oct.20 Burkburnett* H 7:30pm
oct.26Th Hirschi* T 7:30pm
nov.3 Graham* H 7:30pm
nov.10 Iowa park* T 7:30pm

*=D6-3A Games

Chief Ohera
02-12-2006, 06:56 PM
who cares really, i absolutely don't,
so brothers until next time...................
your buddy the chief..........................

Maroon87
02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Chief Ohera

A lot of people probably care, since this is after all a HS football website and Vernon is a HS football team.:rolleyes:

NateDawg39
02-12-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
A lot of people probably care, since this is after all a HS football website and Vernon in a HS football team.:rolleyes: and I care because yall are playin Decatur.

injuredinmelee
02-12-2006, 07:41 PM

anyone know where this genius went to school? Vernon has been a household 3A name since the late 80's with tons of really good football players. Anyone remember Derrick Richardson? Wonder what he is doing now?

NateDawg39
02-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
anyone know where this genius went to school? Vernon has been a household 3A name since the late 80's with tons of really good football players. Anyone remember Derrick Richardson? Wonder what he is doing now? Derrick? I dont know him

3afan
02-12-2006, 08:14 PM
anyone know where this genius went to school? ............

what makes you think he went to school?

HighSchool Fan
02-12-2006, 08:24 PM
anyone know where this genius went to school?

probably somewhere north of the red river.

Pmoney
02-12-2006, 08:28 PM
hey Chief, you have never answered my question...what are you a chief of?....imo you are the chief of idiots

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Looks to be a decent schedule.

Chief Ohera
02-12-2006, 11:44 PM
i am the chief of gambling, since you wont' be any good at it, and what makes you brothers think that i went to school, specifically north of the red river, you fella's wont' ever know, so don't even try,
ya i have heard of vernon but they haven't been making any noise in any sports the last couple of years, yes they were good back in the day, but this is present and their athletic program hasn't pleased me at all, although they have a good tennis program,
anyways my brothers, nice to hear from ya'll,
so until next time...................
your buddy the chief,

BreckTxLonghorn
02-13-2006, 12:45 AM
It's sad the Breckenridge game won't have more implication. The past two years it's determined whether the Bucks made playoffs or won district. Coincidentally, I believe it was the Bucks' first wins against Vernon in over 30 years. Should still be a great game to watch.

District303aPastPlayer
02-13-2006, 04:51 AM
where exactly is Vernon at?

and btw... Cheif... what has OU done for us this year?

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
where exactly is Vernon at?

and btw... Cheif... what has OU done for us this year?

vernon is about 75 or so miles nw of wichita falls.

vet93
02-13-2006, 09:51 AM
I care......good schedule for the Lions! Are they going to scrimmage Ballinger this year?

3afan
02-13-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
vernon is about 75 or so miles nw of wichita falls.

HSF - why is the pirate so p'd off ?!?!?!

HighSchool Fan
02-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
HSF - why is the pirate so p'd off ?!?!?!

cause he lost 9 games last year

CenTexSports
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Back in 1972 Vernon had a running back who was the toughest I ever played against. I believe he was the state 3a shot put champion and he was a state finalest in the 100 yard dash. As an opossing linebacker, I can honestly say that I was never hit harder by any player.

Does anyone remember his name?

3afan
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
that'll do it ...

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Back in 1972 Vernon had a running back who was the toughest I ever played against. I believe he was the state 3a shot put champion and he was a state finalest in the 100 yard dash. As an opossing linebacker, I can honestly say that I was never hit harder by any player.

Does anyone remember his name?

You are going back sometime now. In 1972 I'll have to ask around some of the oldtimers at the coffee shop. Give me a couple of days and I'll see what I come up with.

VWG
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
One of the best players ever to put on a Lions uniform was James Dixon. Used to be a special teams player for the Dallas Cowboys.

Macarthur
02-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by VWG
One of the best players ever to put on a Lions uniform was James Dixon. Used to be a special teams player for the Dallas Cowboys.

I remember seeing Dixon play. IP and Vernon had some big-time battles in the 80's. The game I remember with Dixon was in IP and IP won 5-0. Dixon made a mistake on a kickoff and tried to down it, but had come out, which resulted in a safety. There was also a 3-0 game in IP sometime around there, as well. David Baugh & Leo Brittan used to have some great games.

VWG
02-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't know if we're talking about the same guy or not.
This guy played during the Britain era, but Vernon was killing people when he played. Think his senior football season might have been 1984??
The only reason I say this is because if IP would have shut that Vernon offense down during Dixon's time, it would have been a heck of a defense.

vet93
02-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Played against Dixon his senior year in 1984. He was the difference maker on that team. They elimated us 24 to 7 my senior year in the area round at Shotwell. He had 3 long runs in the first half. The rest of the game was pretty much even. They had some great guys on that team other than Dixon (Graff, Elliot, Boyce). They gave Daingerfield a run for their money in the semifinals before losing 14-7 in a classic battle. The whooped up on quite a few teams back then, but really didn't hit their potential until the playoffs.

