PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Top 10 3a Poll? (merged)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Who do you think will make the top 10 Pre-Season Poll?

3afan
02-07-2006, 06:38 PM
the usual ..... ;)

STANG RED
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I'll just do one for Region 1. This will probably get me in enough trouble any way.
These are in no particular order. This will just be in the order they come to mind.
Sweetwater
Abilene Wylie
Snyder
Monahans
Decature
Gainsville
Canyon
Vernon
Graham
Bridgeport

Here are teams that come to mind quickly from regions 2, 3, & 4.
Again, these are in no particular order
Celina
Cuero
WOS
Libery Hill
Hutto
Gilmer
Canton
Atlanta
Cameron Yoe
Dallas Madison

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I'll just do one for Region 1. This will probably get me in enough trouble any way.
These are in no particular order. This will just be in the order they come to mind.
Sweetwater
Abilene Wylie
Snyder
Monahans
Decature
Gainsville
Canyon
Vernon
Graham
Bridgeport

Here are teams that come to mind quickly from regions 2, 3, & 4.
Again, these are in no particular order
Celina
Cuero
WOS
Libery Hill
Hutto
Gilmer
Canton
Atlanta
Cameron Yoe
Dallas Madison

i would leave gainesville out, they are losing 20 starters next season. gonna be a rebuilding year.

STANG RED
02-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i would leave gainesville out, they are losing 20 starters next season. gonna be a rebuilding year.

So is Wylie, but when you look at region 1 as a whole, It appears to be pretty weak. The only others worth mentioning are Greenwood, Iowa Park, and Perryton. Maybe Lubbock Cooper.
Andrews may be a darkhorse. You never know what a reinvigorated (once proud) program might do, after dropping down in classification. It wasnt long ago, Andrews was one of the better 4A programs in the state.

Adidas410s
02-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Region 1 Top 5

1 - Canyon
2 - Sweetwater
3 - Graham
4 - Monahans
5 - Abilene Wylie

safe enough???

Gobbla2001
02-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Columbia and Liberty Hill's departure from Region 4 weakened up Region 4 a bit this year...

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 09:32 PM
I'd agree with ya D but don't forget Gonzo played dem "dub roughies" a heck of a game. Maybe cuz the roughnecks couldn't see the ball with all that day-glow orange...:doh:

big daddy russ
02-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Early, early, early top 10. I still don't know if I'm leaving off a R1 or R2 team that brings back the house, but from what I know as of now this is my list...

1. CUERO....
Cafeteria menu for Cuero HS, week of 2/6/06-2/10/-06:
Mon: Corn
Tues: Corn
Wed: Corn
Thurs: Corn with a side of steak and potatoes
Fri: Corn
They return tons of skill and size and again should be one of the early favorites for the '06 state title.
2. BELLVILLE....
They ran with the big guns in Cameron, beat Marlin and Rice, and won a district title. Oh, and these guys return the house.
3. TEXARKANA LIBERTY-EYLAU...
Remember one name: Will Middlebrooks. It's tough to get much love when you're the bright spot on a team that's in it's own little corner of the Texas HS football world, but the wunderkind QB/PK/P/DB/LB/Cheerleader/everything returns to lead a talented supporting cast for one more year. They made it to the D1 Semis last year before bowing out to Gainesville. A trip to the title game (in what's shaping up to be a weaker D1 bracket than years past) isn't out of the question.
4. HUTTO...
The D2 finalists will make another run with many of the same faces they had last year, though there will be some stiff competition from district rival...
5. ...CAMERON...
The Yoe drew one of the most top-heavy districts in the state. Though they'll probably suffer at least one setback during the regular season, all-everything Brian Scott should have them ready for another push deep into the playoffs.
6. CANTON (tentative)...
I'm big on a team having a solid defense and a great leader on offense before I put them in the top 10. G.J. Kinne may have been the best QB in the state in '05, and he's being given another year to bring back some hardware.
7. CANYON...
QB Anthony Ramos has plenty of weapons coming back in an offense that's been described to me as "Tech's JV."
9. WEST ORANGE-STARK...
The only reason they're this "low" is because there's nowhere else to put them, with a loaded R3. While you can't replace a Deon Beasley, they won't cry too much with Earl Thomas leading the charge.
10. ATLANTA...
I could've got cute and picked up-and-coming Celina or an Ingleside squad that returns all but five starters from their '05 squad. I could've been safe and picked last year's state champs who still have a lot left in the tank, or a Sweetwater, Kennedale or Jasper program who is always there. But in the end, one thing comes to mind that makes you realize they're in for a big '06... They used to make their runs during odd-numbered years, but have had disappointing years the past two seasons. I think they'll flip that tradition to even-numbered years in '06.

