PDA

View Full Version : Mustangs, new coach eager to get started

Phantom Stang
02-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Mustangs, new coach eager to get started
By RON HOWELL/Reporter Sports Editor

Though Sweetwater failed to make the playoffs in baseball last year for the first time since 2001, there is plenty of optimism entering the new season that begins on Monday. And with good reason, because nine players who received all-district recognition in 2005 are back.

There is also a new head coach, Blake Sandford, who has been highly success-ful in his previous stops at Class 2A Early and Bangs and Class 1A Bremond. Sandford led Early to the regional finals this past season.

The Mustangs will also have a bigger field. Home runs will be harder to come by as the once-accommodating fences at Newman Park have been moved back, and the building has also started on a new concession area.

Sandford has used four pitchers - seniors Sonny Birdwell, Steven Palma and Shawn Kincaid and junior James Beckwith - during the three scrimmages and has been impressed. “Each one of them brings something to the game that makes them pretty special,” he said. In addition to the pitching, Sandford expects team speed and hitting to be strengths.

Sandford is the third head coach at Sweetwater in three years, but believes the players have done a pretty good job of adjusting to his style. “There's a sense of excitement with these kids. They're fired up and I'm fired up,” he said.

The team has four other players who are still in basketball - Kendal Carrillo, Brittan Pittman, Ben Edwards and Tripp Maxwell. But Sandford said he is extremely happy with the 11 players he currently has on board.

“I've been quite pleased with what we have done so far,” he said. “These guys have been coached well in the past and they have a good makeup and outlook.”

Freshmen Brandon Bugarin (first base), Tate Hayes (shortstop) and Rufus McCann (outfield), sophomore Matt Clark (catcher-utility) and junior Jeffery Straley (catcher) are new to the varsity squad this year.

The team's returning lettermen for 2006 are Justin Adames at second base; Kincaid at third base; Birdwell, Palma and KiKi Johnson in the outfield; and Beckwith at designated hitter or first base. Carrillo, Pittman and Edwards were first team all-district with Adames, Maxwell, Palma and Beckwith on the second team and Birdwell and Johnson earning all-district honorable mention.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

VWG
02-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow, only 11 players to field the first game?
What's up, doesn't Sweetwater get more kids out for baseball?

STANG RED
02-19-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Wow, only 11 players to field the first game?
What's up, doesn't Sweetwater get more kids out for baseball?

4 of the varsity players are still playing basketball.
In fact, those 4, are 4 of the best we have.

Sweetwater Red
02-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately, those four kids will be in
baseball uniforms sooner rather later.

Phantom Stang
02-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know if they'll be playing in the Metroplex pre-season tournament this year?

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Unfortunately, those four kids will be in
baseball uniforms sooner rather later.

Sad, but true. They have a shot against Ft Stockton, but that will be about it.
I'm sure he would never admit it, but I'll bet the new baseball coach is secretly rooting aginst them. LOL

sww-bull52
02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Does anyone know if they'll be playing in the Metroplex pre-season tournament this year?

Don't think so. I think the only tourny's this year are our Wood Bat Classic and we are going back to Llano for thier's.

VWG
02-20-2006, 04:48 PM
With 4 guys from basketball coming over... that still only leaves a total of 15 players for a varsity baseball roster. Still pretty thin, even for 3A ranks.
I would guess most 3A schools have 18 to 22 kids on their rosters. Gotta have some pitching depth.

STANG RED
02-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by VWG
With 4 guys from basketball coming over... that still only leaves a total of 15 players for a varsity baseball roster. Still pretty thin, even for 3A ranks.
I would guess most 3A schools have 18 to 22 kids on their rosters. Gotta have some pitching depth.

Of those 15, I think 7 are pitchers, and position players also. I guess he could bring up some from JV, if he thinks he needs them.
If this new coach is good and stays for awhile, there will be alot more come out in the future. Our baseball coaching situation just hasnt been very good in a while, so it'll take a couple years to get the numbers back up.

mrescape43
02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I hope that the mustangs get things turned around this year. Good luck this season. (Except when playing our Tigers)!