PDA

View Full Version : Seeking input/opinions on Caldwell's program

xlr8
02-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Just curious what products from other programs in the state think is good and what lacks in Caldwell's program. Honest, objective input from other schools in recent district encouraged. Thanks. I think this might be useful.

Milk That Cow
02-14-2006, 09:37 PM
I remember when ya'll had a guy named Bobby Jack Goforth...

He was one of the Greatest High School Athletes Of All Time...

A Flat Out Legend...

But, for the amount of talent ya'll have had over the years, the coaching has fallen way short....

vet93
02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I don't know about the coaching or athletes in Caldwell...so this comment may be way off base...but I have noticed that towns have personalities. Some towns are just stuck with a rotten attitude that perpetuates losing. The adults pass it on to the kids and the cycle goes on and on. This can be changed with either a huge influx of talent or consistent, great coaching. However, often when the coaching or great athletes leave...the town falls back into their mediocre ways. Why else to some towns with decent athletes seem to lose on average year in and year out. Again, this is not pointed at Caldwell...just an observation about towns in general.

Crimestick
02-14-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm a West Orange-Stark graduate and supporter, but my mother graduated from Caldwell, so I'm more than familiar with the area. I've been going there all my life. Half of our stuff at home is WO-S Mustangs and half is Caldwell Hornets. However, my mom has crossed over to the blue and silver. When I was a kid, I used to go to Caldwell games once or twice a year. Until dropping to 3A, I was unaware that the team was on the rise. I don't know a lot about what is coming, but know that, at least in one person, there is a WO-S/Caldwell link. I hope to bump into you guys in the playoffs this year. My mom will be so torn. My grandparents, until a few years ago, lived over on W. Alligator, just down the road from where the old depot used to be and on the same street as the railroad tracks. I used to spend hours on that little playground out there, and I'm sure that, within the next two years or so, my son will do the same. There's a baseball diamond right across the street from their old house. I love that town. I know this is irrelevant to the topic, but I thought I'd share. Small world, huh?

injuredinmelee
02-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I don't know about the coaching or athletes in Caldwell...so this comment may be way off base...but I have noticed that towns have personalities. Some towns are just stuck with a rotten attitude that perpetuates losing. The adults pass it on to the kids and the cycle goes on and on. This can be changed with either a huge influx of talent or consistent, great coaching. However, often when the coaching or great athletes leave...the town falls back into their mediocre ways. Why else to some towns with decent athletes seem to lose on average year in and year out. Again, this is not pointed at Caldwell...just an observation about towns in general.

Well said.

xlr8
02-14-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
I remember when ya'll had a guy named Bobby Jack Goforth...

He was one of the Greatest High School Athletes Of All Time...

A Flat Out Legend...

But, for the amount of talent ya'll have had over the years, the coaching has fallen way short....

Actually, we had a good coach that got fed up with the small-town "make my kid a star" mentality and went to Taylor. We narrowly missed having to play them in district which could have been interesting.

Goforth is now at SA Jay as I think the offensive coordinator, and doing well from what I hear. I met someone last week at my work who played under him at Katy when he was an asst. there. It always helps to be a coach's son, of course, but he was as good a QB as he was a receiver. When his dad got canned after a losing record over 10 years, I think the family was so shocked that they never returned.

Not sure if the word "legend" is fair but he was certainly dedicated. There have been a lot of greats from the Caldwell program like Alfred Jackson, Jerry Harrison, Charlie Krueger, Johnny Symank, Kris Kocurek and most recently Jason Carter and they had a talented RB - Mike Stone, in the 90's but don't know what happened to him after college in Louisiana.

The program needs continuity and the school board needs to find someone committed to sticking around for at least 6 years again to keep the program above average to strong. The JV was unbeaten last year but that's happened quite often only to see them miss the playoffs when players turn varsity. We'll see.

CHS_CG
02-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Well, I live in Caldwell and I know that A LOT of parents are just.. well never mind, somebody might have their feelings hurt. But our old coach was a GREAT coach, we were improving every year. my senior year we went to round 1, year after went to round 2, not to mention we knocked off the #5 team in the state in 1st round, last year... lets see we were almost last.. was it coaching or was it players.. I dunno for sure. What I do know is that our JV team last year were undefeated and almost all of them should be coming up to varsity.. Havent heard how the teams is gunna look but hopefully we will do a lot better than we did the last year!

yoemenkracker30
02-15-2006, 12:52 AM
cameron and caldwell always had some interesting games, i sure hate the fact that they wont see each other in the regular season for the next 2 years, but hey, playoffs could be interesting...best of luck to caldwell in the next few years