PDA

View Full Version : Any Surface fans out there?

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 10:53 PM
For those who haven't watched here's a quick synopsis of episodes(by TV.com):
1. People all over the world experience bizarre encounters involving strange new creatures in the oceans. Among those people are Laura Daughtery, a marine biologist and single mother working in California, Richard Connelly, a Louisiana family man fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, and Miles Bennett, a North Carolina teen who finds one of the creatures' eggs.
2.After a mysterious animal carcass is discovered on the shore of Sullivan's Island, Laura and Rich head there to look for some answers but instead get detained for questioning. Also, a team of scientists face a hazardous autopsy of the deceased creature. Meanwhile, Miles decides to name his new discovery Nimrod but faces panic and trouble when Savannah throws a party at which point Nimrod ends up escaping.
3.The phenomena becomes more widespread as similar creatures wreak havoc on the coast of Texas. Laura gets more upset with the government especially after she loses her job, while Rich still has a difficult time getting over the loss of his brother as he starts to hear his voice in the water. Cirko and Lee find startling information that may link the creatures to global warming when they begin to dig under the ocean bed. Meanwhile, Miles discovers that it's not safe to raise Nimrod in the backyard when lightning strikes.
4.Laura and Jackson head out to sea where she ends up using a GPS device to track one of the creatures. Rich finds proof that the sinkholes in his visions are real causing him to continue obsessing over his brother's death. Meanwhile, Lee tries to talk Cirko out of telling the Pentagon that the new species should be considered extremely dangerous.
5.Laura and Richard reunite and use a GPS device to track one of the creatures to a local pier in California while Cirko and Lee consider asking Laura to join them in their investigation. Meanwhile, Miles and Phil fight to keep Nimrod a secret when suspicious Animal Control officers search for a missing neighborhood dog.
6.Cirko's life is in danger after he discovers the origin of the mysterious new species. Laura and Rich begin to fear for their own safety when they come into possession of a much sought after sea orchid. Miles sneaks Nimrod out of the house when his parents realize that he's been secretly keeping the animal as a pet.
7.Jackson comes to Laura and Rich's aide after they find that Laura's home has been broken into. Miles gets in trouble with the law in his attempt to free Nimrod. And Lee discusses Cirko and the creatures with his superiors.
8.Jackson helps Laura and Rich build a submersible so that they can visit a site where the creatures spawn. Meanwhile, the Bennett's consider boot camp as a way to discipline Miles.
9.Trapped in the submersible, Laura fears survival is impossible while Rich begins to hallucinate. Miles worries about Nimrod when he hears of trouble at the marine docks. Phil helps Miles look for Nimrod but they discover something else.
10.Laura and Rich are in for another shock when they leave the ocean floor and return to the surface. Meanwhile, Savannah suspects that Nimrod's responsible for Miles ending up in the hospital.
11.Rich and Laura try to get the footage of their trip to the ocean bottom to a news station before Lee can stop them. Meanwhile, Miles must watch as doctors prepare Nim for an autopsy.
12.On the run with Rich, Laura encounters a mysterious person who claims to know the origin of the creatures. Meanwhile, Miles fears the worst when two of Caitlin's friends vanish at the beach.
13.The search for the mysterious force responsible for the creatures leads Laura and Rich to an abandoned lab. Meanwhile, Miles joins the aquarium crew in searching for the field of unhatched eggs.
14.Laura and Rich decide that it's time to get some answers from Lee as Laura considers going back home. Meanwhile, Miles gets in trouble with the local residents after a violent incident with a bully.
15.As a massive tsunami heads for the east coast, Laura must save Rich by heading to North Carolina where Miles and his family are trying to escape with their lives.
So anyone else out there watch this show and what do you think about it? Any response is welcome.:)

44INAROW
02-07-2006, 11:13 PM
I've watched nearly every episode..... Was last night the last episode? I've also been watching Invasion. Have you?

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:20 PM
'Surface' Gets Swamped in Finale
By Kate O'Hare
Friday, February 03, 2006
04:15 PM PT

On Monday, Feb. 6, at 8 p.m. ET, the NBC science-fiction drama "Surface" comes to its first-season finale after 15 episodes. While it's an earlier end than most, it was planned from the beginning, in order to shuffle the serialized show off in time for the Winter Olympics.
The future of the sea-monster drama, though, remains in question.

At a January meeting with reporters at the biannual Television Critics Association Press Tour in Pasadena, Calif., NBC entertainment chief Kevin Reilly said, "The show has done a pretty good job over on Monday. I think it's creative. It's got a very loyal audience.

"I think this one has fared best on its own, having to self-start at 8 o'clock. So we'll reassess in May. We'll look at the rest of the product, but no decision is made right now one way or the other."
"It depends on development," says Josh Pate, who executive-produces "Surface" with his twin brother, Jonas. "Seriously, there are too many variables at this point."

"Surface" stars Lake Bell as Dr. Laura Daughtery, who teams with Rich (Jay R. Ferguson), a Louisiana insurance salesman and fisherman, to track a mysterious undersea creature that impacted both their lives. At the same time, Miles (Carter Jenkins), a teen in Wilmington, N.C. (where the show is filmed), has raised one of the amphibious creatures from an egg, and his long exposure to it has had a radical effect on his psychology and physiology.

In the finale, a tsunami charges toward the Eastern seaboard, threatening all the major characters, especially Rich, who's locked in a cell.

