PDA

View Full Version : Vince Y. Not Participating?

Chief Ohera
02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
ummmmmmmmmm............
wonder why he is not going to throw at the NFL scouting combine, he said he will just do interviews.
here is my take on the whole thing
garabe, he knows he doesn't have the passing skills that the other qb's in the draft have, and he doesn't want to get imbarrased by his lack of skills,
and the teams that are going to interview him better bring a great INTERPRETER, so they can understand his lack of grammer,

so my brothers,
until next time..................
your buddy the one and only Chief.

Bullaholic
02-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Chief....I just got to ask you----How do you fix your keyboard to type like that?

Emerson1
02-14-2006, 09:35 PM
What is with this grammar thing? Most of the players at OU speak the same way, you probably do to you just don't notice it.

vet93
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Bull...it seems to me that someone who spells like the chief shouldn't be throwing stones about someone else's grammar...just a thought!

espn1
02-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Chief....I just got to ask you----How do you fix your keyboard to type like that? LMAO! Twice!

Crimestick
02-14-2006, 10:17 PM
I think that among people "in the know," the consensus is that if you're a guaranteed Top 5 pick, you don't participate in the scouting combine. Why would you? Regardless who you are, it can only hurt you. Find me two #1 picks in the last 5 years who participated. It's standard. Get a clue.

mrescape43
02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
VY will not be a top NFL Qback. He will have to change positions to be successful at the next level.

Emerson1
02-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera
I'm jealous that UT won the nationalchampionship. If VY was on my team I would be happy.
fixed

injuredinmelee
02-14-2006, 10:32 PM
He will be as successful as Michael Vick. Top 5 picks never ever ever ever particpate in the combine. Who is the last sooner qb to start an NFL game? If you would have read anything concerning the skills and drills challenge he particpated in last week and heard what the scouts said you would understand whats going on. He gets the job done and you cannot argue with that.

sinton66
02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
YES he can! His mind is made up, don't confuse him with facts.:D

3afan
02-14-2006, 10:35 PM
here is one "experts" assessment in a mock draft ::

3) Tennessee Titans- Vince Young- QB - This pick is amazing for both Young and the Titans. Vince Young is a mirror image of his idle, and mentor, Steve McNair. Steve McNair can mentor Young for another 2 maybe 3 years and then let is pupil flourish. Nobody can doubt his ability, and with the chance to sit for 2 years and learn the NFL game, he has the opportunity to become a perennial all-pro

lepfan
02-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Most of the players at OU speak the same way, you probably do to you just don't notice it. Then name them out....

Emerson1
02-14-2006, 10:43 PM
It's called urban ebonics, some schools in CA are even teaching it as a 2nd language.

3afan
02-14-2006, 10:44 PM
another assessment -

VINCE YOUNG
QB | Texas | Scouting Report
After last year's salary cap purge the Titans are now in full rebuilding mode which means there are a lot of directions they could potentially go with this pick. What may turn the tide in the favor of Vince Young though is the teams desire to look for the best talent available and Young's relationship with their current signal caller. Steve McNair met Young while he was attending the Titan quarterbacks football camp as a sophomore in high school and since then has taken him under his wing and been described as a father figure to the Longhorn standout. There is a good chance that McNair may retire but if Young is brought in you'd have to think Steve would stick around at least another year to help mentor and help groom his replacement. There is simply no denying Vince Young's talent and he probably has as high of an upside as any prospect that has come along in the last 10-20 years. However he also has a major downside and is just as likely to be a bust of epic proportions as he is to turn into a transcendent star. There is always risk when it comes to the NFL Draft, it just so happens that in Young's case the stakes are as high as ever. A phenomenal athlete with excellent size and running abilities, Young is able to do things on the football field that others don't dare dream of. However he is also extremely raw as a passer, has an unconventional delivery, lacks great arm strength and will likely need to sit and learn for a year or two before he is ready to play in the NFL. Offensive tackle is also a concern with Brad Hopkins likely to be moving on soon so D'Brickashaw Ferguson is a very real possibility here as well, but in the end the McNair factor and Young's potential might be the deciding factor.

sinton66
02-14-2006, 10:47 PM
lacks arm strength? I SAW this kid throw several bombs in the HS highlights I watched that went 60 yds or better.