OTHERS:
11. Wimberley
12. Bridge City
13. Celina
14. Giddings
15. Sweetwater
16. Graham
17. Monahans
18. Kennedale
19. Jasper
20. Sinton
21. Wharton
22. Ingleside
23. Sweeny
24. Rio Hondo
25. Port Isabel

3afan
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
4. HUTTO...
The defending D2 champs ......

:thinking:

big daddy russ
02-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
My bad... I'll change that. Meant to put finalists, started thinking about Wimberley.

Adidas410s
02-07-2006, 09:44 PM

with Tatum gone they pretty much have to defend the title...

Crimestick
02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Bump Wimberley WAY up.

lostaussie
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
we could care less if in top 10 or not. 18 returning starters. buckeyes will be a team to be reckoned with.

big daddy russ
02-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
we could care less if in top 10 or not. 18 returning starters. buckeyes will be a team to be reckoned with.
I forgot all about Gilmer. Had no clue they return 18... would've put them in the top 20 based on tradition alone.

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Just mho, but Sinton doesn't need to be top 25.

big daddy russ
02-07-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Just mho, but Sinton doesn't need to be top 25.
I think you guys will be fine if you let those RBs carry the load.

LH OffseasonVet
02-07-2006, 11:15 PM
BD Russ where do you think LH should go? Just curious what people think now that the incredible duo is gone.

lostaussie
02-07-2006, 11:21 PM
we've been ranked high and got our clocks cleaned. not ranked at all and won it all. i don't think our town for the most part focuses much on rankings. personally i see rankings more a sign of respect for your program than how good you really are. respect is nice though. if you don't believe me watch where celina comes out this year.

SintonFan
02-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I think you guys will be fine if you let those RBs carry the load.
lol
RBs make good LBs and DBs sometimes.:D

lostaussie
02-07-2006, 11:28 PM
lol
RBs make good LBs and DBs sometimes.:D i know that's right.

big daddy russ
02-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by LH OffseasonVet
BD Russ where do you think LH should go? Just curious what people think now that the incredible duo is gone.
To be perfectly honest, you're asking the wrong guy.

Personally, I think they have a great program and that it's the system... not the athletes... that make the team. I think you'll have a good team next year (not great, like the '04 squad, but good nonetheless) that will compete for a playoff spot in what's shaping up to be a very tough district. If you make it out of that district, you have as good a shot as anyone at making a playoff run... but again, you guys run into tough teams everywhere you look. R3 will probably be the toughest region in the state again next year.

But like I said at the outset, I'm not an expert, just a casual fan. I saw one half of LH football last year, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

lol
RBs make good LBs and DBs sometimes.:D
LOL. Yes they do.

eagles_victory
02-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Early, early, early top 10. I still don't know if I'm leaving off a R1 or R2 team that brings back the house, but from what I know as of now this is my list...

1. CUERO....
They return tons of skill and size and again should be one of the early favorites for the '06 state title.
2. BELLVILLE....
They ran with the big guns in Cameron, beat Marlin and Rice, and won a district title. Oh, and these guys return the house.
Remember one name: Will Middlebrooks. It's tough to get much love when you're the bright spot on a team that's in it's own little corner of the Texas HS football world, but the wunderkind QB/PK/P/DB/LB/Cheerleader/everything returns to lead a talented supporting cast for one more year. They made it to the D1 Semis last year before bowing out to Gainesville. A trip to the title game (in what's shaping up to be a weaker D1 bracket than years past) isn't out of the question.
4. HUTTO...
The D2 finalists will make another run with many of the same faces they had last year, though there will be some stiff competition from district rival...
5. ...CAMERON...
The Yoe drew one of the most top-heavy districts in the state. Though they'll probably suffer at least one setback during the regular season, all-everything Brian Scott should have them ready for another push deep into the playoffs.
6. CANTON (tentative)...
I'm big on a team having a solid defense and a great leader on offense before I put them in the top 10. G.J. Kinne may have been the best QB in the state in '05, and he's being given another year to bring back some hardware.
7. CANYON...
QB Anthony Ramos has plenty of weapons coming back in an offense that's been described to me as "Tech's JV."
9. WEST ORANGE-STARK...
The only reason they're this "low" is because there's nowhere else to put them, with a loaded R3. While you can't replace a Deon Beasley, they won't cry too much with Earl Thomas leading the charge.
10. ATLANTA...
I could've got cute and picked up-and-coming Celina or an Ingleside squad that returns all but five starters from their '05 squad. I could've been safe and picked last year's state champs who still have a lot left in the tank, or a Sweetwater, Kennedale or Jasper program who is always there. But in the end, one thing comes to mind that makes you realize they're in for a big '06... They used to make their runs during odd-numbered years, but have had disappointing years the past two seasons. I think they'll flip that tradition to even-numbered years in '06.

