PDA

View Full Version : Best first round matchups

wildstangs
11-02-2003, 05:36 PM
Dont mean to jump the gun, but what are some of the best probable first round games. I say out in Region 1, Merkel VS. Greenwood is going to be a good one. Merkel might surprise some people and give Greenwood a tough game.

Gobbla2001
11-02-2003, 05:38 PM
Looks like Hallettsville and Rice Consolidated might hook it up round 1 in D2...

I think Rice may be able to score a lot on H'Ville, but H'Ville's passing game may keep the game 'Respectable'...

Maybe Cuero and Wharton in round 1 of D1... Could be a defensive battle...

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2003, 05:45 PM
How is district 26 panning out for D2, second seed? Or, will they be going down to the wire in week 10 for that to be decided?

Gilmer Buckeye
11-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Daingerfield versus Gilmer on Friday night, Nov. 14. Buckeyes out for revenge from last year's 36-23 loss.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-02-2003, 08:01 PM
There's the possibility of Port Isabel getting a rematch with Falfurrias in the first round. It's not definite, though, but it is a possibility.

jason
11-02-2003, 08:23 PM
Rematch from last year...Forney v. Wills Point

eaglefan
11-04-2003, 11:35 AM
If I have my scenarios right, the district 19 and 20 matchups are going to be good. Especially a possibility of Newton/Fairfield game. If Groesbeck and Fairfield both win they will both go D-II and G'beck will have the upperhand, leaving Fairfield to play Newton, although they beat Groesbeck 51-6 in the first game of district. But Fairfield, still a very formidable opponent vs Newton is a very intrieging first round possibility.

rholl
11-04-2003, 11:42 AM
Someone go over Lake Dallas for me...I hear a game with Everman is pretty much a sure thing????

repeat2002
11-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Lake Dallas is a whole lot better than last year (Not that that took a whole lot of doing)
They are being well coached for the first time in a long time, especially defensively - last year they didn't have a clue - they cover pass routes really well and are very sound in things they are doing - have continued to improve weekly
Offensively they have a good young QB - throws well but is not mobile at all - their running back plays really hard and runs well
Everman will handle them fairly easily but it won't 70-0 in the first half

Pudlugger
11-04-2003, 12:32 PM
If Sealy losses to Bellville and La Grange beats Hutto it will be a La Grange Sealy rematch. Sealy edged LG 24-20 in pre-district eartly on. If Bellville loses to Sealy (and Navasota beats Columbus)and La Grange wins against Hutto, it will be La Grange Bellville. Last time they met was 2001 when Bellville beat them 31-6 in one of the dirtiest games ever between these two rivals. In order to prevent a score the Bellville defender did a rodeo calf roping facemask tackle on Anderle and almost broke his neck. The very next play they did it again to our back-up Qb. I promise you if LG meets Bellville there will be some fired up players in Purple and Gold!

BrahmaMom
11-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Pud, I remember that first face mask, and I remember the lineman who did it in tears b/c I was filming and closed in on his face--it was not intentional. Later, his mother told me he felt so bad about it. I remember there being a second one real close to that but not the circumstances. Bellville does not play dirty football, they aren't coached that way. They are a very emotional team, especially that group of players. I miss playing LaGrange, so that would be a fun game. Good luck against Hutto.

Pudlugger
11-04-2003, 01:39 PM
BrahmaMom:
Pud, I remember that first face mask, and I remember the lineman who did it in tears b/c I was filming and closed in on his face--it was not intentional. Later, his mother told me he felt so bad about it. I remember there being a second one real close to that but not the circumstances. Bellville does not play dirty football, they aren't coached that way. They are a very emotional team, especially that group of players. I miss playing LaGrange, so that would be a fun game. Good luck against Hutto.That's good to know. Up until now no one from Bellville has expressed any sense of regret over the incident to me on this board. I was three seats away from Anderle's mom and the anxiety that woman went through while her son lay motionless on the ground for three minutes was excrutiating. I'm somewhat molified to hear that the player felt bad about it. The day before this game several Bellville JV players were ejected for slugging our guys so the tone of this game was very intense to say the least. I hope if LG and Bellville meet up we can have a clean injury free contest. Thanks for the post. :)

Wtx_coach
11-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Hey wildstand, im not trying to scare you in any way but there is a goos possibility you guys will be playing Greenwood right off the gate, i think its a good poosibility because I have seen both Stockton and Kermit and both are shaky at times so its anybodys ball game, if kermit does win, MONAHANS AND SNYDER should be a tough one in the 1st round!!!!

