PDA

View Full Version : Newton/Jasper...

Bulldog92
10-14-2002, 08:49 AM
Any thoughts on this game? I know this is the biggest game of the year for Jasper and it would be a huge win for them, but with the way they've been playing I'm not sure at all that they will win this game. It's time for the Dogs to play with a little urgency and show everyone that they are the team to beat in 20-3A and the state. It feels like they've been going through the motions through the first six games, but all eyes have been on this game since the realignment took place. Both teams will be ready and this is gonna be fun. Jasper 21, Newton 20. Go Dogs...

RBARKER
10-14-2002, 09:55 AM
I thought Newton would win big but, after last weeks scores by Jasper and Newton I would say Newton 21 Jasper 14.

BIG_UNIT
10-14-2002, 10:03 AM
HOW IS MITCHEL'S BACK ? DON'T GRADES COME OUT THIS WEEK ?

southern_thunder
10-14-2002, 10:08 AM
I think both teams will be up for this game and it will be a fun game to watch!!!! It will all come down to execution. If Jasper's offense executes well they win 48-0, if they dont they still win,14-0. LOL I dont really beleive either one of these scores will be right, we will just have to wait til Friday night to find out!!!!

Compudyne
10-14-2002, 12:14 PM
From what I saw on the news, It looks like Jasper was just thankful to get out of Kirbyville with a win.

Chris Hart
10-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Newton 27-21, should be a great game no matter who wins. Both will advance deep in the playoffs, Jasper will definately get the easier bracket in the playoffs. Reg 3 div.2 will be very tough.

sinton66
10-14-2002, 01:03 PM
Despite my buddy up there in Washington, I'm gonna have to go with Data Poll on this one. Newton looks to be about a 13 point favorite.

mojjo_1
10-14-2002, 01:48 PM
If Mitchell plays Jasper wins. Jack coach a great game for Kville last week. I don't know what happened to Newton last week against Woodville. Maybe both teams were looking ahead. I look for a close game. Jasper has to get Mitchell back and ready to play. I don't know what's up with the coaching, it seems to me that we are running basic plays. Maybe because Mitchell has been out they have kept it simple. If Mitchell does'nt play look for a defensive battle with turnovers deciding the game. I think this will be the best regular season game this year. Jasper will be tough at home and they also can play defense. This game will be standing room only, last one out of Newton turn the lights out.

classof 85
10-14-2002, 03:15 PM
My head says jasper but Newtons heart says Newton.

I pick Newton 17-10 eek!

oldbuff78
10-14-2002, 04:18 PM
This is truly the best game of the regular season. I wish I could see it. I must go with Coach Barbay and the Newton boys for a 3 point win. Good luck to both great teams!!!

ElMeroMero
10-14-2002, 05:13 PM
I look for Newton to come out on top 13-7 with their D-fense to force some turnovers that will setup the good drives for Newton.

FBmania
10-14-2002, 05:42 PM
This game is one of those "pick-em" odds makers talk about! Good luck to both teams!

PURPLE_SWARM
10-14-2002, 07:21 PM
good luck eagles. play ball and keep your heads and you will win.

the strength of the eagle
10-14-2002, 07:22 PM
From the Jasper-Kirbyville game, 14-0, Jasper will not have a chance against Newton's offense nor their deffense. I have to give Jasper a little credit for the offense. :) <Newton-21><Jasper-7> Newton will still pull out for the win! :D

Jason1725
10-14-2002, 08:17 PM
WOW! call off the game Jasper doesn't have a chance. LOL! Just tell me one thing, how do you like your crow?

notwen
10-14-2002, 08:55 PM
jasper is just exp. some mental breakdowns in the game against kirbyville. everyone knows they are the fastest, and biggest team in the district and are capable of realy embarrasing everyone on any given night, but since i am from newton i hope they have their little mental breakdown just one more week so we can beat their butts about 21 to about zero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after that i will be ready to pull for them in the playoffs.

Bulldog92
10-14-2002, 09:14 PM
Jasper is notorious for having more speed and talent than almost anybody they play. If their heads are right, they can be dominant...even against Newton. Focus is everything for the Bulldogs. Always has been, always will be. Notwen has hit on a very good point there...

Newton Fan
10-14-2002, 10:43 PM
An extra twist for Newton that the team hasn't had until the Woodville game is that the primary kicker is back.

Regarding the the Woodville and Kirbyville games... I'm guessing both Newton and Jasper were taking last Friday night for granted and should have been paying more (closer) attention??

Credit to the Woodville "D" they played a good game.

mojjo_1
10-14-2002, 10:44 PM
I was wondering where all the Newton fans were. What happen against woodville friday night? If either team plays like they did last friday they will lose.

