PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Prefer?

Bullaholic
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
If you had the following choices, which one would be your choice for your team?:

1. Beating your longtime, fiercely competitive district rival during district play by a wide margin, winning the district title, but losing in the 2nd Round of the playoffs.

2. Losing the district game and title to your longtime district rival but going at least 3 deep in the playoffs.

( I pose this question because just such an actual set of events occurred between Bridgeport and Decatur this season. Bridgeport was scenario #2, while Decatur was scenario #1, Bridgeport lost to Decatur 66-34, although Bridgeport did actually end up sharing the District 7-3A title with Decatur, and I was wondering what fans of other teams would pick. BTW,I am not posting this to antagonize any of the Decatur folks---I just thought this to be an interesting question for fan reaction.)

GreenMonster
02-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
If you had the following choices, which one would be your choice for your team?:

1. Beating your longtime, fiercely competitive district rival during district play by a wide margin, winning the district title, but losing in the 1st Round of the playoffs.

2. Losing the district game and title to your longtime district rival but going at least 3 deep in the playoffs.

( I pose this question because just such an actual set of events occurred between Bridgeport and Decatur this season. Bridgeport was scenario #2, while Decatur was scenario #1, Bridgeport lost to Decatur 66-34, although Bridgeport did actually end up sharing the District 7-3A title with Decatur, and I was wondering what fans of other teams would pick. BTW,I am not posting this to antagonize any of the Decatur folks---I just thought this to be an interesting question for fan reaction.)

I like option #2 Bull. District rivalries are over blown in my opinion. I'll take November wins over October wins anytime.

3afan
02-10-2006, 03:05 PM
easy -- 2

Bullaholic
02-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I like option #2 Bull. District rivalries are over blown in my opinion. I'll take November wins over October wins anytime.

I understand, GM. I wonder what the Sweetwater and Snyder fans will say?

STANG RED
02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
The deeper the playoff run the better. We like November & December football. If Snyder can get there also, so much the better. Wins during the season (rival or not) are only a means to an end. Deep playoff runs are when it gets real fun.

mrescape43
02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I understand, GM. I wonder what the Sweetwater and Snyder fans will say?

Option #2.

Bullaholic
02-10-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
The deeper the playoff run the better. We like November & December football. If Snyder can get there also, so much the better. Wins during the season (rival or not) are only a means to an end. Deep playoff runs are when it gets real fun.

So you would rather Sweetwater lose by a bunch to Snyder in the (former) district game, and go deeper in the playoffs, rather than beat Snyder and exit the playoffs in round 2? Interesting---I thought you guys would rather "die" than to lose to Snyder.

UPanIN
02-10-2006, 03:20 PM
#2 please with a hotdog and coke

mrescape43
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
So you would rather Sweetwater lose by a bunch to Snyder in the (former) district game, and go deeper in the playoffs, rather than beat Snyder and exit the playoffs in round 1? Interesting---I thought you guys would rather "die" than to lose to Snyder.

This is one time I have to agree with Stang Red (Just don't tell anyone! JK). Playoff games are a lot of fun.

STANG RED
02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
So you would rather Sweetwater lose by a bunch to Snyder in the (former) district game, and go deeper in the playoffs, rather than beat Snyder and exit the playoffs in round 1? Interesting---I thought you guys would rather "die" than to lose to Snyder.

Today, my answer is definitely yes. Now if you were to ask me on game day, I'll admit, it might be a different answer.
I know this though. You can loose a district game to anybody, and yet still win state. But you cant win state if you get beat in the first round.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-10-2006, 03:26 PM

STANG RED
02-10-2006, 03:27 PM
We would rather die than loose to them in the playoffs, but the regular season is a little different story. The regular season is only good for an arm and leg at best, only the playoffs are actually worth a life. LOL

Cliff Hanger
02-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Decatur lost in the 2nd round not the first. When the eagles were beat by the Gainesville there was no question who was the best team.

On the other hand I think the bulls will spend the winter thinking about what if....

Another question comes to mind ... if a District rival hung 66 on your team, the bulls road through the play-off must have been a cake walk.

mrescape43
02-10-2006, 03:33 PM
In football playoffs, Snyder has never lost to Sweetwater. There have been 2 playoff battles. As bad as it is to lose to them during regular season, I can't imagine losing to them in the playoffs.

Bullaholic
02-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Cliff Hanger
Decatur lost in the 2nd round not the first. When the eagles were beat by the Gainesville there was no question who was the best team.

On the other hand I think the bulls will spend the winter thinking about what if....

Another question comes to mind ... if a District rival hung 66 on your team, the bulls road through the play-off must have been a cake walk.

My apologies to Decatur,you are correct, Cliff Hanger---I edited my original post to correct the error. Yes, the Bulls are doing a lot of "what if'ing", but know that the road in the playoffs was no "cakewalk", and I accept your last sentence as your opinion, but see no "logic" in it.

big daddy russ
02-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I guess I have to be the oddball in this one.