3afan
02-14-2006, 10:48 PM
yeah I thought that was an odd comment

Emerson1
02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Dan Marino had a weird arm release to.

slpybear the bullfan
02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
LOL... I have the skills challenge taped on TIVO. All you have to do is watch that to see what kind of potential excites the pro teams.

big daddy russ
02-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
VY will not be a top NFL Qback. He will have to change positions to be successful at the next level.
Even if he's not, he'll laugh all the way to the bank. Smart move on Vince's part.

Chief Ohera
02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
The egoistic guy is overrated, ya he will be a good player in the league but he doesn't have to tools at qb, he will fair well at another position just not qb,
so brothers until next time......
your buddy the chief of STATS...

mrescape43
02-14-2006, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big daddy russ
Even if he's not, he'll laugh all the way to the bank. Smart move on Vince's part. [/QUOTE

You are probably right. He is very physically talented just not an NFL QB.

big daddy russ
02-14-2006, 11:20 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by big daddy russ
Even if he's not, he'll laugh all the way to the bank. Smart move on Vince's part. [/QUOTE

You are probably right. He is very physically talented just not an NFL QB.
I'm not very high on him as a QB, but there's no denying that he has tons of athleticism and a huge heart. I wouldn't put money on him being the next Marino, but you can't argue with his intangibles.

sinton66
02-14-2006, 11:23 PM
You guys are something else. Here's a prediction for you: Vince Young will prove to be the BEST Black quarterback yet in the NFL.

slpybear the bullfan
02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Agreed.

big daddy russ
02-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
You guys are something else. Here's a prediction for you: Vince Young will prove to be the BEST Black quarterback yet in the NFL.
I think a lot of it depends on where he goes. He really is a QB who's strengths belong in certain systems, but would be wasted in others. Nobody will ever compare him to Marino as a pure pocket passer, but put him in an offense like the West Coast where he gets out on bootlegs, puts pressure on the defense and concentrates on the short- to mid-range passing game and he could become a player similar to Joe Montana or Steve Young... maybe a little more athletic but not as accurate an arm.

I think Tennessee and Norm Chow would be a great fit, San Fran would be a good fit, Denver, Seattle, and Green Bay would all be good fits.

On the flipside, I don't think he's ideal for an offense like the one Sean Payton's used to running (New Orleans) or the ones in Dallas, Carolina, or Houston. He does have good arm strength, but I've never been big on his downfield accuracy. His range tapers off sharply after about 25 yards.

I know I bash Texas a lot, but I'm rooting for Vince to succeed. I hope he goes to Tennessee (one of my favorite teams) and becomes the next big thing... I just don't think the chances of that happening are as good as everyone else thinks.

Still, I'm not going to knock the guy for coming out now and not working out, just like I didn't knock LeBron for doing the same a few years back. You can only kick yourself out of a top spot.

School is a means to an end... a good job that pays well. If you're guaranteed a multi-million dollar contract, you can afford to go to school on your own dime and you're wasting your time playing more college ball.

big daddy russ
02-14-2006, 11:38 PM
nm

sinton66
02-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Three years ago, right here on this very board, I predicted Vince Young to become a BIG star at Texas. He did. Last year I said all he needed was some quality receivers, they gave him three, and look what happened. I have seen enough of Vince Young to firmly believe the young man can do whatever he sets his heart on. If that is to be the best black quarterback ever in the NFL (through the end of his tenure), then that is what will happen. I am saying that Randall Cunningham, Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb, and the rest will eventually pale in comparison. I'm saying the NFL is in for a different kind of QB than they're used to, they will have to adjust their games to him, and he will do well.

KTJ
02-15-2006, 12:04 AM

When you become an NFL scout, coach, or player, then I'll pay attention. But since you aren't, your post is a waste and is of no value.

AggiesAreWe
02-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I think Vince Young wants to be the best QB he can be, not the best black QB he can be.

On that note, he'll definetly need some tutoring in the art of giving interviews.