Rabbit'93
11-04-2003, 02:19 PM
in Reg II Gilmer v. Daingerfield is probably the best first rounder. IMHO :)

Reveille
11-04-2003, 02:23 PM
eaglefan:
If I have my scenarios right, the district 19 and 20 matchups are going to be good. Especially a possibility of Newton/Fairfield game. If Groesbeck and Fairfield both win they will both go D-II and G'beck will have the upperhand, leaving Fairfield to play Newton, although they beat Groesbeck 51-6 in the first game of district. But Fairfield, still a very formidable opponent vs Newton is a very intrieging first round possibility.If Groesbeck defeats Mexia, while Fairfield and Crockett win, Groesbeck goes D-1. If Mexia, Crockett, and Fairfield win, Mexia goes D-1 and Groesbeck stays home due to tie breakers, I think. Any of the other scenarios will make my head hurt.

<small>[ November 04, 2003, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: Reveille ]</small>

oneheartbeat
11-04-2003, 06:53 PM
who ever sweetwater will play will be a good game cause the mustangs are just awesome

BrahmaFan04
11-04-2003, 07:41 PM
I was in the JV Bellville vs. LaGrange game and we had 3 or 4 people kicked out of the game, not because we "slugged" anyone. In fact the La Grange players were playing a dirtier game than we were. Also the ref's were so biast it wasn't even funny.

Pudlugger
11-04-2003, 08:02 PM
BrahmaFan04:
I was in the JV Bellville vs. LaGrange game and we had 3 or 4 people kicked out of the game, not because we "slugged" anyone. In fact the La Grange players were playing a dirtier game than we were. Also the ref's were so biast it wasn't even funny.No, the Refs were trying to regain control because Bellville players were repeatedly pushing and swinging at our guys after the whistle. I was there and I saw it happen. Finally one of our bigger guys got angry after a player from Bellville forearmed him in the chin strap after the play and he hauled off and punched the kid. Two more Bellville guys got into it and they all got thrown out. Bellville drove the ball down and scored as LG only had about 14 players on their team and missed the big lineman. Bellville took the lead with that score late in the 4th by a couple of points. They kicked off deep to Cody Wilson of La Grange, who ran it back for the winning TD! It was poetic justice. The big lineman from La Grange had to do 3 miles after practice for getting involved. He starts now for the Leps and is having a great year. :)

VWG
11-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Gilmer and Daingerfield, now that's a good matchup.
Merkel and Greenwood.. From an outsider lookin' in you would think that Greenwood would definitely have the upper hand, but Merkel is a much improved team. Greenwood has been inconsistent, so it could be a toss up. Where will this game be played?

I think the game between Ballinger and either Iowa Park or Vernon will be a great ballgame. Iowa Park and Vernon are both tough teams and Ballinger will have to play strong to beat either one. Vernon likes to run, run, and then run some more out of their wing T. They have a good defense that goes hard to the ball.

BrahmaFan04
11-04-2003, 08:21 PM
If the lineman swung at one...then why did he not get kicked out of the game? exactly my point

BrahmaFan04
11-04-2003, 08:25 PM
and by the way i was there too...on the field i think i had a little better of a view

wildstangs
11-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Wtx_coach:
Hey wildstand, im not trying to scare you in any way but there is a goos possibility you guys will be playing Greenwood right off the gate, i think its a good poosibility because I have seen both Stockton and Kermit and both are shaky at times so its anybodys ball game, if kermit does win, MONAHANS AND SNYDER should be a tough one in the 1st round!!!!Yeah, I realize that is a possibility. Kermit is the favorite though from what I have heard. Sweetwater will be ready to play some tough football no matter what.

Pudlugger
11-04-2003, 11:15 PM
BrahmaFan04:
If the lineman swung at one...then why did he not get kicked out of the game? exactly my pointHe did, read my post. He had to run 3 miles in addition.

Knightmoon
11-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Remember, Merkel hasn't been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. I think if I hear that stat one more time, I will scream my fool head off. Merkel will just be glad to be there. We will be ready for Greenwood or Kermit.

therealbulldogs
11-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Wimberly and La Vernia will be a good one. They have played already this season and Wimberly won the game by 2 points.

