PDA

View Full Version : Bryan HC to Port Arthur Memorial...

Milk That Cow
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
interesting....

==============================================

BRYAN'S SEDBERRY FINALIST FOR PORT ARHUR COACHING JOB...

Bryan High head football coach and athletic director Marvin Sedberry confirmed Monday that he has an interview for the same position at Port Arthur Memorial High School.

Sedberry is one of five finalist according to Monday's edition of The Port Arthur News. All five candidates are scheduled to interview Tuesday.

"I don't know anything about being a finalist," Sedberry said.

When asked if he had an interview he said, "I guess that is probably true."

Memorial is looking for a replacement for Dean Colbert, who resigned last month to take the job at Humble Atascocita High School. Colbert was 22-18 in four seasons at Memorial.

"You never want to limit yourself to what may be an opportunity," Sedberry said of applying for the Memorial job. "I will look at things, I think that's just kind of the nature of this business in coaching.

"You look at jobs when they come open. At this point, that's all it is. Right now I am a Bryan Viking, and I am not really looking to leave Bryan. That's not the deal. It is not a situation where I am unhappy with anything here at Bryan, that's not an issue.

"I haven't really talked to anyone other than I received a call and was given a time for the interview. Outside of that all I did was send in basically a resume."

The other finalists include former Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson coach Ronnie Thompson, Port Arthur interim athletic director Shane Sinegal, Diboll head coach and AD Finis Vanover, and Pflugerville Connally defensive coordinator Douglas Wood.

The news that Sedberry was interviewing for another job came as a surprise to most, including former Bryan head football coach and school board member Merrill Green.

"I did not know he was in the running for one," said Green who was president of the school board when Sedberry was hired in 2004. "I am caught by surprise. I did not know anything about it."

Superintendent Mike Cargill expressed similar sentiments when contacted Monday.

"This is the first I have heard of it," Cargill said. "I can't say nobody knew, but I certainly didn't know. And nobody around me would know because they would have told me. It comes as a total surprise to me.

"He's been a good coach for us. He's a good person and a good coach and I'd hate to see him go. I think he's done a good job."

Sedberry came to Bryan from Greenville High School in February of 2004 to replace Marty Criswell, who coached at Bryan for 12 years before being reassigned in January of the same year.

Sedberry agreed to a two-year contract for $92,000 per year along with the use of a car.

Colbert was making $76,578 with a $2,160 car allowance when he resigned from Memorial. The salary for Colbert's replacement is advertised between $50,818 and $72,455.

In Sedberry's two seasons, the Vikings posted records of 6-5 and 4-6, after going 0-10 and 3-7 the previous two seasons. Bryan made the playoffs in Sedberry's first season, the first postseason trip since 2000.

"We would hate to see him leave," Green said. "He has been here two years and has done a good job, and we're obviously pleased with what he has done.

"Having been a coach myself I guess I have some sort of empathy, or at least an understanding of how this coaching business works. I wouldn't want to keep anybody from getting an advancement, if that's what he feels like it might be."

Sedberry was hired by then-superintendent Herman Smith, whom Sedberry had worked for in Greenville before Smith took the superintendent position in Bryan.

In two stints at Greenville, Sedberry was 71-53-1, winning five district titles. Greenville had 10 straight losing seasons before Sedberry took over.

Before being hired at Greenville, Sedberry was the head coach at Beaumont Central (1988-92), where he was 30-13, taking Central to the playoffs three times.

He also was the head coach at Wilmer-Hutchins (1986-88) and Dallas Carter (2001)

"I really didn't have any ties [to the area] when I worked at Central," Sedberry said. "At that time in my career it was an opportunity to go to what was a large 5A school with a lot of talent.

"I still have friends down in that area, and we talk from time to time. Outside of that, as far as family ties, my family is in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area."

Memorial, which turned in an enrollment of 2,410 for the recently released realignment, will compete in District 21-5A.

Bryan, at 3,764, has the largest enrollment in District 13-5A.

Crimestick
02-07-2006, 07:22 PM
That's a death sentence over there. Nothing but turmoil. When you look at the talent that comes from that school and see how poorly they play together, it's sad. The superintendent just resigned, and the school board might be dissolved and replaced by a state-mandated "management team."

Good luck to ya, man!