Newton Fan
10-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Well... combination of general football things. Underestimation of Woodville, Overall sloppy play, missed tackles, wet field, etc.

The first qtr it didn't look like Newton was going to be able to put points on the board. Field was sloppy wet and that always hinders a team that relies on quickness as we are this year.

And man, did the penalty flags fly against both teams. I would estimate more penalties in this single game than the total of all other games played this year combined!

When Woodville did score the fans on there side of the field went crazy! You would have thought they had won the superbowl after they became the first to score against Newton this year.

Birdman
10-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Man, if we could get these guys to play each other on Saturday night at Lamar U. there would be 20,000 folks showing up! Both schools could fund their athletic budget for the year!! Oh well, things will be hopping in Jasper Friday night. Good luck to both teams Friday and in the playoffs!

Bulldog92
10-15-2002, 02:24 AM
I agree, Birdman...and both programs could use the extra revenue that would generate, too. While we're throwing out ideas, why not call it the Piney Woods Bowl or something like that and make and play for something that the winning school would keep every year? It doesn't have that classic rivalry feel to it yet...so ideas like those would boost things a little...

sinton66
10-15-2002, 07:13 AM
Data Poll just updated, and now has Newton by +5. Aprediction like this usually means a toss-up, and will come down to execution and desire. I'll stay with Data Poll and ammend my prediction to Newton by 7.

ej2525
10-15-2002, 07:35 AM
With the injuries that has hit Jasper I am leaning toward the town 12 miles to the east. This should be one of the best games this year and could possibly be a showcase of Div. I & II legitimate state champ front runners. Should be a good one.

duckbutter
10-15-2002, 09:45 AM
If Newton plays like they did last friday Jasper will beat us like a drum. I do think both teams were looking ahead to this weeks game instead of taking care of business. I will have to go with Newton by 8 in a hard fought battle. I think Newtons quick, swarming defense will be the deciding factor.

Reveille
10-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Duck, I think the keys to the game will be as follow: Newton will have to contain the QB as well as solid pressure on passing downs. Jasper will have to contain the toss sweep and passes in the flat. These were pretty much the keys to last years game also. It will be one heck of a ballgame. My heart says Jasper, but I just have that feeling as I have said before that Newton has a very good shot at taking Jasper out. Good luck to both teams. ................One other key for eaither team to win will be.......MORE COWBELL!!!!!! :D

southern_thunder
10-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Jasper by 21!!!!

duckbutter
10-15-2002, 02:07 PM
Jasper by 21......PLEASE!!! Jasper didn't beat Kirbyville by 21 and Newton is no Kirbyville.

joeblow
10-15-2002, 02:52 PM
For all you that went to the Newton vs Woodville game, did yall see Newtons new kicker? Oh my god what was Newton thinking for that I mean he ran at the ball and fall! What a retard! Newton, get a new kicker please or you'll have no chance against Jasper.

Matthew328
10-15-2002, 04:09 PM
I am gonna pick Jasper in this one.....I just have a feeling...the teams are fairly evenly matched...Jasper hasn't played a great game yet...I think this could be the week..

Reveille
10-15-2002, 04:10 PM
Duck, what does Kirbyville have to do with this? Let's see, Jasper scored 15 more points on Nacogdoches than Newton. Nacogdoches scored 9 more points on Jasper than they did Newton. Since Newton is no Kirbyville and Jasper and Newton have played one common opponent with Jasper scoring more than Newton, but giving up more than Newton, 15 - 9 = 6. Yeah, Jasper will win by 6 over Newton. .........And if ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmas. I think. LOL wink

duckbutter
10-15-2002, 04:31 PM
The point I was trying to make is that Jasper WON'T beat Newton by 21. Newton by 8! Purple defense will shut Jasper down.

Reveille
10-15-2002, 04:37 PM
if it rains that is. Just have your cell phone turned on so I can report the score to you. :D

j_dog
10-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Reveille:
if it rains that is. Just have your cell phone turned on so I can report the score to you. :D I think you are right about the rain. I did not see the game last year, but I had a friend there from Houston (i.e. objective). He said Jasper was really putting it on Newton until 1. the rain started and 2. Mitchell was injured. After that Newton was able to make a game out of it.

I think the Dogs will be ready. I will be very happy with a 1 point victory, but expect much more. I think Jasper has been diddling around this year trying different line-ups to prepare for the playoffs, while I think you have been seeing Newton as good as they can be. Good luck to everyone.