OTHERS:
11. Wimberley
12. Bridge City
13. Celina
14. Giddings
15. Sweetwater
16. Graham
17. Monahans
18. Kennedale
19. Jasper
20. Sinton
21. Wharton
22. Ingleside
23. Sweeny
24. Rio Hondo
25. Port Isabel

Where is number 8?

neck_06
02-08-2006, 08:40 AM
i still don't see Columbia anywhere in any poll, o well, looks like another year under the radar for the roughnecks

gtownpoke
02-08-2006, 12:31 PM
We wont play Celina because we will go big school.
Also out of the 18 starters we return, over the next 2 years 3 of those players will be in the National Top 100 according to Rivals. Not too shabby for a 3A school.

lostaussie
02-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
We wont play Celina because we will go big school.
Also out of the 18 starters we return, over the next 2 years 3 of those players will be in the National Top 100 according to Rivals. Not too shabby for a 3A school. don't give away our secrets:D

gtownpoke
02-08-2006, 01:08 PM
not too much of a secret really... there was an article about some of this guys in this senior class on the Longhorns rivals site.

micu98
02-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Does anyone think Devine will be in the running?

BHBrave08
02-08-2006, 01:12 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. maybe a little high on the list.:thinking: Possibly #7.

LH Panther Mom
02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Just so you know, "my" pre-pre-pre-season poll will be up sometime this week. :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

lostaussie
02-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Just so you know, "my" pre-pre-pre-season poll will be up sometime this week. :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh haha. you know we can't wait.

District303aPastPlayer
02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
i still don't see Columbia anywhere in any poll, o well, looks like another year under the radar for the roughnecks

do you honestly think they will be a dominating force in region III? if so then they should be included on the list, but region III is so deep, that they, imo, might have to be left off until further notice.

big daddy russ
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Where is number 8?
Must've deleted it when I was moving everyone around. Oh well, just throw Gilmer in at 8.

SintonFan_inAustin
02-08-2006, 06:24 PM
if u feel ur team didnt get mention just throw them in at no 8 position:cool: As for Sinton this coming season will be hard to speculate where they fit in with the top teams in 3a, right now just wait and see how the program grooms them back into top 20 polls

formermbcouns
02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
Doesn't look right that Marlin isn't anywhere in the poll...I know, they are now 2A...) :

LE FAN
02-10-2006, 10:45 AM

1. CUERO....
2. BELLVILLE....
4. HUTTO...
5. ...CAMERON...
6. CANTON (tentative)...
7. CANYON...
9. WEST ORANGE-STARK...
10. ATLANTA...

OTHERS:
11. Wimberley
12. Bridge City
13. Celina
14. Giddings
15. Sweetwater
16. Graham
17. Monahans
18. Kennedale
19. Jasper
20. Sinton
21. Wharton
22. Ingleside
23. Sweeny
24. Rio Hondo
25. Port Isabel Russ you are correct. Middlebrooks is a great kid. And being this far up in the corner folks dont look at LE that much. Early expectations are very high on this years Leopard squad. Most folks up this way say this team should be better than last years team. Lots of good young talent coming up. Maybe thats why Coach Brady scheduled those 5 (4-A) in non district to see what he really has this year.

pancho villa
02-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Watch out for the Wharton High Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pball
02-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Everyone seems to be overlooking Palestine. They were a very young team last year getting beat by WOS in the second round. This year they will have 16 return starters and a JV coming up that lost only one game.

They have the talent and team speed to be very good. We will know more as the preseason unfolds.

Hallsville – 4A
Kaufman – 3A 2005 Playoffs
Jacksonville – 4A
Henderson – 4A
Rusk – 3A 2005 Playoffs

Trap Bait
02-12-2006, 10:43 AM
You guys are overlooking the 15-0 DI State Champs! Wimberley may have lost 30 seniors, but the majority of those guys stood on the sideline. They will lose a few good ones, but they return an unbelievable lineup. This time last year, Wimberley was not even on the radar!

