PDA

View Full Version : Bellville Softball #2 in state poll!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-10-2006, 11:58 PM
Bellville girls looking good having played 3 games against 5a opponents. Bellville is setting #2 in the polls, and neighboring La Grange is #1. I havent seen them play yet but was told this info from a parent of a player. Bellville is 3-0.

RdaleBoi08
02-11-2006, 12:22 AM
And Rockdale Is Ranked #3...Should Be Interesting With 2 Teams In The Same District Ranked And Bellville in District 20!..Could Be Interesting Playoffs

Old Tiger
02-11-2006, 01:07 AM
What state poll are yall looking at?

KL3
02-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Actually, Rockdale is ranked #5. Here is the Texas Girls Association Poll.

Poll (http://www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.cfm)

Rainman
02-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Barbers Hill will be tough again

18handicap
02-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I don't think anyone has played any games yet, just scrimmages.
LG has also played up in scrimmages and tied #2 team in San Antonio area 0-0, lost to Bellaire 0-1, and beat 3 other 5A teams. But scrimmages don't count on the record and with the Brenham Tournament looming......both teams have their work cut out for them.

Bellville's pool at Brenham:
Haltom
Round Rock McNeil
Burnet
Burleson
Abilene
El Campo

La Grange's pool at Brenham:
Pearland
Angleton
San Marcos
Vista Ridge
Belton
SA Marshall

Great competition for both teams!!!!

3afan
02-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Bellville girls looking good having played 3 games against 5a opponents. Bellville is setting #2 in the polls, and neighboring La Grange is #1. I havent seen them play yet but was told this info from a parent of a player. Bellville is 3-0.

BTW they are just scrimmages .....

nexfan
02-11-2006, 03:47 PM
I must admit I'm not a big follower of girls softball but West Columbia returnes 8 starters and probably 4-6 more lettermen (they only had one senior on the team) from a state championship team that only lost 3 games last year? How are they not in the top 10....makes you wonder about preseason polls and their accuracy.

18handicap
02-11-2006, 03:49 PM
I thought they should have been up there also. Somebody down there didn't get the information out to the pollster. Sometimes you have to let the pollsters know what you have so they can watch your progress during the season.

Iknowalot
02-11-2006, 03:53 PM
I have to laugh at 18 a little bit. He had a "part" or maybe a "relationship" to all 3 schools that beat WC last year. WC lost to Baytown Sterling and he was one of the 2 finalists for the job before he decided to take the La Grange job which was another loss for WC. The 3rd loss was to Sweeny where he was the coach.

Oh, by the way, the Needville people will add that the Lady Jays also beat the Lady Necks and 18's parents are from there and he owns a farm there. So he has a part of 4.....

Just joking about this, but it is sorta funny.

big daddy russ
02-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Wade Wilson up in Brenham may be the most well-respected coach in the state. Kept that program at #1 even after graduating everyone.

Great guy. Knew him from his days in Sinton. Has to be one of the most stand-up guys in the business.

3afan
02-11-2006, 04:28 PM

3afan
02-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by KL3
Actually, Rockdale is ranked #5. Here is the Texas Girls Association Poll.

Poll (http://www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.cfm)

FYI, its the COACHES poll ...... so take it for what it worth

its probably better described as a list of 10 of the best teams in the state in each class

HighSchool Fan
02-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
its probably better described as a list of 10 of the best teams in the state in each class

or the best teams they've heard about. collinsville went to the regional semi-finals last year with no seniors. they return the whole team. they have a pitcher that pitched 4 consecutive no-hitters and another pitcher pitched 1.

etbu
02-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Huffman will be heard from this year BIG TIME. Have the best catcher in the state. :D

3afan
02-11-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
or the best teams they've heard about. ....

yeah thats better

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Bellville had a very good team before the #1 pitcher from Colorado moved to Bellville. This will make the team even better.
This move-in was tabed as the best pitcher in the state of colorado in all classifacations for 2 years.

3afan
02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
nice break .............

18handicap
02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Coaches Poll???

I wish I could vote on it.

3afan
02-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Coaches Poll???

I wish I could vote on it.

how would you vote?

