PDA

View Full Version : Cheney shoots lawyer by accident

Phantom Stang
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Cheney shoots lawyer by accident
Vice president mistakenly peppers companion while quail hunting in Texas

By Associated Press
February 13, 2006

CORPUS CHRISTI - Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot and wounded a companion during a weekend quail hunting trip in Texas, spraying the fellow hunter in the face and chest with shotgun pellets.

Harry Whittington, a millionaire attorney from Austin, was in stable condition in the intensive care unit of a Corpus Christi hospital on Sunday, according to Yvonne Wheeler, spokeswoman for the Christus Spohn Health System.

The incident occurred Saturday at a ranch in south Texas where the vice president and two companions were hunting quail. It was not reported publicly by the vice president's office for nearly 24 hours, and then only after the incident was reported locally by the Corpus Christi Caller-Times.

Katharine Armstrong, the ranch's owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-guage shotgun and that Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek, neck and chest.

Each of the hunters were wearing bright orange vests at the time, Armstrong told reporters at the ranch about 60 miles southwest of Corpus Christi. She said Whittington was ''alert and doing fine.''

Armstrong in an interview with The Associated Press said emergency personnel traveling with Cheney tended to Whittington before an ambulance - routinely on call because of the vice president's presence - took him to the hospital.

Cheney's spokeswoman, Lea Anne McBride, said the vice president met with Whittington and his wife at the hospital on Sunday. Cheney ''was pleased to see that he's doing fine and in good spirits,'' she said.

Armstrong said she was watching from a car while Cheney, Whittington and another hunter got out of the vehicle to shoot at a covey of quail.

Whittington shot a bird and went to look for it in the tall grass, while Cheney and the third hunter walked to another spot and discovered a second covey.

Whittington ''came up from behind the vice president and the other hunter and didn't signal them or indicate to them or announce himself,'' Armstrong said.

''The vice president didn't see him,'' she continued. ''The covey flushed and the vice president picked out a bird and was following it and shot. And by god, Harry was in the line of fire and got peppered pretty good.''

Whittington has been a private practice attorney in Austin since 1950 and has long been active in Texas Republican politics. He's been appointed to several state boards, including when then-Gov. George W. Bush named him to the Texas Funeral Service Commission.

McBride did not comment about why the vice president's office did not tell reporters about the accident until the next day. She referred the question to Armstrong, who could not be reached again Sunday evening.

Armstrong, owner of the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittington was bleeding and Cheney was very apologetic.

''It broke the skin,'' she said of the shotgun pellets. ''It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn't get in his eyes or anything like that.''

''Fortunately, the vice president has got a lot of medical people around him and so they were right there and probably more cautious than we would have been,'' she said. ''The vice president has got an ambulance on call, so the ambulance came.''

Cheney is an avid hunter who makes annual hunting trips to South Dakota to hunt pheasants. He also travels frequently to Arkansas to hunt ducks.

Armstrong said Cheney is a longtime friend who comes to the ranch to hunt about once a year and is ''a very safe sportsman.'' She said Whittington is a regular, too, but she thought it was the first time the two men hunted together.

''This is something that happens from time to time. You now, I've been peppered pretty well myself,'' said Armstrong.

The 50,000-acre Armstrong ranch has been in the influential south Texas family since the turn of the last century. Katharine is the daughter of Tobin Armstrong, a politically connected rancher who has been a guest at the White House and spent 48 years as director of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association. He died in October. Cheney was among the dignitaries who attended his funeral.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 1995-2006 The E.W. Scripps Co. and the Abilene Reporter-News.
All Rights Reserved.

sinton66
02-13-2006, 12:42 PM
NO POLITICAL COMMENTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

STANG RED
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Why would you shoot a lawyer by accident? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to do it on purpose!

District303aPastPlayer
02-13-2006, 12:43 PM
when i heard about this... i thought... Wow...

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2006, 12:47 PM
anyone have Cheaney's address, i can think of another lawyer he should take hunting.

