PDA

View Full Version : Secret Tunnels???

BreckTxLonghorn
02-15-2006, 01:54 PM
A big fuss has come up around Austin lately about UT's 'secret' tunnels that run throughout the campus. Its kind of a badly kept secret, but its still cool to see some of the secrets. Enjoy!!

http://www.betterthanyourboyfriend.com/the-secret-tunnels-under-ut.htm

NateDawg39
02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Thats pretty kool. I might have to explore ACU tonight to find the secrets that they keep hidden:)

STANG RED
02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
Most large complexes of mulitple buildings, whether it be a large university or something else, have alot of tunnels around their camuses. Some are still in use, and some are not.
All heating and cooling used to be done exclusively with large boilers and cooling towers that are centrally located at a central plant. These large lines had to get to all these buildings somehow. Many campuses still have central plants in full operation, but many have gone to stand alone heat and a/c at each building. Some utilities tunnels on some campuses are very large, and could very easily house homeless people and/or many types of wildlife and stray dogs and cats. I've been in some, that someone could easily set up fairly comfortable living conditions.

Old Tiger
02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
There is a little known secret around Aggieland...I'm not sure on the details but from what I understand it has to do with sheep and goats...

Bulldog_12
02-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
There is a little known secret around Aggieland...I'm not sure on the details but from what I understand it has to do with sheep and goats...

Actually we do have secret tunnels as well. One actually leads to an armory under the Trigon. They did a story on it in the Battalion. There is supposedly a big vault down there with rifles and such. We also have tunnels running under campus but I forget what for.

Old Tiger
02-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Is this vault like Capones?

Bulldog_12
02-15-2006, 03:05 PM
I guess, here is the link to the story. They talk about the vault at the bottom.

A&M Tunnels (http://www.thebatt.com/media/paper657/news/2005/11/22/Aggielife/Urban.Legends-1112579.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.thebatt.com)

BreckTxLonghorn
02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
UT's tunnels were actually big news back in the Walt Whitman tower shootings. Since he was picking people apart with the rifle, they used the tunnels to get into the shower and ambush him. So they can actually be very valuable. However, the new problem is the worry of terrorist and activist groups attacking the university through the tunnel system.

Cool, but scary

STANG RED
02-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
UT's tunnels were actually big news back in the Walt Whitman tower shootings. Since he was picking people apart with the rifle, they used the tunnels to get into the shower and ambush him. So they can actually be very valuable. However, the new problem is the worry of terrorist and activist groups attacking the university through the tunnel system.

Cool, but scary

Unfortunatly, that is a very real threat. Kinda scarry, how easy those guys got into the tunnel system isnt it?

big daddy russ
02-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Corpus used to have an underground mall uptown. The underground tunnels are still visible, as they start in a park downtown (the park's in between Mesquite and Tancahua, if I remember right), run underneath uptown and exit in one of the bank buildings. They've been gated up for a while, but it's still cool. Me and a couple of buddies cut the locks to the gate once and went inside. Not much to see, a few nooks where vendors used to be, that's about it. Probably runs about a quarter of a mile.

spiveyrat
02-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Are these tunnels anything like the "Magic rotating door"? :D