Newton fans, regardless of the outcome of this game, I will be pulling for you in the playoffs.

whatusay2
10-15-2002, 07:27 PM
I predict that after the first half, the game won't be close. I think one team is going to blow the other one out. I just "hope" it's Jasper that does the blowing. (However, I, too, will be cheering for Newton in the playoffs.)

PURPLE_SWARM
10-15-2002, 08:36 PM
I AGREE WITH BULLDOG92, JASPER IS FASTER, BIGGER,AND OVERALL STRONGER THAN ALMOST ANY TEAM THEY WILL EVER FACE. THE UIL DISTRICT ALIGNMENT PAGE LISTS JASPER WITH 876 STUDENTS 5TH BIGGEST IN 3A. THEY ALSO LIST NEWTON WITH 353.5 STUDENTS 5TH SMALLEST IN 3A. THATS A 522.5 STUDENTS DIFFERENCE. QUITE ALOT MORE TO CHOOSE FROM!! BUT MY PICK IS NEWTON BY 6 POINTS.
GOOD LUCK EAGLES AND LETS KEEP THE BARBAY EXPRESS ROLLING ON.

WHAT ABOUT MITCHELL? I HEAR IS INJURY COULD BE VERY SERIOUS AND THEY CONTINUE TO PLAY HIM.

PURPLE_SWARM
10-15-2002, 08:36 PM
I AGREE WITH BULLDOG92, JASPER IS FASTER, BIGGER,AND OVERALL STRONGER THAN ALMOST ANY TEAM THEY WILL EVER FACE. THE UIL DISTRICT ALIGNMENT PAGE LISTS JASPER WITH 876 STUDENTS 5TH BIGGEST IN 3A. THEY ALSO LIST NEWTON WITH 353.5 STUDENTS 5TH SMALLEST IN 3A. THATS A 522.5 STUDENTS DIFFERENCE. QUITE ALOT MORE TO CHOOSE FROM!! BUT MY PICK IS NEWTON BY 6 POINTS.
GOOD LUCK EAGLES AND LETS KEEP THE BARBAY EXPRESS ROLLING ON.

WHAT ABOUT MITCHELL? I HEAR IS INJURY COULD BE VERY SERIOUS AND THEY CONTINUE TO PLAY HIM.

aamove
10-15-2002, 09:06 PM
Newton by 3.

Bulldog92
10-15-2002, 10:10 PM
In my opinion, Mitchell's injury can't be as serious as people are speculating. I'm sure he loves the game, but if there were a chance that he could suffer permanent damage it doesn't make sense to play. Some people say that he is a better baseball player and has a future in that sport if he chooses to pursue it. Why would he play football if he knew he could damage his future like that? It doesn't add up to me...

DAWG 54
10-15-2002, 10:23 PM
I've heard that they have been resting Mitchell. They say his injury would get better with rest. I hope he is ready for Friday. The team seemed like they played better with him in there and the coach's
:cool: seemed to call a better game (thowing the ball).

I know Newton as a running game, what a passing game.

Good Luck to both schools.
Stay healthy.

Jasper by 7

3ABirdMan
10-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Beaumont's KBMT ( Channel 12) had a telephone interview with both coaches on the SportsCast tonight. Jasper's Coach said "blah...blah...blah" - in other words, the usual they're good, we have to play good, etc. Newton's Curtis Barbay "They're bigger than us and faster us" - IN other words, Barbay is pumping his guys as the little underdog! When Barbay gets them fired up, I don't think anyone can beat them for a whole game!

I predict some big offensive plays, from both teams, in an otherwise defensive battle, to be the difference in the game. I don't expect either team to be able to piece together sustained drives to score, but rather breakaways now and then.

With Barbay pumping his guys as the underdogs against the bigger, faster, stronger Bulldogs:
Newton 28
Jasper 21

<small>[ October 15, 2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: 3ABirdMan ]</small>

Newton Fan
10-15-2002, 10:58 PM
I think the game may come down to how much the starting Jasper QB plays. If he is 90% or better for 3 good quarters Jasper has the edge.

If Jasper has to use the backup QB a great portion of the game they (JAS) are in trouble. I'm not Taking anything away from the backup QB as he is a very good running back just not the QB the starter is.

If Newton's Defense is sharp and Jasper makes any physical OR mentle errors Newton will win.

j_dog
10-15-2002, 11:57 PM
3ABirdMan:
Beaumont's KBMT ( Channel 12) had a telephone interview with both coaches on the SportsCast tonight. Jasper's Coach said "blah...blah...blah" - in other words, the usual they're good, we have to play good, etc. Newton's Curtis Barbay "They're bigger than us and faster us" - IN other words, Barbay is pumping his guys as the little underdog! When Barbay gets them fired up, I don't think anyone can beat them for a whole game!
.... I think Barbay is just telling the truth this time. Jasper is probably bigger and faster than Newton. Jasper is bigger and faster than most teams in Texas, regardless of classification. But you are right about Barbay. Newton definitely has the edge in coaching experience and possibly ability. And that might prove to be the difference in the game. It is going to be interesting to see. I have the utmost respect for the coaching ability of Barbay and his staff, particularly his offensive coordinator.

