PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ricky Williams Violates NFL Drug Policy For The 4th Time!!!

ILS1
02-20-2006, 05:02 AM
ESPN.com news services

Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has violated the NFL's substance abuse policy for a fourth time and is facing a one-year suspension from the league, Denver television station KDVR reported on Sunday.

The Miami Herald, citing two sources of its own, confirmed the station's report that Williams has violated the policy, although neither source would say whether Williams had failed a drug test or if he had missed a required test, which also is a violation.

An NFL spokesman told ESPN that the NFL had no comment on the report.

Williams has tested positive for marijuana three times and served a four-game suspension when he returned to the NFL last season following a one-year retirement.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban told ESPN he was not aware that Williams had tested positive and he was not allowed to comment, citing the confidential nature of the league's substance-abuse policy.

Dolphins spokesman Harvey Greene declined to comment when reached by the Herald on Sunday night.

"Because of the confidential nature of the league's substance abuse policy, we can't comment on any aspect of that program," Greene told the newspaper.

Williams was also fined the equivalent of four weeks' salary after his second and third violations of the NFL policy, in December 2003 and the 2004 offseason.

His mother, Sandy Williams, told the Palm Beach Post she would be "shocked" if her son would use marijuana again and strongly doubts that is the case.

Sandy Williams told the newspaper her son is currently in India and that they had not spoken of late. She speculated that he could have tested positive for a legal supplement he is taking in connection with his yoga studies.

"I'll bet my life he's not smoking marijuana," she told the Post on Sunday. "He's so particular about what he puts in his body now. I would just be shocked. I just don't believe he's smoking weed."

"I'm thinking maybe it was one of his [legal] supplements for his yoga school. I really just don't believe he's smoking weed."

Williams abruptly retired from the NFL in July 2004 and the Dolphins fell apart, losing their first six games and finishing 4-12 -- their worst season since the 1960s.

At the time of his return, Williams was ordered to pay the Dolphins $8.6 million for breaching his contract, although there has been no financial resolution between him and the team. He was scheduled to be paid the league minimum of $540,000 last season, but was docked four games' pay due to his league-mandated suspension and was fined another four games in pay, reducing his take to $285,882.

Williams' base salaries for the two coming seasons are $545,000 and $670,000, the minimum for a player (he entered the league in 1999) of his NFL tenure.

Motivated partly by the need for a paycheck, he accepted Saban's offer to return for the 2005 season. When he reported at the start of training camp, Williams publicly apologized for the impact caused by his retirement and teammates unanimously embraced his return.

The Dolphins finished the 2005 season 9-7, winning their last six games. Williams gained 743 yards and scored six touchdowns.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award and the Doak Walker Award following his senior season at Texas, in 1998. The New Orleans Saints traded away all their picks in the 1999 NFL draft in order to get him.

In six seasons with New Orleans and Miami, Williams has 7,097 yards on 1,757 carries -- four yards per carry -- and 47 rushing touchdowns. His best season was in 2002 with Miami, when he gained 1,853 yards in 383 carries and ran for 16 TDs.

Story Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2336760)

Snyder_TigerFan
02-20-2006, 07:27 AM
If this is true, this guy needs to be suspended from the NFL forever so that he can get busy with his life as a pothead. I was personally hoping that he would turn his life around with this second chance, but he doesn't have the will to. He just came back for the money. Very disappointing.

3afan
02-20-2006, 07:31 AM
i heard on ESPN radio this morning that he MISSED a test because he is in India ... guess we'll see

underware
02-20-2006, 08:10 AM
So freak'n sad. All of us here on the Downlow really love football. Some of us would dream to be on a Pro team. And all he can do is find time for that CRAP!

Ban him from Football. He's had his chance.

injuredinmelee
02-20-2006, 08:23 AM
loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser

neck_06
02-20-2006, 08:55 AM
just kick him out of the league already, he has said that he isn't gonna stop, so kick him out.

CenTexSports
02-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Maybe he could be Vince's mentor as he enters a new phase in his life's journey through what some call the NFL.

Peace & love to you and your family.

Phil C
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
Isn't there a clinic in India where he could take the test? Let's not condemn him till we have all the facts.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 09:48 AM
If he is proven to be guilty, he should be banned for life, and made to pay back the money he has cost the Dolphins.

District303aPastPlayer
02-20-2006, 09:50 AM
wow... jumping to conclusions before everything is presented...

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
wow... jumping to conclusions before everything is presented...

This is why I said "IF he is proven to be guilty"!!!!!!!!

xlr8
02-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Ricky Williams is trash. Get over it

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser loser

:clap: :clap: :clap: Yes he is!

injuredinmelee
Originally posted by xlr8
as big a fan as I was of Ricky in college I have to admit this guys right. IF it does come out that he did indeed test positive then a lige time ban is in order in my opinion. It wont happen. Look at the loser Leon Lett. They let him come back.

neck_06

i second it!