3afan
02-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Wade Wilson up in Brenham may be the most well-respected coach in the state. Kept that program at #1 even after graduating everyone.

Great guy. Knew him from his days in Sinton. Has to be one of the most stand-up guys in the business.

i called one of Brenham's games last year in the Allen Tourny - against ... I forget .... the coach was a nice guy - he wore shorts when everyone else was bundled up! :crazy:

3&2count
02-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Have no idea.

Bull's-eye
02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Good luck to the Bellville girls softball team! With the Bellville girls winning the 3A volley ball championship and now having a team challenging for the softball crown, could be a very special year in Bellville. :clap:

18handicap
02-12-2006, 10:44 PM
The pollster is Butch Hart of the Austin American-Statesman. If you go to the TGCA website, it gives his e-mail address.

How would I vote??? I haven't thought enough about it to give an informed vote. I know I like playing the role of underdog, so that should give you a little hint. LOL

neck_06
02-13-2006, 08:56 AM
where is West Columbia?

they were only the youngest team EVER to compete in the state tourney, and they only graduated one..................hmmm....

:thinking: :confused: :thinking: :confused:

Old Tiger
02-13-2006, 10:08 AM
They're stuck behind Region III

hookandladder
02-13-2006, 10:09 AM
I would think WC should make it to State from Region 4, Region 3 will be a dog fight. I think I will go with Rockdale to make it to State with Bellville and La Grange a possiblity also. But no one will beat Vann this year in the State Tournament.

softball_mom
02-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Van was a solid team last year! I'm sure we will see them back at the State Tourny.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Bellville girls play tonight, anyone know who and were?

BTEXDAD
02-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Bellville girls play tonight, anyone know who and were?

Bellville Girls played Woodlands College Park. Won 5-0.

BTEXDAD
02-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Just to comment on the TGCA softball poll. It's a PRESEASON poll.
If you notice, all five of the state champions from last year have started out as the preseason number one in their classifications for this year. Gives them a little extra respect for what they accomplished last year, but doesn't necessarily mean they are odds on favorite to win again. There's not enough information out there right now to get an accurate poll.
And what is accurate anyway? La Grange wasn't even ranked at end of regular season. You have to have a good team to win it all, but you also have to be playing your best ball in playoffs which is what they did.
Polls are excellent for sports talk shows and forums like downlow, but winner will be determined on field.

Now my take on upcoming softball season. I would have been disappointed if Bellville not in top ten, but I was surprised at the number 2 ranking. However, we do have 8 starters back, plus the new girl from Colorado, along with a very strong freshman group which will probably put one or two girls on varsity.
In La Grange district, they lost four seniors who started and will be tough to replace, but there are still some excellent players there including both pitchers. Rockdale was young last year and will be strong again. Caldwell will have drop off with their pitcher gone. Giddings is young and talented though.
I don't know anything about Van except what I heard from La Grange people. I understand they are easily the class of that Region.
If I remember right, Barbers Hill had all, or almost all, underclassmen starting last year. Bridge City is always tough. Splendora graduated a few girls, but always strong also.
I had heard lots of good things about West Columbia and I know they have just about everybody back also, including pitcher. They should be tough in Region 4. Their district was really strong last year, but there may be a little drop off this time around. Needville lost some quality seniors and Bellville beat wharton 9-1 in scrimmage last weekend. I understand Wharton was missing
girl(s?) because of basketball, but Bellville was also missing two senior starters due to ACT testing.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-15-2006, 08:57 PM
The Girls beat 5a Woodlands 5-0 last night. They play Burnett in the 1st round of the Brenham tourney at noon, FEB, 16.
Good luck Bellville!!!!!

hookandladder
02-16-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Just to comment on the TGCA softball poll. It's a PRESEASON poll.
If you notice, all five of the state champions from last year have started out as the preseason number one in their classifications for this year. Gives them a little extra respect for what they accomplished last year, but doesn't necessarily mean they are odds on favorite to win again. There's not enough information out there right now to get an accurate poll.
And what is accurate anyway? La Grange wasn't even ranked at end of regular season. You have to have a good team to win it all, but you also have to be playing your best ball in playoffs which is what they did.
Polls are excellent for sports talk shows and forums like downlow, but winner will be determined on field.