Jason1725
10-16-2002, 12:07 AM
I think Jasper at home with their size and speed win big 28-7.

Bulldog92
10-16-2002, 12:13 AM
Is anyone webcasting the game? I wanted to get down there, but there's too much going on here to allow me to be there. On a side note, j_dog, it's good to see ya on the board again. :D

2001GiddingsLB
10-16-2002, 12:14 AM
I played Newton last year and if they have half the team they did last year then watch out Jasper. I'm gonna predict Newton by 10. Go Eagles!! Win it all this year!

Reveille
10-16-2002, 08:36 AM
At this time, it appears we will have excellent weather for the ballgame. Let's hope it is a clean game with no injuries for either team.

tigers05
10-16-2002, 08:42 AM
i'm gonna say jasper on this one, i'm not gona pick by how many points, but it'll be a close game.

<small>[ October 16, 2002, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: tigers05 ]</small>

duckbutter
10-16-2002, 09:31 AM
On paper Newton is the underdog but there is one thing that you can't put on paper and that is heart. These kids have the heart to win and go out each weeking thinking that there is not a team in Texas that can beat them. This game will be a close, hard fought battle and which ever team can make the fewest mistakes will win. I predict that the winner will win by one big play. Woe unto the people of Jasper for the PURPLE SWARM from the east is upon you.....

98Eagle
10-16-2002, 04:22 PM
My prediction is Newton winning by a slight margin. Coach Barbay really has everyone focused for this game and in my opinion he is the best coach in east Texas. Im just excited to see all the hits and I think turnovers and penalties will be a major factor. The team with the fewest mistakes wins. I bought my ticket today and would advise anyone planning to attend to get theirs quick because they are going fast. PURPLE PRIDE NEVER DIES!

PURPLE_SWARM
10-16-2002, 04:51 PM
WHAT ABOUT NEWTONS DEFENSE COACH!! I CAN SAY HE IS MOST LIKELY THE BEST IN THE STATE, 3A FOR SURE AND MAYBE ALL CLASSES. AS FOR OFFENSE ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS BARBAY AND ENOUGH SAID. JUST THINK THIS IS SUSPOSE TO BE NEWTONS DOWN YEAR. NEWTON HAS THE TEAM TO WIN IT ALL IN 3A THIS YEAR. BOTH DIV.. IF THEY PLAY TOGETHER. (WE ARE STRONGER AS ONE, THAN ALONE!!) NEWTON OVER JASPER BY 6 IN A DEFENSIVE BATTLE. LETS GO EAGLES.

YOU GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

Bulldog92
10-16-2002, 06:45 PM
I think Newton has the two best coaches in East Texas. Walkoviak is a great coach, too. I can't wait to see how this one turns out. It would be a huge win for either team and it's a shame someone's gonna go home with a loss. Go Dogs...

Keith7
10-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Jasper has this game won just because of past experience

purplethug
10-16-2002, 07:02 PM
two more days to the royal ass whipping of jasper

2001GiddingsLB
10-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Whoever wins, I sincerely hope that the victor of the game does not come back on this board and brag. I seriously doubt that will happen but ya never know. Go Newton show Jasper what football is all about.

j_dog
10-16-2002, 08:21 PM
2001GiddingsLB:
Whoever wins, I sincerely hope that the victor of the game does not come back on this board and brag. I seriously doubt that will happen but ya never know. Go Newton show Jasper what football is all about.Oh come on now. It wouldn't be any fun if we didn't brag a little bit.

98Eagle
10-16-2002, 08:33 PM
I don't see how you can say that Jasper will win because of past experience. Since 1950 Jasper has been to the playoffs 24 times and Newton 27 times. Coach Barbay has 238 career wins all with Newton. Thats a little experience. I have a friend that Coaches at Newton (Siau) and he said that Jasper kills Newton on paper, but we all know they don't measure heart on paper. If you're goin better get their early cause the stadium is gonna be packed to capacity.

purplethug
10-16-2002, 08:53 PM
j_dog:

2001GiddingsLB:
Whoever wins, I sincerely hope that the victor of the game does not come back on this board and brag. I seriously doubt that will happen but ya never know. Go Newton show Jasper what football is all about.Oh come on now. It wouldn't be any fun if we didn't brag a little bit.Yeah i agree. It wouldnt be any fun if Newton didnt brag after they beat Jasper's ass.

southern_thunder
10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
I just hope that who ever loses (Newton) will take the bragging,by Jasper like a man and not start with all the excuses and whining about bad calls or whatever. If you get a whipping admit it!