Bullaholic
02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
It's very, very early, but who do you see as a "top 10" team next year?

I'm hung on a lot of "C's" right now---Celina, Canton, and Cuero for a few. Others?

mustang04
02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
sweetwater

Bullaholic
02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by mustang04
sweetwater

Surprise, surprise. Be honest, Reg....how much "homer" you got loaded in that pick? Not saying that Sweetwater may not be a top 10 team, but are you being "honest"?

wyliegrad04
02-16-2006, 10:57 AM
I don't think Wylie will be a pre-season top 10 but I think they might work their way in by week 7 or 8 or so. They lost a lot of good players but like always, Sandifer is already loading up and ready to go at it again.

DaHop72
02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
sweetwater
Sorry, not likely 04.

District303aPastPlayer
02-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

I'm hung on a lot of "C's" right now---Celina, Canton, and Cuero for a few. Others?

agreed.

injuredinmelee
02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Sorry, not likely 04.
with Green and Banyard back how can they not be top ten? Wylie wont be in there.

pirate4state
02-16-2006, 11:17 AM

I'm hung on a lot of "C's" right now---Celina, Canton, and Cuero for a few. Others? LHPM's favorite team: Wimberley :D

:p

HighSchool Fan
02-16-2006, 11:18 AM

What's Canyon bringing back next year?

District303aPastPlayer
02-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
What's Canyon bringing back next year?

Their QB who threw for like 2600 or someting

CHS_CG
02-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Caldwell :inlove:

mustang04
02-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Surprise, surprise. Be honest, Reg....how much "homer" you got loaded in that pick? Not saying that Sweetwater may not be a top 10 team, but are you being "honest"?

banyard, green, cunnings, rufus mccann, adames, and several others back...why would they NOT be a top ten????

haha...remember this past season, when they were like 19 and i said they were top ten and everyone was like "nah bla bla bla" then at the end of the season everyone was praising them and they lost to the STATE CHAMPS......yall never learn

STANG RED
02-16-2006, 11:39 AM
sweetwater

With our pre-district schedule, if we dont loose any of them, we should at least make top 10 within the first 2 or 3 weeks, if we dont start out there. With all the skill players that we have coming back, we could easily be placed in the top 10 starting out.
I'm very concerned about our pass defense at the beginning of the year though. We may really struggle against Canyon, or any good passing team until the pass D gets settled in. Loosing Carrillo and Pittman from the secondary are going to be some huge shoes to fill. And a good pass D is often the last thing to come around, when you have alot of new faces in the secondary.

mustang04
02-16-2006, 11:41 AM
if yall dont remember, cunnings is a better QB than what birdwell was, who was the QB the majority of the time after KC got hurt

we are talkin a COMPLETE fast backfield in a QB and runningbacks

Sweetwater Red
02-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Losing Fangman and Clayton hurts. Losing
Carillo and Pittman hurts. But, we will be
better next year than we were this year.
Not being over enthusiastic...just realistic.

For anyone not to put us in the top ten of
their poll would be a joke. I believe the
polls that matter (AP for example), will
have us in the top ten.

LE FAN
02-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Boy this could really be a homer thread. Guess I could throw in Liberty Eylau, they made it to the semis and have alot coming back. But i'm not gonna do that, my pick for early top 10 would be Gilmer Buckeyes:)

Gobbla2001
02-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Bellville should be a pretty good team...

Owen B
02-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I predict that Commerce will be among the top ten in 10-3A throughout the 2006 season.

Crimestick
02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
I really think we'll finish in the Top 10, but I don't know if we'll start there.

Manck
02-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Here's what I got.

Sure bets: Cuero, Celina. These two probably get it on name alone, ESPECIALLY in the AP poll. For writers like me that can't see every game, you look for teams you've heard of. These are the two in 3A.

Withholding judgement: Canton. If little Kinne stays, yes. If little Kinne goes, no. They're still a good team without him at QB, but you have to remember that NOBODY else on that team has taken a snap in 3 years.

Not so sure: Sweetwater, Wimberley. What did each team lose? Who comes back? Being farther away from those two, I just haven't kept up with them as much as I do with my "powerhouses" of Cleburne, Joshua, Alvarado, Venus, et al. :D

Should be, but also has potential to be best 7-3 or 6-4 in the entire state: This is my homer call...Gilmer. Kennedy, Brown, Johnson, Buchanon, Goodman, Snow, everyone else. Performance in early non-district will be the tell all, as they have one of the tougher lineups there is. Canton, Daingerfield and Tatum start it off. Atlanta and Center...ehh...still good competition, but nothing like those first three. So they could be a really good team that goes under the radar if they lose early.