Now my take on upcoming softball season. I would have been disappointed if Bellville not in top ten, but I was surprised at the number 2 ranking. However, we do have 8 starters back, plus the new girl from Colorado, along with a very strong freshman group which will probably put one or two girls on varsity.
In La Grange district, they lost four seniors who started and will be tough to replace, but there are still some excellent players there including both pitchers. Rockdale was young last year and will be strong again. Caldwell will have drop off with their pitcher gone. Giddings is young and talented though.
I don't know anything about Van except what I heard from La Grange people. I understand they are easily the class of that Region.
If I remember right, Barbers Hill had all, or almost all, underclassmen starting last year. Bridge City is always tough. Splendora graduated a few girls, but always strong also.
I had heard lots of good things about West Columbia and I know they have just about everybody back also, including pitcher. They should be tough in Region 4. Their district was really strong last year, but there may be a little drop off this time around. Needville lost some quality seniors and Bellville beat wharton 9-1 in scrimmage last weekend. I understand Wharton was missing
girl(s?) because of basketball, but Bellville was also missing two senior starters due to ACT testing.

Good Post, that's what I like about Bellville fans. Very knowledgeable and accurate post. I feel Region 3 comes down to Rockdale,Bellville and La Grange. I feel the same way about LG, the 4 seniors on the team last year not only stepped up in the playoffs. They also were the Leaders of the team, no matter how talented you are as a team you still must have leadership.I feel with Bellville and Rockdale you have those quailities, so I would have to flip a coin on which one makes it to state. Just my opinion, means nothing. Van pitcher is the real deal, 67,68 mph fast ball, with pinpoint control. She will be tough to beat.Remember LG beat her last but never touched the plate, due to obstruction of 3rd baseball.

3afan
02-16-2006, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
...LG beat her last but never touched the plate, due to obstruction of 3rd baseball.

what?

hookandladder
02-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
what?

Obstruction was ruled against the 3rd baseman, runner never reached home plate. Third base umpire ruled obstruction run counted. It was the right call,granted a hard one for Vann but the right call.

3afan
02-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Obstruction was ruled against the 3rd baseman, runner never reached home plate. Third base umpire ruled obstruction run counted. It was the right call,granted a hard one for Vann but the right call.

oh, I see .... OBS is really a simple rule, many (most?) fans and many coaches don't understand it - same for interference.

by the way, its 'Van', not 'Vann' :thumbsup:

BTEXDAD
02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
For anyone interested, the Leadoff classic softball tournament got underway this morn in Brenham.
Brenham lost 3-2 to Waltrip. With score at 3-2, Brenham had bases loaded with one out in bottom of last inning and batter hit back to pitcher. Threw home for one out and throw to first ended game with double play. Brenham next plays Rockwall at ten (10:00) tonite.

Bellville beat Burnett 9-0. Play Burleson at 8 tonite.

Waller and Santa Fe in extra innings.

La Grange plays their first game at 6 tonite against Pearland. Then plays Vista Ridge (round rock?) at 8:00

29 teams in 4 brackets using five different fields. You only play against teams in your bracket, but will be lots of good softball.
I'm about to slip out of the office for rest of day and watch softball.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Bellville beats 2 4a schools and loses 2 to very good 5a schools.
Bellville will play 5a Bryan on Monday, in Bryan.

Iknowalot
02-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Are you sure that Bellville is playing Bryan's varsity??

According to the Bryan ISD website, Bellville is playing Bryan's JV Blue at 5:00 and Bryan's JV Silver at 6:30. Bryan has so many kids that they have at least 3 JV teams.

BTEXDAD
02-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Iknowalot
Are you sure that Bellville is playing Bryan's varsity??

According to the Bryan ISD website, Bellville is playing Bryan's JV Blue at 5:00 and Bryan's JV Silver at 6:30. Bryan has so many kids that they have at least 3 JV teams.

I think you may be right, I knowa lot. I haven't asked our coach, but I think we may indeed be playing a jv team.
Our coach was very upset with Bryan after our scrimmage on Feb 6th.
It was to be a JV and varsity scrimmage according to our coach's understanding. Well Bryan sent ONE (1) team to play a double header. To give you an idea of the kind of team they sent, the Bellville JV beat them 7-1 and our varsity beat them 11-0.