Jasper by at least 21!!

mojjo_1
10-16-2002, 09:24 PM
Jasper has made the playoffs 16 of the the last 20 yrs. All 20 yrs. in 4a, Friday night we'll know. I'm not going to run my mouth on any game let alone one this close. Just remember Jasper may think eagle taste better than crow.

98Eagle
10-16-2002, 09:37 PM
Jasper has an enrollment of 876; Newton 353.5. Kind of like David vs. Goliath and we all know what happened in that one.

southern_thunder
10-16-2002, 09:42 PM
How exactly do you have half a student?

mojjo_1
10-16-2002, 09:57 PM
Jasper has been the small school in 4a for years. Now their the big school in 3a for the next 2 yrs. And the way it looks Jasper may stay in 3a and Newton could drop to 2a in 2 yrs. It's all up to the UIL so play the cards your dealt. Jasper has done it for years.

Jason1725
10-16-2002, 10:28 PM
With all the trash Newton is talking, you better believe there will be some bragging come Saturday after Jasper wins.

purplethug
10-16-2002, 10:47 PM
No doubt this will be a damn good game. I know this is a big game for us as well as Jasper. I believe Jasper will play hard and be hard to beat.
But I (KNOW) that we're not comming to Jasper to loose. So all i got to say is Jasper better bring it if they want to stay on the field with us.

"may the best team win"

Jason1725
10-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Don't worry Thug, Jasper will be more than ready.

newtongal
10-17-2002, 04:40 PM
southern_thunder:
How exactly do you have half a student?From what I heard, last year when they were discussing whether or not we would be 3A, the enrollment for the highschool did end up with a half. When asked about it, they said that the funding for the mentally handicapped was only considered as a half for each student.

mojjo_1
10-17-2002, 05:28 PM
That is a great straight line for a joke. I can't do it.

Bulldog92
10-17-2002, 07:37 PM
So there are really 707 students at Newton? I'm just kidding... :D Go Dogs....

BigDaddy
10-18-2002, 12:24 PM
This is going to be one of the state's best match-ups this year. Both teams are well balanced and both have strong and weak points. What I hope to see is a game played with good sportsmanship and athleticism along with fans from both sides acting in a decent, respectable, but spirited way. I also pray that both sides have no injuries to the young players that give it their all. May the best prepared team win!

southern_thunder
10-18-2002, 12:36 PM
AMEN!!!!! BIG DADDY

Reveille
10-18-2002, 12:51 PM
Bulldog92:
So there are really 707 students at Newton? I'm just kidding... :D Go Dogs....ROTFLMAO

big daddy russ
10-18-2002, 01:07 PM
southern_thunder:
How exactly do you have half a student?newton gal, southern thunder... the way that works out is if a student is enrolled but attends fewer than four hours a day. each school has a snapshot day where they tally, as of that particular day, how many students are not only enrolled, but also attend classes. most students go for the majority of the day but some get out before lunch. you can have, say, a senior who goes for only a couple of classes a day and then has off periods for the rest of the day because they have enough credits to do that. also, here in ingleside, we have a few students who go to a local community college in the afternoons and they're only considered a "half student." does that clear things up?

big daddy russ
10-18-2002, 01:09 PM
p.s. bigdaddy, love the name.

Jason1725
10-19-2002, 12:25 AM
Well after weeks of trash talk and a week of disrespect by fans and media from all over Texas, maybe now Jasper will get some RESPECT!!!! After hints of a shut out and talk of winning by more than 18 points the Bulldogs of Jasper showed the state, don't count out the Dogs. Newton might win a division 2 3A State Championship but they wont have a District Title to go with it.

Jasper:45
Newton:20

Jason1725
10-19-2002, 12:26 AM
Well after weeks of trash talk and a week of disrespect by fans and media from all over Texas, maybe now Jasper will get some RESPECT!!!! After hints of a shut out and talk of winning by more than 18 points the Bulldogs of Jasper showed the state, don't count out the Dogs. Newton might win a division 2 3A State Championship but they wont have a District Championship to go with it.

Jasper:45
Newton:20

OldSchoolBulldog
10-19-2002, 03:45 PM
duckbutter:
Jasper by 21......PLEASE!!! Jasper didn't beat Kirbyville by 21 and Newton is no Kirbyville.Jasper 45, Newton 20

"enough said"