PDA

View Full Version : Team Nicknames being thrown out the window...

TexasHSFootball
02-17-2006, 02:00 PM
where to go with this one....

When the San Jose Earthquakes moved to Houston this year, the the team will have its fouth name as a franchise in its existence.

San Jose Clash (1996-1998)
San Jose Earthquakes (1999-2005)
Houston 1836 (2006)
Houston ???? (2006-)

Before the team even plays a game in Houston, they will have gone through not one but two team nicknames. Why is the Houston 1836 no more? Simple. The Hispanic community finds the name offensive. It is historic in a a way that it shows the year Texas gained its independence from Mexico. But many hispanics say that it is offensive becuase it was the year that thousands of their forefathers lost their lives for their land. Within the next week, we will find out what they rename the team. But the rumor is that it will be the Houston Lone Star.

The Washington Bullets became the Washington Wizards. In a day and age where the term Bullets is used as a violent term, that is very understandable. Now the NCAA is cracking down on Indian nicknames because the Native Americans find it offensive. There only a matter of time before the Washington Redskins end up with a new team nickname of its own. At the rate this keeps up. And its only safe to assume the CHicago Blackhawks will eventually be forced to change its name too. I am quite surprised the Scandanavians have yet to blast the Minnesota Vikings for the use of the that name.

The sad thing is we live in an over-sensitive world with an over-politically correct way of doing things to keep everyone happy. I for one find it very sad that a year in time has a very sensitive term and offensive gesture.

Shall the British force the Philadelphia 76ers to change their name because it was a year where they lost massive amounts of land in their history?

Off my soap box.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-17-2006, 02:02 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
02-17-2006, 02:06 PM
What was wrong with Yacares! :mad:

Bandera YaYa
02-17-2006, 02:07 PM
OMG if the Hispanics find that offensive because of the reason you said, they need to return back to Mexico and THEN they can feel that way....but dont pull that crap in the USA!!!! :mad: :hand:

CenTexSports
02-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Aren't you the one that supported the Dixie Chicken? You need to get a little more consistent.

Bandera YaYa
02-17-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Aren't you the one that supported the Dixie Chicken? You need to get a little more consistent. and your point is????? :thinking:

big daddy russ
02-17-2006, 02:16 PM
The Lone Stars is an offensive name to me. My grandfather died of liver disease from too many Lone Stars. If the team changes their name, I'll sue.

Bandera YaYa
02-17-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The Lone Stars is an offensive name to me. My grandfather died of liver disease from too many Lone Stars. If the team changes their name, I'll sue. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: (you're a hoot!!!) :D

NateDawg39
02-17-2006, 02:47 PM
To make everyone happy. All teams will be considered Team #1 and Team #2. Home team is 1 and away is 2. For those who are offended by the color blue, red, green, yellow and purple, we will change all teams to black and white. Home team in black and away team in white. No more logos either just plain white helmets.:rolleyes: People take things a bit to far I think.

Buccaneer
02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
Houston 1836- I don't know if it is offensive but it sure seems like a dumb name to me. What other teams have a year(only the number, no 'ers) as their name?

Buccaneer
02-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
OMG if the Hispanics find that offensive because of the reason you said, they need to return back to Mexico and THEN they can feel that way....but dont pull that crap in the USA!!!! :mad: :hand:

It WAS their land till we revolted and defeated them!

Bandera YaYa
02-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
It WAS their land till we revolted and defeated them! I understand... I'm just sick to death of hearing people moan and groan over words (names). You'll never please everyone, so why even try? And I do agree, 1836 IS a dumb name!! :D

TexasHSFootball
02-17-2006, 04:52 PM
Now answer this.. since when did a year in time become offensive? :doh:

Manck
02-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Answers:

Many European and South American clubs use the year of the club's founding in the team name. It is usually printed, but hardly ever said.

IMHO, the name should be Houston Rovers. The name "Rovers" is a very traditional nickname in soccer teams in the United Kingdom (i.e., Shamrock Rovers, Bristol Rover, Doncaster Rovers, Blackburn Rovers). So you get the traditional aspect that MLS wants.
It also brings in the space program that Houston has been known so much for for the last half of the century (Lunar Rover, etc.)

I think it's great, and it should have been the first choice.

If the CLUB had been founded in 1836, it would be a decent name, but I just think they were asking for someone to be pissed off about it on both ends of the Anglo-Mexican spectrum.

I'll hate the team either way;) GO FC DALLAS!

3&2count
02-17-2006, 08:49 PM
did I hear them say that 1836 is also the year Houston was founded? They are trying to represent Houston right?

District303aPastPlayer
02-17-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa

something are just left better unsaid...