Chief Ohera
02-15-2006, 12:17 AM
it's funny how everyone is on his bandwagon, man i hate bandwagon hoppers, nfl scouts and anyalists are not sold on his passing skills and mechanics.
yes he has physical ability that is promising but i tend to believe what the people around the league are saying, and i will believe them over all the bandwagon jumpers on here, you said he had three great recievers, that's bolony, none of them will make it to the league, all VY does is run the football and trust me he will not be as fast as those outside linebackers in the league, this is my opinion, he will be one of the biggest flops at qb, but i believe that he will succeed at another position, maybe the waterboy to steve mcnair. now that would be priceless,
so brothers until next time.......
your buddy the chief of STATS........
BOOMER SOONER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

GreenMonster
02-15-2006, 12:20 AM

I have to disagree. I'm not a VY fan or even a Texas fan. I have seen very few of this young man's games, but I saw 2 very big games. 2 games that he showed that he had IT. Whatever IT is, VY has it. It cannot be measured or timed. He has physical abilities that are other worldly. He is raw as a passer, this I agree on, but given a little bit of time and a lot of work on doing the little things correctly and VY's natural physical abilities will come together with the mechanics of NFL QBing and we will see a beast on the gridiron. Mix that with VY's IT factor and you have a recipe for success.

sinton66
02-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Tell ya what Chief, go look up his season stats as far as passing and running. PROVE to me that ALL he does is run. If you can't do that, then shut up. Your opinion isn't based on facts, merely bias.

DU_stud04
02-15-2006, 03:34 AM
vince young has the making of being one of the best quaterbacks ever, i dont see him doing anything great these first 2 years, but time is needed for the adjustment and training him to the right mode.....give him 3 years in the league and he WILL turn many heads.

3afan
02-15-2006, 07:03 AM
.... you said he had three great recievers, that's bolony, none of them will make it to the league, ...

whether or not a receiver, or any college player, makes it to the NFL and excels does not define their "worth" at the college level .......... yes, UTs 3 may not ever play a down in the NFL, but for the 2005-6 season, for the U of Texas they were very good NCAA D-I receivers ..... when VY plays in the NFL his receivers, whoever they might be, will be NFL quality - that will make him a better passer

3afan
02-15-2006, 07:06 AM
...... the chief of STATS...

lets see some stats - back up what you say!

and by the way, every place I have read has VY a top 5 pick ------ and I'd bet the writers for nfl.com, foxsports.com, etc. are more in tune with what the pro scouts are saying that you are - just a hunch

:thumbsup:

HighSchool Fan
02-15-2006, 07:57 AM
it's funny some people here try to discredit VY, yet the people who do the scouting and coaching for a living thinks he's gonna do just fine as a NFL QB. i'd take someone who actually knows something about football before i'd take the little chiefs comments. the little chief boy is just jealous of VY.

Maroon87
02-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Chief....Vince and the Horns won the big one. Scoreboard. Time to move on.

espn1
02-15-2006, 09:40 AM
it's funny how everyone is on his bandwagon, man i hate bandwagon hoppers, Tell me this? When are you supposed to root for him? Ten years after his career? Did you ever think that the reason he has a Band following is because of his skills? That should be an indicator right there. Vince Young is one of the best QB's that has ever played the game of Football period. If you can't concur with that then I'd have to discount your football evaluating skills across the board. If he didn’t have a solid reason for going into the Pro’s, he would have stuck around to win the Heisman next year. I see Vince and T.O. working well together.

JasperDog94
02-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Does everyone remember last year at this time people were saying that VY didn't have what it takes to be a great passing QB in college? Remember all those comments about how bad his mechanic were and that he would throw more ints that TDs? Two words: "Ohio State" VY won that game with his passing. This is just the same song second verse for the VY/Texas haters. Give it a rest guys.

big daddy russ
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
...you said he had three great recievers, that's bolony, none of them will make it to the league...
Sorry Chief, I'm gonna have to call you on that one. Limas Sweed is 6'5", 220, has super soft hands and can jump over anyone.

I don't care if he doesn't run perfect routes and doesn't run a 4.3, an NFL scout looks at that and wets himself. That's the basic souting report that Larry Fitzgerald had coming out of Pitt.

Limas will be a 1st- or 2nd-round pick before it's all said and done.

Pittman will definitely be drafted too, likely on the first day. Same size and speed as Santonio Holmes, just overshadowed by Sweed.

And don't forget Cosby. He's still developing. May not get to the league but if he doesn't it'll only be because he'll be 27 by the time he's expected to graduatedl.

Phil C
02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
Let's not forget that one former sooner qb did very well in the NFL. His name was Troy Aikman and he won three super bowls. Of course he was only a sooner one year and transferred to UCLA.