Don't know how it is nowadays, but up until about three or four years ago the answer for Ingleside was definitely beating AP. All through my HS years, that game was the one that everybody keyed on from the beginning of school. Not the Odem game (who was the big dog in district at the time), it was always AP.

My brother's senior year ('01-'02) it was especially heartbreaking, as that game kept them out of the playoffs. Ingleside lost by one point on a failed two-point conversion the last play of the game.

Just too much bad blood between the two teams. The schools are 4.2 miles apart, you grow up with the kids on the other side of the ball, and you're bred to hate Aransas Pass football from the moment you're put in your cradle. We used to have HUGE post-game fights out in pastures on the Friday nights following the fights earlier that night on the field. I think that died out in the late, late-90's or the early-00's, but I know it was still heated.

I don't know if the climate has changed in the past couple years... I haven't been around enough to know... but I'm sure APPantherFan knows. She used to be an Ingledink before switching to the dark side.

NateDawg39
02-10-2006, 04:54 PM
I would have a hard time picking this one...I want to watch my Eagles whip the Bulls every year but the playoffs are big to...Id go with #3...I created that one on my own whim and will.
Scenario 3 is stated as- You beat your long time rival in a blowout fashion, and run all the way to the State playoffs to destroy all opposition in the way and win the State Title:D :D :D

mrescape43
02-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
I would have a hard time picking this one...I want to watch my Eagles whip the Bulls every year but the playoffs are big to...Id go with #3...I created that one on my own whim and will.
Scenario 3 is stated as- You beat your long time rival in a blowout fashion, and run all the way to the State playoffs to destroy all opposition in the way and win the State Title:D :D :D

I would guess that your #3 would be a pretty darned popular choice.

NateDawg39
02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I would guess that your #3 would be a pretty darned popular choice. You would be surprised at the ammount of "hate mail" I will be recieving just by writing on this thread.

Bullaholic
02-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
You would be surprised at the ammount of "hate mail" I will be recieving just by writing on this thread.

You shouldn't, Nate. This thread was never intended as a Bridgeport/Decatur "bashing" thread, but rather a geniune inquiry of other Dlow posters as to their opinion of their preferences. I appreciate your contribution in that spirit.

NateDawg39
02-10-2006, 06:58 PM
You shouldn't, Nate. This thread was never intended as a Bridgeport/Decatur "bashing" thread, but rather a geniune inquiry of other Dlow posters as to their opinion of their preferences. I appreciate your contribution in that spirit. I can always count on Bullahollic to make me feel better:D but seriously I was just rambling on...tryin to hit 1000 by next week.

SWMustang
02-10-2006, 09:09 PM
I would take option 1. I don't ever want to lose to Snyder - or Monahans for that matter.

SWMustang
02-10-2006, 09:18 PM
That question is kind of similar to " Would you rather have a needle stuck in your eye or bamboo shoved under your fingernails?"

MHSvarsity2007
02-10-2006, 11:15 PM
eh. im not quite sure. i'd want the state title as long as it was a year i was in HS...other than that, play-offs every year is awesome for me

SWMustang
02-10-2006, 11:17 PM
Maybe now in 2A that will be a reality for Merkel...

MHSvarsity2007
02-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Maybe now in 2A that will be a reality for Merkel...

we are hoping so

SWMustang
02-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
we are hoping so

Is Merkel in a 3 team district?

STANG RED
02-10-2006, 11:41 PM

Ha Ha. Thats just not right. Go easy on them Merkelites, they been suckin hind tit for too long. Maybe its time for a turnaround.

MHSvarsity2007
02-10-2006, 11:42 PM

naw we are in 5-2A with
Anson (203)
Colorado City (300)
Hawley (237)
Haskell (196)
Merkel (409)
Stamford (197)
Stanton (225)
Coahoma (239)

needless to say, we are defintley bigger than everybody else

GetRDoneStangs
02-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Looks to be a very good district to me..

SWMustang
02-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Ha Ha. Thats just not right. Go easy on them Merkelites, they been suckin hind tit for too long. Maybe its time for a turnaround.

I'm just trying to be realistic. I actually admire the MHS gal. You can't accuse her of being a bandwagon fan. The losses teach you more about life in the long run. I really hope they turn things around. Now the Trent gorrillas can go to h###....

Old Tiger
02-11-2006, 01:14 AM

MHSvarsity2007
02-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm just trying to be realistic. I actually admire the MHS gal. You can't accuse her of being a bandwagon fan. The losses teach you more about life in the long run. I really hope they turn things around. Now the Trent gorrillas can go to h###....

:D :D :D

LHMom
02-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Back to the original question - for my kids, I would definitely rather lose to the "rival" and go deep in the playoffs, which is what has happened 4 years now with LH/Burnet. However, I recognize as a teenager, they want the win over that district rival very badly.