PDA

View Full Version : 2001 A Space Odyssey

Phil C
02-12-2006, 07:20 PM
This movie was on TCM the other night and was a great movie. It wasn't even nominated for Best Picture in 1968 much to the discredit of the Academy. It is a strange but great movie. It can be interpreted in different ways both during the movie and the ending. One has to see it to know what I mean and even then it will probably need to be watched twice. I highly recomment this unusual movie when it is shown again. I never saw it until recently and it is great even though when I saw it I was looking back 5 years instead of ahead 33 years when it first came out.
It has lots of visual effects and was ahead of its' time. When one sees it on tv it is best to record it so you can watch it again. It is the type that one needs to be ready to watch. Those that have seen it are sure to know what I mean. The only thing it is too bad this movie can't be seen anymore on the wide screen theatre as was intended.

Maroon87
02-12-2006, 07:28 PM
"Open the pod bay doors Hal."

"I'm sorry Dave...I'm afraid I can't do that."

Phil C
02-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Those of you that don't like to know about movies before you see them need to know that this is one movie the more you know about it the better it makes sense. It is an unusual movie in that it can be interpreted several ways and no one way is right or wrong. Hal is the computer and many interpret it that he is very diobolical and evil while others interpret it that it is he that keeps focused on the mission and his human counterparts are really the guilty ones of human error. Others intepret that Hal is the one that is the victim of human error. It is so magnificient. I sure hope TCM shows it again next month so I can get it recorded.

Phil C
02-13-2006, 09:21 AM
The actors in this movie do a good job even though they are not all household names but the real "star" in this movie is the special effects. Like when the ship lands on the moon most movies would take many just a couple of minutes to show it but in this movie they take 15 minutes! But it is so effective and great you don't mind it at all. It is a very long show and even has an intermission. It is magnificient!

Aesculus gilmus
02-13-2006, 09:37 AM
I saw this movie in 1968. What is amazing is how little the space program has progressed. No country on earth was even close to launching an interplanetary manned mission in 2001.

So it should be called a space fantasy. When I was a kid, things were supposed to be so good by now that no one would have to work much at all and the main problem would be what to do with one's leisure time.

Instead, we are on the verge of Armageddon and/or massive dieoff as a species due to Peak Oil.