Chris Hart
02-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i heard on ESPN radio this morning that he MISSED a test because he is in India ... guess we'll see If that's the case, I'm sure it's the reason he is in India in the first place, to get stoned thinking he can avoid the test and be all cleaned up by the time of his return. The guy is pure trash, plain and simple. But, the Dolphins had it coming, did they really expect him to be different after he had devastated the team with his retirement just prior to the season a few years back? I would've never let the guy back in the lockerroom after that, except to let his head 'accidentally' run into his old teammates knuckles, lol. What a waste!:rolleyes:

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 10:56 AM
So were the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. There was more coke in that locker room than there was in Columbia.

Did you know: in a confidential study back in 1999, 51% of all NFL players admitted to have taken some sort of drug in the past year. Fifty-one!!! Furthermore, 36% claimed to have smoked weed on a regular basis.

I'll see if I can find the study online. I did a report on it when I was working for the CBS station down in Corpus a few years back.

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
So were the Dallas Cowboys of the 90's. There was more coke in that locker room than there was in Columbia.

where's the proof?? sounds like alot of assumption.

Bullaholic
02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately, this story sounds a lot like the Roy Tarpley story, and Ricky will probably end up the same way as Roy Tarpley.

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
where's the proof?? sounds like alot of assumption.
Of course it's based on assumption.

Based on the assumption of Michael Irvin's confession and prior arrests, Fred Robert's arrest, Nate Newton's arrest, or when Newton said things like, "We've got a little place over here where we're running some whores in and out, trying to be responsible, and we're criticized for that too."

I didn't actually see them do it so yeah, I'm assuming that there was tons of coke in that locker room, just like everyone else on the board is assuming Ricky's toking the Mary Jane. And I've got more evidence to back my claim up.

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 11:18 AM
wasn't nate arrested a few years after he retired, you can't blame that on being a dallas cowboy. you have to refresh my memory on fred roberts, that name doesn't ring a bell. besides michael, what evidence to you have?

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
wasn't nate arrested a few years after he retired, you can't blame that on being a dallas cowboy. you have to refresh my memory on fred roberts, that name doesn't ring a bell. besides michael, what evidence to you have?
You're right about Nate. Only after his playing days, to my knowledge.

Roberts was a backup... I think his full name was Alfredo Roberts.... one of Irvin's buddies.

My evidence is only what came out of Mike's mouth, combined with the fact that Newton said and did stuff like he did, several other Cowboys were busted for pot, and they all ran in the same crowd. Like I said in the previous post, it IS assumption based on a few incidences.

Nothing's come out of Ricky's mouth just yet. We're only in preliminary reports. Irvin actually admitted that there was a problem with it back in the day.

3afan
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
the 'boys back then were probably pretty typical of NFL teams ....

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 12:07 PM
All the trouble started after Jimmy Johnson left. He kept the players on a tighter leash. Barry Switzer is remembered about as much for the thugs on his teams as he is for coaching.

Chief Ohera
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
what's new, i bet he has been smoking bud in india or whereever it is that he is at, he is immature and classless, come on bro, how can someone pass up millions of dollars to smoke refer,
i think it's funny that he went to UT wonder how much bud he and his teammates smoked during their tenure,
UT is the home of the HIPPIES, and RW, made the right college choice,
but RW should come to me and use the CHIEF'S pipe, it's absolutely breathtaking,
it's one of a kind,,,,,,,
so brothers that's all i have
so until next time..................
forever and always your buddy the
CHIEF
BOOMER SOONER............

HighSchool Fan
02-20-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
what's new, i bet he has been smoking bud in india or whereever it is that he is at, he is immature and classless, come on bro, how can someone pass up millions of dollars to smoke refer,
i think it's funny that he went to UT wonder how much bud he and his teammates smoked during their tenure,
UT is the home of the HIPPIES, and RW, made the right college choice,
but RW should come to me and use the CHIEF'S pipe, it's absolutely breathtaking,
it's one of a kind,,,,,,,
so brothers that's all i have
so until next time..................
forever and always your buddy the
CHIEF
BOOMER SOONER............

let's see what we have here. a guy goes to UT and likes to hit the pipe and old chief takes cheap shots at him.

now, let's look at 0U. let's just start at the top, 0U has a QB in prison for rape. enough said.

Bull Butter
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Did you know: in a confidential study back in 1999, 51% of all NFL players admitted to have taken some sort of drug in the past year. Fifty-one!!! Furthermore, 36% claimed to have smoked weed on a regular basis.

I'll see if I can find the study online. I did a report on it when I was working for the CBS station down in Corpus a few years back.

KZTV, Channel 10. Now THERE'S a news department that just oozes credibility!

Aesculus gilmus
02-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I think it's Matthew McConnaughey's fault. He's been hanging around on the UT sidelines since back when Ricky Williams was winning the Heisman. He may have been Ricky's "connection."

Too bad Rush Limbaugh's not a UT fan so we could at least get Ricky hooked on something more acceptable like "hillbilly heroin." It doesn't seem to have hurt Limbaugh's career much.

