PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Cowboys pass on SLC's Todd Dodge

kepdawg
02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
Carroll's Dodge flattered by Cowboys' interest

02:49 PM CST on Thursday, February 16, 2006

By TIM MacMAHON and TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge said he interviewed with the Dallas Cowboys about their tight ends coaching job this week. But the highly successful high school coach said Cowboys coach Bill Parcells informed him Wednesday that the team would go in another direction.

The Cowboys announced the hiring Thursday of Freddie Kitchens, a former Alabama quarterback who spent the past two seasons as a Mississippi State assistant after three seasons at North Texas.

Dodge, a lifelong Cowboys fan, said he never thought of coaching in the NFL until he was contacted by Parcells last week.

"I appreciated him thinking of me," said Dodge, whose team was named the mythical national champions the past two seasons. "On a random winter day, I got a call from one of the legends in coaching. I was very flattered."

Carroll has used a spread offense, which does not employ a tight end, to go 63-1 and win three Class 5A Division II state titles over the past four seasons. Carroll set a 5A record with 764 points last season. Only Vince Young's 2001 Houston Madison team scored more points that Carroll's 2002 and 2004 teams.

This is the second time Dodge, whose son, Riley, will be Carroll's starting quarterback next season, has been contacted about a job this offseason. Dodge said he declined an invitation to interview for Rice's head coaching vacancy before Todd Graham was hired.

Dodge's only coaching experience above the high school level was as UNT's offensive coordinator/receivers coach in 1992 and '93. Jeff Ireland, the Cowboys' vice president of college and pro scouting, was also an assistant on that staff.

In addition to finalizing his coaching staff, Parcells delegated some new roles to old faces Thursday.

Tony Sparano, denied the chance to become Sean Payton's offensive coordinator in New Orleans, was promoted to assistant head coach and will continue to handle the offensive line and running game duties.

Wide receivers coach Todd Haley will replace Payton as the passing game coordinator. Payton was the assistant head coach and passing game coordinator in 2005.

With Chris Palmer on board as the quarterbacks coach, David Lee is now the offensive quality control coach.

It will be the second straight year Parcells has not used the offensive coordinator title. It's not clear who will call plays in 2006 after Payton handled the job last season.

E-mail tmacmahon@dallasnews.com

E-mail tarcher@dallasnews.com

Rabbit'93
02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
PR stunt:)

Phil C
02-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

I think you are right.

WOSgrad
02-16-2006, 06:00 PM
If it was, it looks like it may have worked.

kepdawg
02-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93

The 'boys don't need any pub!