PDA

View Full Version : Louis L'Amour Fans ???

3afan
02-16-2006, 05:51 PM
any Louis L'Amour fans out there?

lostaussie
02-16-2006, 05:59 PM
i used to be big time . still read a few westerns every now and then. trying to get my son interested in them. reading not high on his priorety list.

STANG RED
02-16-2006, 06:25 PM
My mom reads them to my dad while he is driving. I think the main reason he has her do it though, is to keep her eyes off the speedometer.

olddawggreen
02-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I own every one of his books in hardback and have read them all!:)

3afan
02-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I own every one of his books in hardback and have read them all!:)

me too

olddawggreen
02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
me too
I started reading Louie L. books when I was 17 in the navy, they were easy reading , there were lots of them available and were extreemly entertaining.
Some years later I read all of the Terry Johnston books that he had written, more detailed, more history. Ive read tons of other books in between, and am now in the process of working my through all of the W.E.B. Griffin books that I can get my hands on, but I will always have a special fondness for Louie L's books, they taught me how entertaining books can be. I love getting into a really good author's series. It allows you to continue the story for a while longer. I hate it when a good book ends.

As I've told my boys, you can travel the world and meet tons of interesting people through reading, with out ever leaving your house. :) :)

Homesick
02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
A very talented writer. His attention to detail and historical accuracy really set his books apart. His many westerns are very entertaining, I especially like the Sackett series.

Two of his best, IMHO, are not westerns. The Walking Drum and Last of the Breed are in totally different settings and really illustrate the breadth of his knowledge.

3afan
02-16-2006, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
...... Terry Johnston .......

yep - read lots of his stuff too - very good

AggieJohn
02-16-2006, 08:04 PM
did he curl?