STANG RED
02-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Quick. If you find yourself on a desert island with a rapeist, a murderer, a lawyer, and a gun with only two bullets in it.
What do you do first?
Shoot the lawyer!........................................... ...................Twice!

Cheney must have only had one shell.

BHBrave08
02-13-2006, 12:59 PM
That lawyer should have said something and not just popped back up.:doh: stupid stupid man.:tongue:

bhtrainer
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
how is the guy

District303aPastPlayer
02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
should be released today...

big daddy russ
02-13-2006, 01:10 PM
A 28 gauge, huh?

AP Panther Fan
02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
A 28 gauge, huh?

lol....I thought the same!:rolleyes: :D

BHBrave08
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
lol....I thought the same!:rolleyes: :D

lol... I didn't read long enough to see that. Pretty funny...:D

DU_stud04
02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
i read the guy is doing aiit, kinda like a small vacation on the couch environment.....blah i read it last night i dont remember it all but hes doing good

bulldogbark
02-13-2006, 01:33 PM
how does one prepare a 74 year old lawyer.....being so old do you have to soak him in milk then par-boil or is it best just to cut into thin strips for Jerkey...most lawyers make great Jerks ops jerkey:D

JasperDog94
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
A 28 gauge, huh? Quail hunting.

Phil C
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
OMG in South Texas Near Corpus Christi???!!!!! :eek:

AP Panther Fan
02-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
OMG in South Texas Near Corpus Christi???!!!!! :eek:

All over the news this morning.....just a bit of a delayed reaction. The local media must be losing its touch or something....:D

shankbear
02-13-2006, 04:37 PM
the national media is pi**ed off because a local Corpus Christi reporter babe broke the story.

District303aPastPlayer
02-13-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
the national media is pi**ed off because a local Corpus Christi reporter babe broke the story.

which one? Katia or Isis?

xlr8
02-13-2006, 05:17 PM
that's generally the way it works. Where the story breaks, that city SHOULD report it first.

LH Panther Mom
02-14-2006, 02:25 PM
My husband just heard on the radio that Mr. Whittington has suffered a heart attack. Apparently a piece of lead was lodged in his heart. Thankfully, he was still in the hospital. Please keep him in your thoughts for a full recovery.

HighSchool Fan
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
My husband just heard on the radio that Mr. Whittington has suffered a heart attack. Apparently a piece of lead was lodged in his heart. Thankfully, he was still in the hospital. Please keep him in your thoughts for a full recovery.

yes he did have a heart attack. the dr said it wasn't your typical heart attack, whatever that means. Mr Whittington has already said that he feels good enough to go home since that happened.

SintonFan
02-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
yes he did have a heart attack. the dr said it wasn't your typical heart attack, whatever that means. Mr Whittington has already said that he feels good enough to go home since that happened.
That's not good to hear. Mr. Whittington has been a very good political leader for a long time. I hope he makes a full recovery.

DaHop72
02-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Why would you shoot a lawyer by accident? I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to do it on purpose! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DU_stud04
02-14-2006, 05:52 PM
just read that the lawyer had a heart attack today........

sinton66
02-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Whittington suffers heart attack, returns to ICU
By Jaime Powell/Caller-Times
February 14, 2006

The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney on a weekend hunting trip suffered a minor heart attack this morning and is back in intensive care, hospital officials said.

A piece of birdshot was either touching or embedded in Harry Whittington's heart and caused a minor heart attack about 6:30 a.m., said Peter Banko, vice president and administrator of Christus Spohn Hospital Memorial.

Whittington underwent cardiac catheterization, a procedure to measure blood pressure within the heart and how much oxygen is in the blood. It also is used to get information about the pumping ability of the heart muscle, according to the American Heart Association.

Dr. David Blanchard, the hospital's director of emergency services, said heart irritation caused by a 5 millimeter BB lodged in or near Whittington's heart was diagnosed during a morning examination.

The hospital is treating Whittington with medication and he will remain hospitalized for an additional week for observation, Blanchard said.

Black_Magic
02-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Good Job Dick!!
Is this what you call friendly fire accident?