PDA

View Full Version : Terry Cron's exit from Commerce...

Gobbla2001
12-18-2003, 04:11 PM
Not trying to start trouble, but was wondering why?

Closer to family, looks like a nice program to start building up? Things not going well in Commerce?

Just wanted to know why, thought the guy might make his home there for life or thought if he did leave it'd be for a good 5A job or something...

Fill us in!

3afan
12-18-2003, 04:19 PM
cron took over a state cailber team in mart & won state - he took over a state caliber team in commerce & won state - we'll see how good a coach he is at timberview

necks
12-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Cron will be inheriting some good athletes at Timberview. Whe Mansfield divided the lines for the 3 high schools, Timberview got a lot of Summit's athletes that helped them go 9-2 this yr and win the district title. Timberview is probably going to open as a 4A school and should do very well right off the bat. Good luck Coach Cron. He's no dummy I promise ya.

wildstangs
12-18-2003, 11:19 PM
necks:
Cron will be inheriting some good athletes at Timberview. Whe Mansfield divided the lines for the 3 high schools, Timberview got a lot of Summit's athletes that helped them go 9-2 this yr and win the district title. Timberview is probably going to open as a 4A school and should do very well right off the bat. Good luck Coach Cron. He's no dummy I promise ya.I heard they would prolly open as a 3A. Isnt Summit a newer school as well? Mansfield must be growing very rapidly.

KTJ
12-18-2003, 11:30 PM
I thought Summitt was technically "Mansfield High School"--all they did was take MHS and changed the name to Summitt, and the 2 high school was Mansfield High. Didn't something crazy like that occur? That is what I thought I read in the DMN.

wildstangs:

necks:
Cron will be inheriting some good athletes at Timberview. Whe Mansfield divided the lines for the 3 high schools, Timberview got a lot of Summit's athletes that helped them go 9-2 this yr and win the district title. Timberview is probably going to open as a 4A school and should do very well right off the bat. Good luck Coach Cron. He's no dummy I promise ya.I heard they would prolly open as a 3A. Isnt Summit a newer school as well? Mansfield must be growing very rapidly.

necks
12-19-2003, 12:01 AM
Timbeview is due to open with an enrollment around 1900. Summit actually took over the old Mansfield High building and MHS built a new one in the southeast part of the district...MHS got the new building but lost most of the athletes. Timberview is off Hwy 360 and will be kids from eastern Mansfield, part of southeast Arlington and Southwest Grand Prairie...the school district is huge acreage wise. Mansfield city limits is about 40k now but is expected to reach 75-80k by 2010. The 4th high school will open fall 2007 and its expected a couple more high schools will be built later on.

KTJ
12-19-2003, 12:12 AM
Another Frisco in the making? Frisco is supposed to have like 10 high schools in the next 12 years. I knew Mansfield was growing but I didn't realize it was that fast.

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: KTJ ]</small>

andy_dufresne
12-19-2003, 09:33 AM
I admit I don't know the innerworkings of the Commerce program, but I know Cron leaving could be one of two things: 1. him wanting to start something from scratch and prove his merit OR 2. something went down in c-town, which would be nothing new.
Everything I've heard on the outer fringe indicates this is not a bad move for the Commerce program. I can almost guarantee they won't hire from within. As an alumn I want to see someone in there with the character that position affords, and Cron definitely provided that.
You're not dealing with the brightest lights in the hallway in Commerce. Yeah there's a pidgeon's chance that he wore out his welcome, but I don't think that's it.
I hate to say it b/c I like Cron, but this isn't necessarily a bad move IF the right coach can be brought in there. Lot of mess to deal with there sometimes.

kaorder1999
12-19-2003, 09:57 AM
andy_dufresne:
I admit I don't know the innerworkings of the Commerce program, but I know Cron leaving could be one of two things: 1. him wanting to start something from scratch and prove his merit OR 2. something went down in c-town, which would be nothing new.
Everything I've heard on the outer fringe indicates this is not a bad move for the Commerce program. I can almost guarantee they won't hire from within. As an alumn I want to see someone in there with the character that position affords, and Cron definitely provided that.
You're not dealing with the brightest lights in the hallway in Commerce. Yeah there's a pidgeon's chance that he wore out his welcome, but I don't think that's it.
I hate to say it b/c I like Cron, but this isn't necessarily a bad move IF the right coach can be brought in there. Lot of mess to deal with there sometimes.they s hould go outside for the new headcoach but everything ive heard says that they will hire from within!

Owen B
12-19-2003, 10:55 AM
andy_dufresne:
I admit I don't know the innerworkings of the Commerce program, but I know Cron leaving could be one of two things: 1. him wanting to start something from scratch and prove his merit OR 2. something went down in c-town, which would be nothing new.I probably know less than you, but there are at least two more possibilities. 3. Money. 4. A chance to do well, and possibly get another ring, in a 4th classification.

kaorder1999
12-19-2003, 12:03 PM
Owen B:

andy_dufresne:
I admit I don't know the innerworkings of the Commerce program, but I know Cron leaving could be one of two things: 1. him wanting to start something from scratch and prove his merit OR 2. something went down in c-town, which would be nothing new.I probably know less than you, but there are at least two more possibilities. 3. Money. 4. A chance to do well, and possibly get another ring, in a 4th classification.i agree...people have said the only reason he won the ring in 3A is because he inherited a gold mine...has his chance to start with a completely new program....if he wins one soon there will be no excuses...if he doesnt win...there will be a lot of people ready to say he never was that good...unfair though.

Quinlan ford fan
12-19-2003, 02:03 PM
I hear the current offensive coordinator Plez Atkins will be named new head coach today.good luck to Coach Cron and whoever the new coach is at Commerce he is going to need it.

one&gone
12-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Commerence will continue there winning ways if Plez Atkins gets the job. He knows how to win. Does he want the Job?

andy_dufresne
12-19-2003, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see them put out a further search. Commerce is in need of a bigger overhaul than handing the reigns to the offensive coord. who put up the whopping stats of the last couple years. Tigers could do much better. I doubt seriously it will be Atkins.

Owen B
12-19-2003, 03:50 PM
I doubt that they've settled on Atkins.

From Greenville Herald Banner article:

Boles [Commerce ISD Superintendent] said the Commerce ISD has already started the search for a successor and will be accepting applications for the position through Jan. 16. A search committee will oversee the hiring process.

"We will open up the process and find someone with the characteristics and qualifications we desire in a head football coach and athletic director," said Mary Hendrix, president of the Commerce ISD's Board of Education.http://www.heraldbanner.com/articles/2003/12/19/sports/local/sports01.txt

<small>[ December 19, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Owen B ]</small>