"I think we've made a great show," Pate says, "and we build to a thundering climax. It's really awesome. It just rolls home like a big James Cameron movie, and it sets up next year.

"We were scared we couldn't pull it off because it was just huge, and we had to make it eight days, blah blah blah. It was just huge."

Asked if he's worried about using a tsunami in his storyline, Pate says, "I don't think of it as totally off-limits. Adventure stories should reflect the world. Why can't we talk about it?

"I definitely don't want to make light of massive suffering, but at the same time, if you have crazy stuff happening in an adventure show, it makes for cool moments. I don't want to give away the ending, but it has to do with sea monsters."

The Pates made a decision to reveal the monsters pretty early on, and Josh has no regrets.

"I had a lot of story to get to," he says, "so I just felt like, why hide the critter for that long? But there are lots of creatures, man. You can have Godzilla and the evil robot. There are lots of possibilities out there.

"If we come back next year, it's going to be really different from this year, but we still want to do as many crazy visual effects as we can."

He'd even be willing to do more than 15 episodes, saying, "We've got so many places we want to go with the characters, the more the merrier, for sure."

Previously, the Pates created a surrealistic, edgy fantasy series -- "G vs. E," for USA Network -- and worked on a sleek crime drama -- Dick Wolf's "Dragnet," for ABC -- but they returned to their North Carolina roots to do "Surface."

"It's red state, man," Pate says of the show's sensibility. "I had a bifurcated upbringing. My parents were divorced, back and forth. I finally decided, I can't be that fancy, I have to do sea-monster stuff."

Pate feels that part of the show's mission is to speak to viewers that he believes sometimes are overlooked.

"When is the last time you were in America," he says, "not the blue-state America, but literally America? They play it pretty straight out there. I'm from the red state. I've been back and forth between blue state and red state my whole adult life, and there are two Americas, man.

"A lot of guys in the media only travel in the blue America. They grew up in Connecticut, went to prep school and have never been to America."

Pate is also proud of the label of "family adventure," which NBC slapped on "Surface" at its premiere.

"I get so much e-mail from people that watch it with their kids," he says. "If you look at the numbers, it's like 12-year-olds watching it with their parents, is our main audience."

As for the restrictions of the 8 o'clock hour, Pate says, "I can totally get off on the artistry of 'Bambi.' How can you do a movie better than 'Bambi'? It's beautiful, and it's completely G-rated. If you go to shock out, it can be a way to hide.

"I don't feel hemmed in. I like trying to make a family show. There's not enough, and it usually works."
Gosh, those guys who make this show are trying to reach us RED STATE guys. Well, it worked for me.
:)

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I've watched nearly every episode..... Was last night the last episode? I've also been watching Invasion. Have you?
Last night was the "season finale" for Surface. There is no guarantee it'll be picked up for the next season.:( :( :(
I watched the first 4-5 episodes of Invasion but they lost me when it slid to more drama and less sci-fi. I liked it but didn't keep up with it when Thanksgiving and other holidays came around. Surface really did keep me coming back for more.:)

pirate4state
02-07-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm hooked & will be disappointed if it isn't picked up for a second season!! :(

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I'm hooked & will be disappointed if it isn't picked up for a second season!! :(
There is a website where you can vote to keep it on.:)
Here's the link I found. link (http://www.tv.com/surface/show/32412/write-to-nbc-we-need-a-second-season-heres-the-addresses/topic/14502-202675/msgs.html)
Email whoever you need to. I've already sent one email.:)

pirate4state
02-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Here's the link I found. link (http://www.tv.com/surface/show/32412/write-to-nbc-we-need-a-second-season-heres-the-addresses/topic/14502-202675/msgs.html)
Email whoever you need to. I've already sent one email.:) :nerd: will do :cool:

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:51 PM
I found a little tidbit from the NBC mothership. Footage I haven't seen before. monsters below (http://www.nbc.com/Surface/surface_creature_010306.mov)
Enjoy!:)

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Normally I wouldn't give the LA Times any credit but they did say this:
"It is a Spielberg pastiche through and through...an excellent one." - Los Angeles Times
Won't the SciFi channel have season reruns?:confused: :thinking:

SintonFan
02-08-2006, 12:25 AM
Here's a direct link to one petition drive. Surface (http://www.petitiononline.com/surface/petition.html)

44INAROW
02-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Email whoever you need to. I've already sent one email.:)
thanks for all the links and info...... going to check them out - I was just curious if the boys family and the others on the ferry got to high ground safely:doh:

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Here's a direct link to one petition drive. Surface (http://www.petitiononline.com/surface/petition.html) 1968 signatures. I love this show. I also watch invasion (it has gotten much better) and Lost. I'm loving some of these new shows. Now I don't have to rely solely on SciFi Fridays.:)

SintonFan
02-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
1968 signatures. I love this show. I also watch invasion (it has gotten much better) and Lost. I'm loving some of these new shows. Now I don't have to rely solely on SciFi Fridays.:)
I'll look for reruns of Invasion to catch up. Thank goodness for Tivos and DVRs.
2654 total signatures.:)

JasperDog94
02-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I'll look for reruns of Invasion to catch up. Thank goodness for Tivos and DVRs.
2654 total signatures.:) With Wednesday night rehearsals at church, I'd be out of luck without my DVR.