oh wait.....yes I can!:p :p

3afan
02-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'd expect a comment like that from someone like you

man - who is cranky this morning :D :D :D

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
man - who is cranky this morning :D :D :D

cranky?? he's such a strong UT fan why wouldn't he think that:rolleyes:

CenTexSports
02-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Obviously, your taste in football players runs in the same category as in movies (B movies such as Dawn at Sorroco).

Vince is a great athlete and in MY opinion will be a serviceable NFL quarterback but not an "A" quarterback. He just doen't have the arm. Other scrambling QB's such as Steve Young, Roger the Dodger, Randal Cunningham, Warren Moon, Steve McNair and even Doug Flutie had rifles to go with their legs. Vince will wind up being a Randal El or Mike Vick not a Steve Young or Roger.

Lastly, look at the best young QB's and the key is the arm, ie Big Ben. That is what it takes to be an "A" QB in the NFL.

Snyder_TigerFan
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

Vince is a great athlete and in MY opinion will be a serviceable NFL quarterback but not an "A" quarterback. He just doen't have the arm. Other scrambling QB's such as Steve Young, Roger the Dodger, Randal Cunningham, Warren Moon, Steve McNair and even Doug Flutie had rifles to go with their legs. Vince will wind up being a Randal El or Mike Vick not a Steve Young or Roger.

I have to disagree with you there. I think he does have an arm, I just think his scrambling skills have overshadowed it. BTW, didn't he lead the NCAA in completion percentage? I've seen him rifle some passes that couldn't be caught becase they were thrown to hard.

Only time will tell.

injuredinmelee
02-20-2006, 10:45 AM
In the Army All Star game he throw a ball on he run across his body 60 yards on the money. He has plenty of arm. Its his motion that has alot of people cautious. While I am the biggest VY fan i will still admit that his hitch isnt the prettiest thing you have seen but he gets the job done.

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I have to disagree with you there. I think he does have an arm, I just think his scrambling skills have overshadowed it. BTW, didn't he lead the NCAA in completion percentage? I've seen him rifle some passes that couldn't be caught becase they were thrown to hard.

Only time will tell.
I think what he was talking about was accuracy.

Vince worked on his short- and mid-range passes quite a bit over the offseason and it showed this year. He has great natural tools, a fairly strong arm by NFL standards, and he's got that savvy. What he doesn't have is great downfield accuracy. He can hit a target out to about 20 yards, but you get past 25 and it's all over the place.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
No matter how great VY is, he wont do squat if they dont surround him with a great team. A great team, can make a superstar out of an average QB, and a sorry team, can make a great QB look like a fool. VY will not be the savoir of a sorry franchise unless they commit to building a great team around him. Just look at Favre, Aikman, Staubach, Young, Montana, etc.... They all looked great when they had great teams, but they all looked average or worse, when they had bad teams around them. VY will be no different.

Bullaholic
02-20-2006, 10:54 AM
No question Vince Young has all of the physical skills to become a great NFL QB. Plus, he has the heart and drive of a "winner". The last quality which sets the "great" NFL QB's apart from the rest is "knowing" your own team's offense and the ability to think quickly and "read" defenses". If VY is able to become a real "student" of the NFL game, like a Payton Manning, and learn the "choreography" of NFL Offenses and Defenses well, recognize the coverages that NFL D co-ordinators "disguise" so well and learn "where" his receivers will be on certain routes and situations, then I think he will go on to be in the "great" NFL QB category. BTW--these qualities for "greatness" would be required of any young QB entering the NFL---not just VY.

CenTexSports
02-20-2006, 11:17 AM
How many really good NFL QB's were high draft picks? Not many. Even the draft that included Dan Marino where Dan was picked late. Great athletes and Heisman winners (Jason White) and near winners (the guy drafted near Payton that came to the cowboys and Todd Blackledge & Ryan Leaf) do not guarentee NFL playing time. I think Vince will be a player but not a great one. I kind of hope I am wrong but only time will tell.

vet93
02-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Phil's attempt at Hyperbole? How many quarterbacks have done what Phil has suggested? Bradshaw won 4, Aikman won 3. Phil are you saying that Vince will be one of the greatest ever? Waayyyy to early...Waayyy to many variables involved....great quarterbacks need to be surrouned by great teams in order to be successful in super bowls......Hyperbole it is.

