PDA

View Full Version : OSU coach cited for DUI, out for the yeaar

3afan
02-13-2006, 12:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=AtH7XpZcLl5.sKfd5wQiCmg5nYcB?slug=ap-sutton-accident&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sutton cited with DUI, will not coach for rest of season
By KELLY KURT, Associated Press Writer
February 13, 2006

TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- Eddie Sutton was cited with driving under the influence after he was injured in a car accident, and the Oklahoma State basketball coach will take a medical leave for the rest of the season.

The injuries to the 69-year-old coach, along with chronic back pain, prompted the decision, the school said Monday. Sean Sutton, his son and head-coach designate, will finish this season as coach. The university added that no decision has been made on who will coach next season.

Sutton was hospitalized overnight for a head injury and released Saturday. The occupant of the other SUV received minor injuries and was released at the scene, officers said.

In a statement released by the university, Sutton said that "with my deteriorating physical condition and other issues, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress."

The coach said he had been close to taking a medical leave after a Feb. 4 trip to Kansas State "because the pain in my back was making it very difficult to coach."

"After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health," he said. "It is very difficult to step away from the team. But I know they are in great hands."

Stillwater police cited Sutton after Friday's accident but did not jail him on a complaint because of a lack of physical evidence, the city's police chief said Monday.

Police are awaiting the results of blood tests that will confirm whether the coach was driving under the influence, Stillwater Chief Norman McNickle said. It could take six to eight weeks to receive the test results. Sutton was not given a field sobriety test at the time because he needed treatment, McNickle said.

Before issuing a DUI citation "officers have to have reasonable suspicion to believe the person was under the influence at the time," the chief said, declining to discuss those suspicions because they are part of an investigation.

The police department has filed complaints against Sutton for speeding and crossing the road's center line, the chief said.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident happened. According to a police report, Sutton's sport utility vehicle went left of the center line on a Stillwater street, corrected and then struck another SUV from behind at about 60 mph.

Witnesses told police that shortly before the accident, Sutton was unsteady on his feet and struck his head after falling in the parking lot of Gallagher-Iba Arena before entering his vehicle, Stillwater police said Saturday.

Updated on Monday, Feb 13, 2006 12:04 pm EST

bhtrainer
02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
thats crazy...

kaorder1999
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
not good for a career

Johnny Utah
02-13-2006, 03:24 PM
They are waiting on toxicology tests. Will take 6 to 8 weeks. Same thing happened to Billy Clyde at UTEP. Big time coaches will survive this!!!

STANG RED
02-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I can get results on one of those test in a matter of a couple of hours, here in Abilene, if I need it for an employee involved in an accident. Why does it take them 6 to 8 weeks?

GreenMonster
02-13-2006, 03:43 PM
What I'm wondering about is if he was under the influence of alcohol or if it was prescription meds for the back pain. I find it very hard to believe that a major college head basketball coach would get liquored up before a team flight. My suspicion is he was simply medicated up.

big daddy russ
02-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
not good for a career
He's 69, LOL.

3afan
02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I can get results on one of those test in a matter of a couple of hours, here in Abilene, if I need it for an employee involved in an accident. Why does it take them 6 to 8 weeks?

need time for it to blow over maybe? :thinking:

lepfan
02-13-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
What I'm wondering about is if he was under the influence of alcohol or if it was prescription meds for the back pain. I find it very hard to believe that a major college head basketball coach would get liquored up before a team flight. My suspicion is he was simply medicated up. He has been on meds for a back injury or something like that.....so I suspect that is what it is... Now we all not I am NOT an OSU fan, but I say don't judge until ya know all the facts.

KTJ
02-13-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm thinking it was meds too.

I think this will be Coach Sutton's last year. He's a legend but it's time for is son to take over.

lepfan
02-14-2006, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I'm thinking it was meds too.

I think this will be Coach Sutton's last year. He's a legend but it's time for is son to take over.

The article I just read said he has a script of hydrocodone (pain reliever) in the vehicle with him....

Paratrooper
02-14-2006, 08:15 AM
He can still be charged with driving under the influence even with meds, if it was specific that he should not drive. If he was actually drunk they need to lock him up for about 6 months. If you think it's not serious read this story and watch this video about a drunk.......pretty sobering (no pun intended). They need to slam these baffoons that get behind a wheel.

http://www.helpjacqui.com/home.htm

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
He's a legend but it's time for is son to take over.

he's accomplished alot in his career, but i don't think he's a legend.

STANG RED
02-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

Maybe not quiet, but he's pretty close. I'd hate to see his career come to a close with this kind of stain on it.

lepfan
02-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
He can still be charged with driving under the influence even with meds, if it was specific that he should not drive. That is why they put those little yellow stickers on the bottle...I was not saying he should not be charged with DUI...I was just saying it was not that he went out and got snockered on booze....not to say this type of under the influence is any less severe....

kaorder1999
02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He's 69, LOL.

and did I say not good for HIS career? nope...said not good for A career

KTJ
02-14-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

Easily a top 15 coach in NCAA history.

And nowadays, the word "legend" is used loosely.

stickandmove
02-15-2006, 11:25 AM
He was ready to pass it on to his son anyways. He will retire with little to no punishment. The only thing effected is the way some people may remember this legendary coach.