Parents were talking over this past weekend about fact that since game is on Monday and usual varsity games are tues and fridays what team will Bellville be playing.
Believe me, we did not purposely schedule game with Bryan JV, but apparently there was a miscommunication between coaches or a total lack of respect of Bellville program by Bryan.

3afan
02-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
... or a total lack of respect of Bellville program by Bryan.

Bryan has one of Texas' top programs, I'd bet if anything there was a miscommunication

Iknowalot
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM
Believe me, Bryan will not play a 3A school with their varsity. I don't care how good the 3A team is, they won't do it. Elkins won't either. They have too much to lose by playing a 3A school and nothing to gain. It's just like Bellville and LaGrange both playing Burton, both have a lot to lose and not much to gain. If they beat them 10-0 (or 10-1 like LG did), then you accomplished what you needed to do. But if it would have been 1-0, then I would be worried. I know that 18 was worried about LG's game with Burton all week because of that fact.

3afan
02-19-2006, 04:21 PM
Believe me, Bryan will not play a 3A school with their varsity. I don't care how good the 3A team is, they won't do it.

thats what i meant - why should they? :thumbsup:

BTW I did a Bryan game in the Allen tourney last season - they had a real hot-head 1st base coach who had to be warned to watch his language (by me) .....but they WERE good!

hookandladder
02-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Believe me, Bryan will not play a 3A school with their varsity. I don't care how good the 3A team is, they won't do it. Elkins won't either. They have too much to lose by playing a 3A school and nothing to gain. It's just like Bellville and LaGrange both playing Burton, both have a lot to lose and not much to gain. If they beat them 10-0 (or 10-1 like LG did), then you accomplished what you needed to do. But if it would have been 1-0, then I would be worried. I know that 18 was worried about LG's game with Burton all week because of that fact.

That's crazy, just what do you stand to lose. If you lose, maybe your team needs a wakeup call. If your that worried about a certain team, then you need to prepared your team better. The only thing you stand to lose at this point in the season is your ranking. Which LG proved last year means nothing. Coach to win, don't coach not to lose.By beating Burton 10-1, I cannot see where you accomplished anything other than a win. Tight games that you win or lose will accomplish more than a blowout.These games will prepare for the playoffs.

18handicap
02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't know what Iknowalot meant about me being worried about the first game -- I worry about EVERY game. We are coaching 14-18 year old kids, and I worry about what we're going to do every day. We're playing to win as far as I'm concerned and I'm not going to back down from anyone. Iknowalot was correct about Bryan and Elkins and teams like that in AAAAA staying away from teams like us, Bellville, Splendora, Rockdale, etc. I have asked those teams to play and that is the answer that I get. Me, I don't care who we play -- we needed a game and Burton was the first to call, and the Burton coach and I work the A&M camp together and are good friends. He wanted to see where they stood against teams like us and I wanted to see us excute in many different situations. We all got to see what we needed to see.

BTEXDAD
02-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
-- I worry about EVERY game. We are coaching 14-18 year old kids, and I worry about what we're going to do every day.

Hey, 18 handicap,
We had a guest speaker at a company meeting a couple years ago who had been a football referee of first high school games, then in small college and finally in SWC and Big 12. Retired now.
He said that the most dangerous jobs were still those like mining, commercial deep sea fishing, underwater welding, etc, but the TOUGHEST job around was being a high school coach. Your entire career depends on what 16-17 year olds do. That IS tough!
I've done coaching for a lot of youth sports, but fortunately I have another job to go to after games.

BTEXDAD
02-21-2006, 09:05 AM
by the way, our softball coach had advised Bryan we wouldn't be bringing varsity to Bryan on Monday if playing bryan JV. Fields were wet and no games played, so all worked out.
Bellville was able to schedule Richmond Foster tuesday (to)night.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-21-2006, 10:51 PM
The girls game was not played tonight because of the wet field.
Hey BTEX when is the next game???