Others I wish I had time to know more about: WO-S. Gainesville (I'll get to know more when Week 2 rolls around, and they play Cleburne). Others in Region IV.

Bullaholic
02-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LE FAN
Boy this could really be a homer thread. Guess I could throw in Liberty Eylau, they made it to the semis and have alot coming back. But i'm not gonna do that, my pick for early top 10 would be Gilmer Buckeyes:)

IMO, serious "Homer" picks are o.k., just as long as there is legitimate justification and rationale for it in an objective person's opinion. I think "humorous" or "sentimental" homer picks will be discounted by almost everyone, as usual.

Gobbler Fan
02-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Cuero is going to have some BIG shoes to fill on the line . Losing 1 first team allstate lineman 1 First team all state TE and also a Honorable mention all state lineman as well as a 1st team all distric center . As far as skill positions they will be loaded again. .

Bullaholic
02-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Manck
Here's what I got.

Sure bets: Cuero, Celina. These two probably get it on name alone, ESPECIALLY in the AP poll. For writers like me that can't see every game, you look for teams you've heard of. These are the two in 3A.

Withholding judgement: Canton. If little Kinne stays, yes. If little Kinne goes, no. They're still a good team without him at QB, but you have to remember that NOBODY else on that team has taken a snap in 3 years.

Not so sure: Sweetwater, Wimberley. What did each team lose? Who comes back? Being farther away from those two, I just haven't kept up with them as much as I do with my "powerhouses" of Cleburne, Joshua, Alvarado, Venus, et al. :D

Should be, but also has potential to be best 7-3 or 6-4 in the entire state: This is my homer call...Gilmer. Kennedy, Brown, Johnson, Buchanon, Goodman, Snow, everyone else. Performance in early non-district will be the tell all, as they have one of the tougher lineups there is. Canton, Daingerfield and Tatum start it off. Atlanta and Center...ehh...still good competition, but nothing like those first three. So they could be a really good team that goes under the radar if they lose early.

Others I wish I had time to know more about: WO-S. Gainesville (I'll get to know more when Week 2 rolls around, and they play Cleburne). Others in Region IV.

Very nice post, manck---kind of like I feel---I've got some ideas about some teams, but don't know enough to form a definite opinion yet. That goes with 6 months before the season begins. Hope this thread will give me some "early" info on a lot of teams.

HighSchool Fan
02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
i will be surprised if celina starts the season top 10. i see them somewhere in the 11-18 range.

spiveyrat
02-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Whoever makes it out of Dist 21 in first place should be a top 10 team! :eek:

CenTexSports
02-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Cameron brings back a lot of skilled players but the schedule is brutal. I don't see how they can match the last two years 9-1 and 10-0 regular seasons but the coach has a way of using his talent to their max especially offensively.

They should be an early top ranked team and should be able to go a couple of rounds in the playoff but I think thye don't enter the playoffs in the top twenty because of a couple of tough losses.

NateDawg39
02-16-2006, 04:12 PM
um.... I think that um.... Bridgeport should be in the top 20...and Decatur!!! Just because im bored and want to hear the response I get ....I guess

NateDawg39
02-16-2006, 04:18 PM
What is the word on West? Do they have any good members comin back?

Manck
02-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
What is the word on West? Do they have any good members comin back?

Don't really know yet. I didn't deal with that district much during this past football season, because that's when I moved in.

All I know about West in 2006 is that they play at Venus on Oct. 13. :)

mustang04
02-16-2006, 05:36 PM
ok..it makes me mad when just because i think sweetwater is a top ten 10, im just being a homer.....***

so i guess any single soul that was from USC at the beginning of last season who said that USC would be a top contender was just being a homer...am i getting this straight????

i didnt say "SWEETWATER...BEST TEAM EVER..etc."

i simply said i think theyd be a top 10

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-16-2006, 05:53 PM
looks like this subject was started already!!

Bullaholic
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Looks that way---I just didn't do a thread search. Oh well--Hope everybody can re-state their opinions. I was hoping to get everybody's interest up while it was a little "slow". If not, I'll refer to this thread. maybe the mods wil want to "merge" the threads. Sorry, folks.