PDA

View Full Version : More on Austin Johnston and the 3A to 4A

Milk That Cow
02-06-2006, 11:05 PM
JOHNSTON MOVES BACK UP TO CLASS 4A

Rams' move from 3A will create nine-team 4A district.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Johnston High School is expected to be cleared by the University Interscholastic League to be bumped back up from District 18-3A into Class 4A.

Johnston, which had been moved down to Class 3A in last week's UIL biennial realignment, will return to District 17-4A along with Crockett, Elgin, Lanier, LBJ, Manor, McCallum, Reagan and Travis.

The Rams turned in an enrollment of 714 students, which placed them right in the middle of the 3A enrollment parameters of 415-949 students.

Johnston's enrollment number, however, was not accurate, which will prompt the move. The UIL will release several schools moving up, but none of them will be moving because of schools appealing to do so, said UIL spokesman Kim Rogers.

"These changes that are coming out are being switched because of miscalculations," Rogers said.

Phone calls to Johnston principal Celina Estrada and football coach David Garza were not returned Monday.

Johnston's expected departure from 18-3A has left those coaches scrambling to fill a new open date on their schedules. Most schools across the state filled out their schedules and non-district opponents last week.

"This was a terrible deal for us, after realignment. We all were trying to get games with the 4A district that Johnston moved into," said Hutto Coach Lee Penland. "I thought I was getting a raw deal because my game with Johnston was scheduled for Week 9. Now I have that as an open date."

But nobody got it worse than Taylor, which now has to find three games to play.

"Because the Austin Independent School District has this oversight, it has caused a major fallout. I'm hustling for games," said Taylor Coach Rick Cobia. "We were going to play Travis, Reagan and Johnston. We lost Johnston because of this oversight. And then we lost Reagan and Travis because they're now in a nine-team district and can't play us."

LH Panther Mom
02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
I still don't get how you "miscalculate" over 235 kids! :rolleyes: :doh:

sicem74
02-06-2006, 11:29 PM
o wow now its just the mighty yoemen, hippos,panthers,ducks, and tigers wow

Old Tiger
02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
As far as mascots go our district has it all...except bulldogs and eagles..

TexasHSFootball
02-07-2006, 12:16 AM
well there is always the option of scheduling Escuela Preparatoria De Monterey :devil:

just make sure you find the right one.. there are two of them.. one is a High School secundaria and the other is universidad

http://texashsfootball.com/board/style_emoticons/default/laughing1.gif

Black_Magic
02-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I still don't get how you "miscalculate" over 235 kids! :rolleyes: :doh: Wylie Has done it for years.. I dont see how it happens either..:clap: :clap:

Johnnypaycheck
02-07-2006, 09:56 AM
looks like their PE classes were playing Hide and seek and did a very good job of hiding...

olddawggreen
02-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I still don't get how you "miscalculate" over 235 kids! :rolleyes: :doh:

Thats how many are absent at Johnston on any given day. ;)

District303aPastPlayer
02-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Wylie Has done it for years.. I dont see how it happens either..:clap: :clap:

:clap: :clap: