PDA

View Full Version : Monster Districts

15portsfan
02-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I am glad to see the UIL finally put some of the big 3a teams in the same district. Now it will be interesting to see these teams have to play tough games every friday night with the possibility of not making the playoffs looking them right in the eye. The UIL has always made sure that every district has had 2 to 3 teams guarenteed the playoffs due to weaker teams in the district that really had no chance of competing unless by chance a miracle happened or an injury that caused the better team to lose. Now I know that you all are going to say that the weaker teams that make the playoffs now will exit early and didnt deserve to be there but as you also always post,at least these teams made the playoffs and as some of you believe, thats all that really matters because in this day of high school football, thats the standard by which schools are rated as a good or bad team. It must be tough to be a heavyweight in a heavyweight division instead of a middleweight division. Well now you all can learn first hand what the smaller 3a schools already know, its a ***** to have to play a playoff caliber team every friday night thru out district play.I for one am going to enjoy the whining and crying that is fixing to take place when one of the teams that always makes the playoffs gets the privilage of having thier butts handed to them on a silver plate and watch the playoffs from the stands. As for the smaller teams that now stand a chance to make the playoffs, JUSTICE is sweet and enjoy cause it wont last long when the powers to be start the politics and money comes into play, the UIL will change it back.

watch the language...lhpm

3afan
02-12-2006, 10:20 AM
you are way off base ... the districts are aligned by GEOGRAPHY, not by who happens to be good at football at the time. yes, its hard for the smaller 3A schools, but there is no easy solution. and i just have to laugh when i hear that $ plays a role in the alignment process ...

Tiger90
02-12-2006, 12:50 PM
I just wanna say enjoy your week 1 "playoff" game. Obviously by making the playoffs in a weak district you are better than some team who battles week in and week out in a "tougher"district. Since your team couldn't make it through a tough district I'm sure you will be a solid opponent and go far in the playoffs.:rolleyes:

Bullaholic
02-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I agree with 3AFan. I don't think the UIL considers playoff histories as a factor in the re-alignment of districts. It is very obvious, especially if you will look at a Texas state map, that geographical proximity to cut down travel time was the paramount factor in the current re-alignment. It has been debated many times---schools with larger enrollments do have some possible advantages in coming up with larger numbers of better athletes. If a smaller school sets athletic excellence as a priority and follows time-proven procedures in securing coaches, budget, and fan support, and has some "luck" by having better athletes in some years---success will happen in their program. If this were not true, there would never be small school programs like Celina. Any school--regardless of size--can achieve athletic success occasionally if the comittment is made over time from top to bottom in the program.

15portsfan
02-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Yes I agree that geography plays a role in the decision thats why the UIL had Coldspring driving 2 hours to Kirbyville and vice versa seems the way they have it now would have worked 2 years ago.And money does play a part, the bigger the school in the playoffs the more fans, the more fans the more money, the more money the more for the UIL since they get a cut. I hope you are not one that also believes that politicians live by the rules they stuff down our throats every day.

bulldogbark
02-12-2006, 01:57 PM
Just as 3a teams in East Tx had to travel to Coldspring and sheppard...East Tx team have to travel as I am sure others due to be able to play other 3a teams,, thats why before the monster district of 3a schools here in East Tx teams were schedualing 4a schools and 5a schools for their pre-district and became the better team for it I for one wouldnt want to see Jasper play in a week 3a district and end up district champs every year......because think how far you would get in the playoffs...not far at all...so play your small schools and watch us for the playoffs:D

Crimestick
02-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Yeah, by putting more large schools in a single district, it might make it easier for smaller schools to make the playoffs, but it also throws a ton of large-enrollment schools into the DII bracket come playoff time. If your goal is to just avoid "big" teams and simply make the playoffs, then congratulations. However, I thought the idea was to keep the enrollments a little more balanced in having two divisions. The way things are, it's possible for the DI champ to be smaller than the DII champ.
That being said, I realize that it's all about geography. Still...

loboes86
02-12-2006, 03:09 PM
I agree play-off history wasn't considered in realignment. Geography didn't seem to play a role either. 4 of the schools in the new district for Monahans are averaging 241 miles one way.:eek:

Bullaholic
02-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
I agree play-off history wasn't considered in realignment. Geography didn't seem to play a role either. 4 of the schools in the new district for Monahans are averaging 241 miles one way.:eek:

I agree loboes86---that district has a lot of ground to cover for almost every game. But what can you do---you know that when you get out past Odessa there are just a lot of miles between gas stations. Best of luck to the Loboes in that new district---you guys have an excelent program. It's going to be fun to hear from RangerMom as she travels to a couple of the Greenwood "away" games---her trip stories are always the "best".

Tiger90
02-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 15portsfan
Yes I agree that geography plays a role in the decision thats why the UIL had Coldspring driving 2 hours to Kirbyville and vice versa seems the way they have it now would have worked 2 years ago.And money does play a part, the bigger the school in the playoffs the more fans, the more fans the more money, the more money the more for the UIL since they get a cut. I hope you are not one that also believes that politicians live by the rules they stuff down our throats every day.

So are you from Coldspring? If you are the problem with your school isn't size or even talent, it is discipline. Coldspring has some athletes....scary physical athletes. They have good size and speed. The problem I witnessed was fundamental discipline which has to start at the coaching level. I witnessed countless false starts and fumbles when Silsbee played Coldspring. You cut those out and they are in nearly every game. Don't blame politics, school sizes, etc........blame the staff for not gettting those kids ready.

3afan
02-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90
I just wanna say enjoy your week 1 "playoff" game. Obviously by making the playoffs in a weak district you are better than some team who battles week in and week out in a "tougher"district. Since your team couldn't make it through a tough district I'm sure you will be a solid opponent and go far in the playoffs.:rolleyes:

obviously some teams make the playoffs that are not as good as some that do not .... but offer a solution! how can a fair playoff system work? put everyone in the playoffs? and as has been discussed here many many times, simply having a 'big' school does not mean football success.

so, what is better than is in place now?

15portsfan
02-12-2006, 05:05 PM
What your saying makes sense but it appears to me that you believe that the way it was is ok putting a couple of big schools in a district and all but giving them a spot in the playoffs because the rest of the district are weaker or smaller schools.Jasper,Silsbee- Barbers Hill,Huffman- WOS,Bridge City-These teams have had cake walks to the playoffs every year because they were in weaker districts with smaller schools, now they get the oppurtunity to play teams of equal talent for the right to go to the playoffs.As for my suggestions on how to fix the problem- I think there should be a 6a or even a 7a if needed to bring the numbers closer together and eliminate 500 count schools from playing 900 count schools,any way you look at it,that school is almost twice as big and it is the same if not worse as you look at the 4a and 5a schools.There is no need for this size difference other than the UIL not wanting to make a 6a or 7a.Other states have it and it appears to work there.

NateDawg39
02-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by 15portsfan
What your saying makes sense but it appears to me that you believe that the way it was is ok putting a couple of big schools in a district and all but giving them a spot in the playoffs because the rest of the district are weaker or smaller schools.Jasper,Silsbee- Barbers Hill,Huffman- WOS,Bridge City-These teams have had cake walks to the playoffs every year because they were in weaker districts with smaller schools, now they get the oppurtunity to play teams of equal talent for the right to go to the playoffs.As for my suggestions on how to fix the problem- I think there should be a 6a or even a 7a if needed to bring the numbers closer together and eliminate 500 count schools from playing 900 count schools,any way you look at it,that school is almost twice as big and it is the same if not worse as you look at the 4a and 5a schools.There is no need for this size difference other than the UIL not wanting to make a 6a or 7a.Other states have it and it appears to work there. I agree on some of whats was stated but I kinda like our system we have in Texas. Of course having a 6A-and up class is going to happen within the next few years but so far I believe the system is ok.

bulldogbark
02-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Jasper,Silsbee- Barbers Hill,Huffman- WOS,Bridge City

take a look at these teams again at least 3 teams in their seperate disticts could have won the top spot but heck now a days with three or four schools making the playoffs you dont have to be all that good...so what does a team do to seperate itself from the others....its called pre-district. if your coach wants a great win loss number heck schedual weak teams thru out...want to go far in playoffs scheduale tough and challenging teams and work hard,,,,nothen in Texas football is going to be handed to you:D

j_dog
02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
How amusing it is that you throw Jasper in as a team that has had a sure, easy route to the playoffs. For forty-two years Jasper was most years a "small" 4a school, but that fact did not stop them from being in the playoffs almost every year from the early 80's on, even in those years when only two teams advanced. Jasper had success because they got with it and prepared to play on that level. Now they have had four years playing schools more their own size and somehow it now seems "unfair" ??? Jasper once again will not even be the largest school in its district.

The same and more can be said for little Newton. They never cried about their fate, they just prepared and played their hearts out. And they would schedule ANYBODY with the guts to line up across from them.

Back to Jasper, and those "big" schools in their district, this is the best break they could have had. It makes you a better team to face tough competition week after week. And once three of those teams make the playoffs, one of them will not have to face those teams in the playoffs, and two of them will not have to face each other again that year unless they both make the QF's. Frankly, it is an advantage to those teams. Likewise, it will be an advantage to all the other teams in very tough districts to be coming out of a tough district. Yes, let the crying and whining start. :) It will probably be the same folks doing the crying and whining as in the past.