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
How many really good NFL QB's were high draft picks? Not many. Even the draft that included Dan Marino where Dan was picked late. Great athletes and Heisman winners (Jason White) and near winners (the guy drafted near Payton that came to the cowboys and Todd Blackledge & Ryan Leaf) do not guarentee NFL playing time. I think Vince will be a player but not a great one. I kind of hope I am wrong but only time will tell.
Jim Kelly and John Elway were both top-15 in that draft. I think I'd go out on a limb and say they were 'decent' NFL QB's.

1 Baltimore John Elway QB Stanford
2 L.A. Rams Eric Dickerson RB Southern Methodist
3 Seahawks Curt Warner RB Penn State
4 Broncos Chris Hinton T Northwestern
5 Chargers Billy Smith Ray OLB Arkansas
6 Bears Jimbo Covert T Pittsburgh
7 Chiefs Todd Blackledge QB Penn State
8 Philadelphia Michael Haddix RB Mississippi State
9 Houston Bruce Matthews G Southern California
10 Giants Terry Kinard S Clemson
11 Packers Tim Lewis DB Pittsburgh
12 Bills Tony Hunter TE Notre Dame
13 Detroit James Jones RB Florida
14 Bills Jim Kelly QB Miami
15 New England Tony Eason QB Illinois
16 Atlanta Mike Pitts DE Alabama
17 St. Louis Leonard Smith S McNeese State
18 Bears Willie Gault WR Tennessee
19 Minnesota Joey Browner S Southern California
20 Chargers Gary Anderson RB Arkansas
21 Pittsburgh Gabriel Rivera NT Texas Tech
22 Chargers Gill Byrd CB San Jose State
23 Dallas Jim Jeffcoat DE Arizona State
24 N.Y. Jets Ken O'Brien QB Cal-Davis
25 Cincinnati Dave Rimington C Nebraska
26 L.A. Raiders Don Mosebar C Southern California
27 Miami Dan Marino QB Pittsburgh
28 Washington Darrell Green CB Texas A&M-Kingsville

And how many really good ones were high picks? Off the top of my head:

Sammy Baugh
Bobby Layne
Terry Bradshaw
Bert Jones
Jim Plunkett
Archie Manning
Peyton Manning
Drew Bledsoe

whtfbplaya
02-20-2006, 11:45 AM

I'll take that bet!

Pmoney
02-20-2006, 06:35 PM
i dono about that but the team will be good

Cameron Crazy
02-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Amen PhilC vince is a ptp (Prime Time PLayer)

Chief Ohera
02-20-2006, 11:39 PM
better get ready to find a giant bench that he can take over, he will ride the pine and be a flop at the qb position, altough he will be good at another position i believe,
and by the way did everyone see what he wore to the white house, that was just plain disrespectful.
when everyone "his teammates" wore a suit and tie, this bozo wore nothing in resemblance to his team,
just goes to show you that he is selfish and thinks just of himself,
your friend the CHIEF
so until next time.............
BOOMER SOONER

mustang04
02-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
better get ready to find a giant bench that he can take over, he will ride the pine and be a flop at the qb position, altough he will be good at another position i believe,
and by the way did everyone see what he wore to the white house, that was just plain disrespectful.
when everyone "his teammates" wore a suit and tie, this bozo wore nothing in resemblance to his team,
your friend the CHIEF
BOOMER SOONER

hey....prtty sure he could care less of the trash talkin that u do... just like how im gettin tired of it.... pretty sure that bozo is a way better person than you..IN MY OPINION

District303aPastPlayer
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
your friend the CHIEF
BOOMER SOONER

hey words i cant say..... did you happen to also hear that his luggage was lost and they found that outfit at the last minute :)