KTJ
02-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Here are some things that make me laugh--

1.) Chief Ohera being the dumbest person on this board. And what's funny is that he shows his stupidity everytime he posts something. Not to mention, he shows his lack of football knowledge.

2.) Chief Ohera discrediting the UT football team when his team got blown out by said football team.

That is all.

If I get in trouble for the above, then I'm sorry. It had to be said.

JasperDog94
02-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't care if he doesn't run perfect routes and doesn't run a 4.3, an NFL scout looks at that and wets himself. :clap: :clap: :clap: You're killing me....stop it!:D :D

Chief Ohera
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
okay ladies, i love it when last year everyone was hating on his passing abilities, and suddenly this year everyone justs thinks this guy is the next MONTANA, give me a break, he can't just change is passing mechanics in one year,
what is he going to do when he gets pressured, blitzed and completely blown up by some of the NFL defenders,
ladies the league is not the college game, you all have to remember that, just b/c he had one great year doesn't mean he will be a great NFL qb, he will have to adjust and what he did in college if he does the same thing in the NFL he will get plasted, i can't get over how many bandwagon jumper there are on this forum, it really kinda sad in a way,
so my ladies, until next time..............
your buddy and friend the one chief.........................

Hupernikomen
02-15-2006, 12:46 PM
okay ladies, i love it when last year everyone was hating on his passing abilities, and suddenly this year everyone justs thinks this guy is the next MONTANA, give me a break, he can't just change is passing mechanics in one year,
what is he going to do when he gets pressured, blitzed and completely blown up by some of the NFL defenders,
ladies the league is not the college game, you all have to remember that, just b/c he had one great year doesn't mean he will be a great NFL qb, he will have to adjust and what he did in college if he does the same thing in the NFL he will get plasted, i can't get over how many bandwagon jumper there are on this forum, it really kinda sad in a way,
so my ladies, until next time..............
your buddy and friend the one chief.........................

Maybe leading the nation in passing efficiency earned him a little respect??

big daddy russ
02-15-2006, 01:33 PM
Happened to find this (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8826) just now. Just a professional opinion to back up my nonprofessional one about Sweed.

This profile was made after only his redshirt season, as it was last updated 10/02/05. It was based on a redshirt freshman season in which he only caught 23 balls for 263 yards and no TD's. They still ranked him #12 of 81 WR's, #67 overall just in case he came out after his redshirt sophomore year (remember... three years removed from HS).

I'm still up in the air about Young as a pro QB, but UT will keep churning out top notch receivers just like Penn State will keep churning out top notch LBs (Paul Poszluzny) and USC will keep churning out top notch RBs (LenDale White, Bush).

slpybear the bullfan
02-15-2006, 05:53 PM
And while we are talking receivers.... don't forget the name of TE Dave Thomas. That kid will do well in the NFL.

Pmoney
02-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
And while we are talking receivers.... don't forget the name of TE Dave Thomas. That kid will do well in the NFL.
David will be the next star TE in the NFL if you ask me

Old Tiger
02-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Mel Kiper Jr. said VY will be good in the NFL and he is the draft expert so 'nuff said.

sinton66
02-15-2006, 08:00 PM
i can't get over how many bandwagon jumper there are on this forum, it really kinda sad in a way,

I see, you can't come up with any FACTS, so you resort to name calling. How intelligent is that?

mustang04
02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
all VY does is run the football and trust me he will not be as fast as those outside linebackers in the league,
are u serious????? in the open field he'll dust most of the linebackers in the league.....dude, u just need to shut up, ur just saying stupid stuff and i know that YOU know that its not true, i think ur someone just havin fun stirring the pot....and ur doing a great job!!!:clap: :rolleyes:

mustang04
02-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
are u serious????? in the open field he'll dust most of the linebackers in the league.....dude, u just need to shut up, ur just saying stupid stuff and i know that YOU know that its not true, i think ur someone just havin fun stirring the pot....and ur doing a great job!!!:clap: :rolleyes:

where are ya chief???? im callin u out right here, i didnt call u any names in this last post, as far as im concerned...im doing nothing wrong to u....just stating my opinion as u are stating urs....
so until next time.....
HOOK 'em HORNS!!!

AggieJohn
02-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Mel Kiper Jr. said VY will be good in the NFL and he is the draft expert so 'nuff said. he's only that way because espn tells everyone to interview him and call him that...he's normally only 50 percent right, which my baby cousin could do in the dark if she had to choose