PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren Rips Refs

Bullaholic
02-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Coach Mike Holmgren told the homecoming crowd that some of the officials' calls from Sunday's 21-10 loss still rankled.

"We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers," Holmgren said. "I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well."

Updated: Feb. 7, 2006, 10:56 AM ET
Associated Press

This will probably cost ol' Mike a couple of bucks---but, I imagine he knew that before he made this statement and didn't care.

Adidas410s
02-07-2006, 12:37 PM
he's thining that ' if my words can change things for the better then i've accomplished something'

Phil C
02-07-2006, 12:43 PM
There may be something to what he is saying because he has had time to review the game and look at the calls.

kaorder1999
02-07-2006, 02:37 PM
it doesnt matter he needs to be a professional and refrain from saying things like that in public.

Jason1725
02-07-2006, 02:40 PM
He is nothing but a sore losing classless A**clown. Him not shaking Cowhers hand after the game and then blaming the refs is funny. Wait! Stevens just dropped another pass, the refs must have blocked it.:doh:

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
it doesnt matter he needs to be a professional and refrain from saying things like that in public.

i don't see a problem with calling a spade a spade. to many people want to be politcally correct these days.

JasperDog94
02-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i don't see a problem with calling a spade a spade. to many people want to be politcally correct these days. True. If nothing gets said, then nothing gets done.

Macarthur
02-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm kinda torn on this one. Probably the best thing would have been to file a complaint with the league and not say a thing in public. However, as someone said, unless there is external pressure the league may not do anything.

There were two calls that directly took points off the board for Seattle. The phantom pass interference and the rediculous holding penalty. Those two plays totally changed the complexion of the game.

whtfbplaya
02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
classless!

cheatchu
02-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Just another bad sport and sore LOSER whining and crying instead of admitting that the reason that they lost is cause the other team was better and made the plays.

Last time I checked The refs didnt have anything to do with stevens dropping big passes, the refs didnt have anything to do with parkers 75 yard superbowl record run, the refs didnt have anything to do with the Randle El's pass to Hines Ward, and the refs didnt have anything to do with hasselback being sacked 3 tunes and being intercepted. The Steelers D outplayed the Seahawks offense, and the Steelers outplayed the seagulls as a team.

Chief Ohera
02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
good job, mr. mike, you were right in what you said, i would have felt the same way,
everyone not just mike, is ripping the officals, the whole media is saying what a horrible job they did, man were they bad,
way to go mike. i take pride in what you said,
so brothers, until next time............

lostaussie
02-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by cheatchu
Just another bad sport and sore LOSER whining and crying instead of admitting that the reason that they lost is cause the other team was better and made the plays.

Last time I checked The refs didnt have anything to do with stevens dropping big passes, the refs didnt have anything to do with parkers 75 yard superbowl record run, the refs didnt have anything to do with the Randle El's pass to Hines Ward, and the refs didnt have anything to do with hasselback being sacked 3 tunes and being intercepted. The Steelers D outplayed the Seahawks offense, and the Steelers outplayed the seagulls as a team. hey, i could care less either way. but everybody who posted on here bashing holmgren seems to be a steeler fan. mike had some good gripes. like the push off on the touchdown pass. like the bogus holding call on the 3rd and what ever. the steelers were probably the better team, but don't get on your homer soapbox and say that there weren't some brutal calls in the game.

pirate4state
02-07-2006, 11:49 PM
it doesnt matter he needs to be a professional and refrain from saying things like that in public. I agree.

Ranger Mom
02-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Jason1725
He is nothing but a sore losing classless A**clown. Him not shaking Cowhers hand after the game and then blaming the refs is funny. Wait! Stevens just dropped another pass, the refs must have blocked it.:doh:

He didn't shake his hand??? Now THAT is classless, IMO!!

donjuan
02-08-2006, 06:36 AM
There were three really bad calls. The holding call on the pass down to the one or two yard line. The off. pass interference in the endzone that wiped out a touchdown. The "blocking" below the waist where the Seattle qb was actually making the tackle. I don't like people whining about outcomes either, but when you watch the replay tape of these games, Seattle took a royal screwing.

cheatchu
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Whats the argument with the pass interference, becuase what i saw was the guy push the defender away and catch the ball. Im just wondering what the people that disagree with the call think and why they disagree with it.

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 11:28 AM
the refs didnt have anything to do with the Randle El's pass to Hines Ward Actually they did. Rothlesburger (sp?) threw an illegal cut block that wasn't called. I guess they made up for it by calling it on Hasselback.:rolleyes:

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Whats the argument with the pass interference, becuase what i saw was the guy push the defender away and catch the ball. Im just wondering what the people that disagree with the call think and why they disagree with it. There was separation, but both players extended arms. If you call pass interference on one, you have to call it on both.

lostaussie
02-08-2006, 11:48 AM
well like i said earlier. i didn't care who won. holmgren could have also went about his complaining a different way. but there were issues with some of the game calls.

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
The big problem with going through the league is that the league just sends you an "I"m sorry we screwed up" letter. Nothing gets changed. When enough people in the public get ticked off, then the league gets a credibility problem. That's when things start to change.

lostaussie
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
The big problem with going through the league is that the league just sends you an "I"m sorry we screwed up" letter. Nothing gets changed. When enough people in the public get ticked off, then the league gets a credibility problem. That's when things start to change. i agree. i think holmgren went about it the way he thought would be the most beneficial for getting changes. biggest change they need to make is the hiring of full time officials. not part time guys which is what they have now.

bhtrainer
02-08-2006, 01:20 PM
i wonder how much thats gonna cost him???

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 01:34 PM
A lot more than you or I will make this year.

kaorder1999
02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i agree. i think holmgren went about it the way he thought would be the most beneficial for getting changes. biggest change they need to make is the hiring of full time officials. not part time guys which is what they have now.