RiverRatDad
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
Hey 18, we sure miss you Wednesday nights. I'm having to buy my own supper now. Wharton did well in the Marble Falls tourney, beating Austin Crockett twice and Pflugerville Hendrickson to win the tourney. The temp Saturday never got above freezing......I'm glad I missed it. Looks like our kids will make another run this year, just not sure we have anything for WC for the district crown. Good luck to you and the Leps.

BTEXDAD
02-22-2006, 09:41 AM
The girls game was not played tonight because of the wet field.
Hey BTEX when is the next game???

Giddings comes to Bellville Friday nite for softball and apparently giddings boys are in town for baseball.
Giddings girls had that group that went to world series in little league the other year. Not sure what age they are now. I assume they are in high school(?).

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Bellville over Giddings tonight 9-0!!! Game was moved up a day.
Giddings had a softball group that made it to the LL world series. Are these girls in high school yet????

18handicap
02-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Congrats to Bellville on the win. Someone might want to PM me and tell me what Giddings has. I'm still in the dark about some of the teams in our district. We beat El Campo 2-0 on Tuesday and play Hallettsville tonight.

I'll post if my computer lets me. It's been going a little bonko lately and I haven't even been able to update my website or the Texas Prep Softball website.

BTEXDAD
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Bellville over Giddings tonight 9-0!!! Game was moved up a day.
Giddings had a softball group that made it to the LL world series. Are these girls in high school yet????
My understanding is that group is now freshmen and sophomores. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
They are year or two away from being a very good high school team.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Hey Btex, what is the schedule for next week for the Bellville girls?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Bellville has been on a roll since losing there only 2 games in the Brenham tourny to 5a schools. Bellville has not been scored on since there last loss. Looks like the pitching is going to be very good!!!! I think they have won 12 in a row?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Hey Btexdad we need last weeks update? and this weeks games?

RMAC
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Where can I find a softball poll at?

3afan
03-13-2006, 10:50 PM
http://www.austintgca.com/sball/poll.cfm

RMAC
03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
thanks

BTEXDAD
03-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey Btexdad we need last weeks update? and this weeks games?

Sorry, I posted it on the softball scores for 3/10 thread. Bellville beat Rosenberg Terry 6-2 Friday nite. Terry scored 2 in top of seventh to end Bellville's 9 game shutout streak (approx 65 innings).
Emily S. pitched five shutout innings and then Brittany P. came in for 6th and 7th inning for her first pitching action this year. Brittany is 4th pitcher we've used this year. Terry got a couple good hits and scored two in seventh.

District starts Tonite (tuesday) with Columbus coming to Bellville. I can remember middle of district last year when they came in and beat us to end a 3 year long district winning streak. They ran around infield kissing the bases after game. Hopefully we can avoid that this time.

Friday night at Sealy

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-14-2006, 10:07 PM
No Base kissing tonight by Columbus, Bellville 8 Columbus 1.

Iknowalot
03-14-2006, 11:03 PM
When I was watching La Grange and Weimar play on Saturday, the Weimar people sure were talking about their game with Bellville earlier in the week. Something about the game becoming a brush back contest.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-14-2006, 11:06 PM
Dont know what you mean expain?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-14-2006, 11:12 PM
When I was watching La Grange and Weimar play on Saturday, the Weimar people sure were talking about their game with Bellville earlier in the week. Something about the game becoming a brush back contest.

You need to expain? Baseball or Softball?

Iknowalot
03-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Softball...........they said that Weimar pitcher threw some inside, so then Bellville did the same and nailed Weimar pitcher in the hand while she was batting.

BTEXDAD
03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
Softball...........they said that Weimar pitcher threw some inside, so then Bellville did the same and nailed Weimar pitcher in the hand while she was batting.

Yes, the weimar pitcher got hit in the hand. Did they mention she was swinging at the pitch when she did? She got really jammed on her swing and pitch hit her hand when she swung and hit foul ball. (hand is considered part of the bat)
They changed batters and also had to then change pitchers.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
03-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Bellville girls go to 2-0 in district with a win in Sealy tonight!!!

18handicap
03-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Send me the score of Sealy / Bellville to coachhicks@texasprepsoftball.net so I can post it.

Thanks!