Also, I think the Longhorns need to find out what Vince was smoking and make sure all incoming recruits are well-supplied with it.

kaorder1999
02-20-2006, 03:55 PM
ricky williams is an idiot

big daddy russ
02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
KZTV, Channel 10. Now THERE'S a news department that just oozes credibility!
Hey, it was a start... and no money doesn't mean no credibility. Roland's probably the best sports guy in the area. You want the facts, I'd take him over anyone else down there any day of the week.

DaHop72
02-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
he is immature and classless
I wonder if this is a self description??:thinking: :thinking:

Snyder_TigerFan
02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Sources are now saying that he did not miss the drug test, he failed it. I guess some things are more important.

whtfbplaya
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
LOL

BreckTxLonghorn
02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
It's also be released that while he failed it, he did not fail it due to marijuana, which everybody is assuming. There's two ways to look at this. Either he's gone to harder stuff, or his mother is right and he does take supplements for the yoga or whatever. The substance was simply known as a violation of the drug policy. It could be propecia, we don't know

Williams was tested 10 times a month during the regular season this year, and passed every one of them. He had made a commitment to his team to come back, and proved it. Just because he went to India for vacation doesn't mean he started toking back up. That's just Ricky being Ricky, honestly. He's weird like that. Before we know all the details, let's not jump to conclusions. He's already appealed the test results, which he never did in his other three.

At the very worst, if he is found in violation, I see a CFL team buying his contract, and he goes there and becomes the highest paid player in league history, and they will never test him due to him being the face of the league. This will end up not being near as huge and people will want to make it to be.

Leopards,class of 75
02-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ricky williams is an idiot But are you really surprised?

lepfan
02-20-2006, 10:27 PM
Hmmmmm smoke dope or stay clean with a multi million $$$ contract. Drugs will make you stupid...I think this is a continuation of his high school days. (my opinion only...)

lepfan
02-20-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
It's also be released that while he failed it, he did not fail it due to marijuana, which everybody is assuming. There's two ways to look at this. Either he's gone to harder stuff, or his mother is right and he does take supplements for the yoga or whatever. The substance was simply known as a violation of the drug policy. It could be propecia, we don't know

Williams was tested 10 times a month during the regular season this year, and passed every one of them. He had made a commitment to his team to come back, and proved it. Just because he went to India for vacation doesn't mean he started toking back up. That's just Ricky being Ricky, honestly. He's weird like that. Before we know all the details, let's not jump to conclusions. He's already appealed the test results, which he never did in his other three.

At the very worst, if he is found in violation, I see a CFL team buying his contract, and he goes there and becomes the highest paid player in league history, and they will never test him due to him being the face of the league. This will end up not being near as huge and people will want to make it to be. You might need to clean those orange colored glasses.:rolleyes:

Leopards,class of 75
02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Hmmmmm smoke dope or stay clean with a multi million $$$ contract. Drugs will make you stupid...I think this is a continuation of his high school days. (my opinion only...) Thats probaly right!

mustang04
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
CERTAIN drugs make u stupid....and i think everyone is jumpin to conclusions

lepfan
02-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
and i think everyone is jumpin to conclusions But, it does make for good conversation :)

BreckTxLonghorn
02-21-2006, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
You might need to clean those orange colored glasses.:rolleyes:

Actually, I believe that was a statement of an assortment of facts. Check espn.com. That's where I get my references, and I hope to goodness that's certifiable. The reference as to how many times per month he was tested, I got that from Pardon The Interruption, another respectable source. It's not orange colored glasses, it's gathering facts and making opinionated assumptions from them. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and even though its Ricky (someone whom I loved during college but quickly grew tired of his antics the past few years), it has been determined its NOT marijuana, so why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt, especially in a case where he has appealed, and one where he's not even available to defend himself.

Maybe I am a little biased, but I'd rather try the man than condemn him first and ask questions later.

The CFL comment was just based on the fact that it's a league that wants publicity. They drafted Clarett a few years back when his appeal to the NFL draft was denied. Making Williams the highest paid player wouldn't be a huge debit in that league, either.

lepfan
02-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Actually, I believe that was a statement of an assortment of facts. Check espn.com. That's where I get my references, and I hope to goodness that's certifiable. The reference as to how many times per month he was tested, I got that from Pardon The Interruption, another respectable source. It's not orange colored glasses, it's gathering facts and making opinionated assumptions from them. I believe in innocent until proven guilty, and even though its Ricky (someone whom I loved during college but quickly grew tired of his antics the past few years), it has been determined its NOT marijuana, so why not give the guy the benefit of the doubt, especially in a case where he has appealed, and one where he's not even available to defend himself.

Maybe I am a little biased, but I'd rather try the man than condemn him first and ask questions later.

The CFL comment was just based on the fact that it's a league that wants publicity. They drafted Clarett a few years back when his appeal to the NFL draft was denied. Making Williams the highest paid player wouldn't be a huge debit in that league, either. Hey, I am just stirring the pot a little. I really have no horse in the race. ;) All in fun in here. I do hope he is innocent, I don't like to see anyone fall...even if it is a past UT player.