How do you go about doing that? I've never heard of a "full-time" ref.

JasperDog94
02-08-2006, 03:46 PM
That's because they don't have them...yet.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Bad calls no doubt about it.

Macarthur
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM

I completely disagree. Seattle totally outplayed Pitt. The difference is Pitt made big plays and Seattle didn't. And when they did, they were called back.

Last time I checked The refs didnt have anything to do with stevens dropping big passes, the refs didnt have anything to do with parkers 75 yard superbowl record run,

True on Stephens, but not entirely true on Parker. Go back and look if you can. The block that sprung him was more of a hold, in my mind, than the one that was called on Seattle.

the refs didnt have anything to do with the Randle El's pass to Hines Ward, and the refs didnt have anything to do with hasselback being sacked 3 tunes and being intercepted.

Again, not entirely true. Ben probably should have been called for an illegal chop on that play.

The Steelers D outplayed the Seahawks offense, and the Steelers outplayed the seagulls as a team.

You must have watched a different game than me.

kaorder1999
02-09-2006, 11:37 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/thumb-stealer4vo.jpg

lostaussie
02-10-2006, 09:07 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c399/kaorder1999/thumb-stealer4vo.jpg That's funny

Pudlugger
02-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by donjuan
There were three really bad calls. The holding call on the pass down to the one or two yard line. The off. pass interference in the endzone that wiped out a touchdown. The "blocking" below the waist where the Seattle qb was actually making the tackle. I don't like people whining about outcomes either, but when you watch the replay tape of these games, Seattle took a royal screwing.

I'm a Pittsburg fan and I agree with donjuan here. There were three bad calls which unfortunately shifted the momentum to the Steelers. It's not sour grapes or whining to recognize poor officiating. The Refs spoiled this game. Who knows what outcome might have occured had they let them play football instead of interjecting themselves like this? It was a botch job and it's not unsportsmanlike to recognize it as such. True, Stevens dropped some passes, Holmgren made some poor decisions and Hasselback was intercepted. All true, just as it is true the Zebras dropped the ball as well. It's not whinning here to see what was obvious, but merely being honest.

CenTexSports
02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I hate instant replay and I think the Refs did the same kind of job that is done every week in high school through the pros. They went out and did their best. It won't be long before the NFL is like the NBA. Unless someone gets hurt, let them play. There are rules and it is a very difficult game to officiate.

The fumble by Ben was correctly reverse by replay but I still would rather have the game played with all human participant and not a lot of second guessing and replay.

Macarthur
02-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I hate instant replay and I think the Refs did the same kind of job that is done every week in high school through the pros. They went out and did their best. It won't be long before the NFL is like the NBA. Unless someone gets hurt, let them play. There are rules and it is a very difficult game to officiate.

The fumble by Ben was correctly reverse by replay but I still would rather have the game played with all human participant and not a lot of second guessing and replay.

Would you feel the same if your favorite team lost a big game because of a blatantly missed call?

CenTexSports
02-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Yes, because even though I love sports, my life does not revolve around a single win or lose. And since I don't bet on sporting events, it is not that big a deal. I think the people most affected are those that lose money betting on the games.

Macarthur
02-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Yes, because even though I love sports, my life does not revolve around a single win or lose. And since I don't bet on sporting events, it is not that big a deal. I think the people most affected are those that lose money betting on the games.

I'm not one of them, but just because someone's life does revolve around the game and maybe place the occational bet, does that mean they have no right for the game to play itself out fairly?

I think you're making a generalization that has nothing to do with the real issue. The issue is, we have the technology to avoid catastrophic mistakes that cost teams games. I just don't understand why someone would be against that. If your team scores, they should be credited with the score.

sinton66
02-10-2006, 07:37 PM

Last time I checked The refs didnt have anything to do with stevens dropping big passes, the refs didnt have anything to do with parkers 75 yard superbowl record run, the refs didnt have anything to do with the Randle El's pass to Hines Ward, and the refs didnt have anything to do with hasselback being sacked 3 tunes and being intercepted. The Steelers D outplayed the Seahawks offense, and the Steelers outplayed the seagulls as a team.

I'm not sure what game YOU were watching, but the Steelers definitely were NOT the better team. And, I disagree on the Randle El pass to Ward. If you watched the replay, the refs FAILED to call a block below the waist by Rothlesberger. He cut blocked a defender in exactly the same manner that Hasselback was flagged for. That TD should have been called back.

The critics including Holmgren are right, the officials did a horrible job in this game.

lostaussie
02-10-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Would you feel the same if your favorite team lost a big game because of a blatantly missed call? neither was my favorite team and i didn't cheer for either team. i watched because i am a football fan. what i saw were some big calls that went against seattle that changed the game. i am not complaining for either side. i didn't care. the calls could have went seattle's way and they may have still lost. so be it. but if they are gonna have instant replay they shouldn't have restrictions on what can be reviewed. if it is wrong it is wrong. if they want the officials to be the judge and jury i'm ok with that also. the nfl just needs to make up their mind.

Old Tiger
02-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Coach Mike Holmgren told the homecoming crowd that some of the officials' calls from Sunday's 21-10 loss still rankled.

"We knew it was going to be tough going up against the Pittsburgh Steelers," Holmgren said. "I didn't know we were going to have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well."

Updated: Feb. 7, 2006, 10:56 AM ET
Associated Press

This will probably cost ol' Mike a couple of bucks---but, I imagine he knew that before he made this statement and didn't care. I thought this comment was funny and ludacris

AggieJohn
02-11-2006, 02:23 AM
you know that when you make a statment like that you will have to pay, that being said it's been like 4 or five days since he's said it and we haven't heard anything