Originally posted by VWG
This guy played during the Britain era, but Vernon was killing people when he played. Think his senior football season might have been 1984??
The only reason I say this is because if IP would have shut that Vernon offense down during Dixon's time, it would have been a heck of a defense.

GreenMonster
02-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by VWG

I think that game was in 1984 in IP. Although, I remember that score to have been 5 - 3. Field was a mess. There had been a couple of inches of rain that week and Coach Baugh had the pumps turned off on the water removal system making the field a total mess. I wouldn't put it past Coach Baugh to have even had the sprinklers turned on to add to the muck. I'm positive that MacArthur is right that Dixon was a part of that game. I believe it was one of the seasons that the Lions got beat in the Semi's by Daingerfield. Seems like Springtown was in that District as well and a very good football teams stayed home a couple of years in a row.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2006, 07:56 PM
You guys are right about Dixon. And the Lions made the semifinals both 84 and 85. I'm not sure if Dixon was on both teams or the 84 team only. But Vet was right, those teams were loaded with Elliott, Boyce, and Graff those were all great players. I'm sure Vet had to let his wife know when he saw Dixon on TV playing for the Cowboys, "Hey I played against that guy!" On that note, "I played against Tommy Maddox when he was at L.D. Bell" Ok got that out~

The Lions then went to state in 89 and lost by 1 and then won it all in 1990. Took them another 13 years to get back to the semi finals which they did in 2003. (I think we were a QB away from beating Atlanta--I have watched the film of that game 50 times).

The Lions have a very prestigious program for having only won 1 state title. The local paper had a breakdown of all time series against our most common opponents and Vernon dominated all of them (Graham, Breckenridge, Altus, Iowa Park, Burkburnett, Decatur, Bowie, and Childress). Not sure about Old High they didn't have that one in the paper and the Coyotes may hold an advantage on us in that series. But as far as Tradition goes the Lions are a first class football team no matter what Chief of Idiots says!

We all miss Leo though.

VWG
02-13-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
You guys are right about Dixon. And the Lions made the semifinals both 84 and 85. I'm not sure if Dixon was on both teams or the 84 team only. But Vet was right, those teams were loaded with Elliott, Boyce, and Graff those were all great players. I'm sure Vet had to let his wife know when he saw Dixon on TV playing for the Cowboys, "Hey I played against that guy!" On that note, "I played against Tommy Maddox when he was at L.D. Bell" Ok got that out~

The Lions then went to state in 89 and lost by 1 and then won it all in 1990. Took them another 13 years to get back to the semi finals which they did in 2003. (I think we were a QB away from beating Atlanta--I have watched the film of that game 50 times).

The Lions have a very prestigious program for having only won 1 state title. The local paper had a breakdown of all time series against our most common opponents and Vernon dominated all of them (Graham, Breckenridge, Altus, Iowa Park, Burkburnett, Decatur, Bowie, and Childress). Not sure about Old High they didn't have that one in the paper and the Coyotes may hold an advantage on us in that series. But as far as Tradition goes the Lions are a first class football team no matter what Chief of Idiots says!

We all miss Leo though.

Yeah, no offense but whenever I hear somebody whining about the Vernon Lions not beating some of those teams mentioned, etc... I just kinda laugh because I remember back in the day when Leo Britain used to RULE Region I 3A football.
The Lions dominated.... for about 20 years starting from about the late 70's.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-13-2006, 11:51 PM
You busted me up for whining a couple of years ago when Graham beat us for the 4th time in a row.

I still remember.

lioncountry
02-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Many people don't give Keith Hall a chance. I played for him my junior and senior year. When we had our deep playoff run my junior year he is one for those speeches that are forver in your mind. My senior year when Vernon didn't even make the play offs was not his fault. Many people will say it was, but being in the locker room and on the field if anyone happened to watch any of the 2004 season you will see the same plays called on certain downs that we ran the 2003 season. Not only that other teams had 15 films to look at and get to know what we ran on certain downs. So don't always blame a head coach it is sometimes to offensive coordinator.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by lioncountry
Many people don't give Keith Hall a chance. I played for him my junior and senior year. When we had our deep playoff run my junior year he is one for those speeches that are forver in your mind. My senior year when Vernon didn't even make the play offs was not his fault. Many people will say it was, but being in the locker room and on the field if anyone happened to watch any of the 2004 season you will see the same plays called on certain downs that we ran the 2003 season. Not only that other teams had 15 films to look at and get to know what we ran on certain downs. So don't always blame a head coach it is sometimes to offensive coordinator.

No one is blaming anyone. Just reminiscing about the good ol’ days with Leo.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by lioncountry

I may be biased but the difference between the 2003 and 2004 team was the collective play of the seniors from the 03 team.