GWOOD
11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Remember, Merkel hasn't been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. I think if I hear that stat one more time, I will scream my fool head off. Merkel will just be glad to be there. We will be ready for Greenwood or Kermit. Actually, it will be Greenwood or Monahans.

SintonFan
11-05-2003, 03:45 AM
Sinton vs Hondo will be a good first round matchup. Hondo played Sinton tough last year regardless of the score. They will be lookin for revenge. They are one of the most balanced teams out there in terms of ball distribution. It will be a difficult game for Sinton to win.

Ranger Mom
11-05-2003, 09:31 AM
GWOOD:

Remember, Merkel hasn't been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. I think if I hear that stat one more time, I will scream my fool head off. Merkel will just be glad to be there. We will be ready for Greenwood or Kermit. Actually, it will be Greenwood or Monahans.Why is that?? Is Kermit out no matter what happens Friday?? I understood that if Ft. Stockton won they would go DI leaving Monahans DII first seed and us second seed. If Kermit wins, that puts Monahans DI and us first seed in DII and Kermit second. (This is all based on a Greenwood win against Pecos also).

Did I get some bad info??

GWOOD
11-05-2003, 10:28 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GWOOD:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember, Merkel hasn't been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. I think if I hear that stat one more time, I will scream my fool head off. Merkel will just be glad to be there. We will be ready for Greenwood or Kermit.

Actually, it will be Greenwood or Monahans.

Why is that?? Is Kermit out no matter what happens Friday?? I understood that if Ft. Stockton won they would go DI leaving Monahans DII first seed and us second seed. If Kermit wins, that puts Monahans DI and us first seed in DII and Kermit second. (This is all based on a Greenwood win against Pecos also).

Did I get some bad info?? You have it exactly right, except that a Greenwood loss or win does not affect anything.

My comment "Greenwood or Monahans" only refers to who Merkel plays. Merkel will be the D2 #2 seed unless Seminole upsets Sweetwater and Lamesa upsets Merkel. Not likely to happen. As the D2 #2 seed they will play our D2 #1 seed which will either be Greenwood or Monahans.
If Kermit wins Friday night, regardless of whether Greenwood wins or not, Kermit will be the D2 #2 seed and will play Sweetwater, but not Merkel.

Merkel will play Greenwood if Kermit wins this Friday or they will play Monahans if Ft. Stockton wins.

Now after saying all of that, my head is spinning. Was this clear as mud?

Ranger Mom
11-05-2003, 11:10 AM
No...actually it all made perfect sense!! I see what you were saying now!!

Stangster
11-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Knightmoon:
Remember, Merkel hasn't been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. I think if I hear that stat one more time, I will scream my fool head off. Merkel will just be glad to be there. We will be ready for Greenwood or Kermit.You have to get past Lamesa first. Don't forget about last year. One game at a time.

PPHSfan
11-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Merkel might have not been to the playoffs since Kennedy was President. But last year in 5A Midland High had not been to the playoffs since Kennedy turned the legal drinking age, and they went all the way to the big show.

CatsDen
11-05-2003, 01:04 PM
I would like to see Forney vs. Wills Point and Decatur vs. Glen Rose

Chief Woodman
11-05-2003, 01:09 PM
CatsDen:
I would like to see Forney vs. Wills Point and Decatur vs. Glen RoseNot goning to happen unless Everman loses a game that they intend to win AND Venus loses. Otherwise it is Venus or Kennedale VS Decatur. Kennedale VS Decatur would be intresting don't ya think? The only Pity would be one of two good teams would have to exit in week one.

GWOOD
11-05-2003, 02:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Knightmoon:

You have to get past Lamesa first. Don't forget about last year. One game at a time. Actually, Merkel could lose to Lamesa and still make the playoffs. A combination of a Merkel loss to Lamesa and a Sweetwater loss to Seminole would allow Seminole to grab the third spot. If Seminole loses, Merkel is in, regardless of the outcome of their game.

Now, saying that, I expect Merkel to put one on Lamesa. They owe them. The upset last year knocked Merkel out of the playoffs. I'm positive that coaches and players from the '02 team that lost to Lamesa have not forgotten and feel they have a score to settle. Merkel by 4 or more touchdowns in this one!