PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries killed by UIL Realignment

VWG
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Number one on my list is Stephenville - Brownwood. These guys have been playing each other for something like 60 years straight, only missing two years in the late sixties, until now. What a cryin' shame. Can't the coaches of these schools get together, tell whoever they promised to play in pre-district.... "sorry, but I gotta schedule Brownwood/Stephenville"...?
I read in the FW Star Telegram that both coaches couldn't work it out, etc... IMO that is BS.
Another one is Snyder/Sweetwater. Give me a break guys, those teams should play every year regardless of what district they are thrown in, or if they might meet up in the first round of the playoffs.
Coaches can work their schedules to make sure rivalry games remain intact. Why don't they? What other rivalry games got dusted this upcoming season?

SnyTigBaseB07
02-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Number one on my list is Stephenville - Brownwood. These guys have been playing each other for something like 60 years straight, only missing two years in the late sixties, until now. What a cryin' shame. Can't the coaches of these schools get together, tell whoever they promised to play in pre-district.... "sorry, but I gotta schedule Brownwood/Stephenville"...?
I read in the FW Star Telegram that both coaches couldn't work it out, etc... IMO that is BS.
Another one is Snyder/Sweetwater. Give me a break guys, those teams should play every year regardless of what district they are thrown in, or if they might meet up in the first round of the playoffs.
Coaches can work their schedules to make sure rivalry games remain intact. Why don't they? What other rivalry games got dusted this upcoming season?

Losing S'water was a blessing and a heartbreaker, we're glad they're not a district game but we still wanna play them i mean you CANT BREAK UP THE SNYDER/S'WATER/WYLIE threat!!!

NateDawg39
02-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Its time for new rivalries to start.

VWG
02-06-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
Its time for new rivalries to start.

So it would be ok with you for Bridgeport and Decatur to not play if they weren't in the same district?

District303aPastPlayer
02-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Sinton/Odem
Sinton/Taft
both now officially dead.

Welcome back Sinton/Cuero!

sahen
02-06-2006, 11:20 PM
Liberty/Barber's Hill....but that really wasnt realignment, just Barber's Hill is now 4a...

RMAC
02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Breckenridge called us last week and said that they didn't want to play us. . . in favor of Midland Christian! I guess that you get tired of not beating a certain team. . . in anything.

LH Panther Mom
02-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Both Wimberley & Burnet have remained on our schedule. :)

Rainman
02-06-2006, 11:28 PM
Barbers Hill lost a number of storied games because of the move to 4A including the Marsh Rights game against now 2A Anahuac.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Liberty/Barber's Hill....but that really wasnt realignment, just Barber's Hill is now 4a...

I though Breck beat you guys in Basketball the other day????

piratebg
02-07-2006, 12:44 AM
the Gregory-Portland/Calallen rivallry has gone from a battle for first place to a battle for just bragging rights.

District303aPastPlayer
02-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
the Gregory-Portland/Calallen rivallry has gone from a battle for first place to a battle for just bragging rights.

possibly a playoff matchup?

bulldogbark
02-07-2006, 12:57 AM
for some it just made them stronger

Silsbee Jasper
WO-S Jasper
BC Jasper

been going on for years and years

District303aPastPlayer
02-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
for some it just made them stronger

Silsbee Jasper
WO-S Jasper
BC Jasper

been going on for years and years

homer :D

sahen
02-07-2006, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I though Breck beat you guys in Basketball the other day????
not sure what ur talkin about, im in college so i have no idea whats going on in liberty/barber's hill much anymore but they will finish out this year in the same district but change next year.....

3afan
02-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by VWG

you blamed the UIL in your title but in the text you got it right - blame the schools for not continuing to play each other. The UIL cannot make the alignment decisions based on some rivalries, they simply can't.

olddawggreen
02-07-2006, 08:36 AM
Rivalries come and go and come around again.

Burnet's biggest rival used to be Marble Falls, that ended when Marble Falls went 4A. They didn't continue to play as a preseason game, because frankley, the rivalry had gotten to hot, things were getting out of habd between some of the students. Now after a good cooling off period, Burnet has moved to 4A and the rivalry continues, hopefully in a more healthy way.:D

In the mean time...... Burnet developed a new rivalry with Liberty Hill, which has really been great and has continued during preseason.:)

STANG RED
02-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by VWG

Its not as big of a deal to these coaches as it is to the fans. How many or these coaches grew up in the town they are coaching in? Very few I'm sure. Their tenure at any place is temporary anyway, and loosing to a big rival only tends to shorten their stay, so they are not nearly as motivated to make the matchup happen as the fans would like.
Also, the UIL doesnt help matters. Big rivals are usually traditional district foes. While the UIL is dicking around with realignment, the coaches still have to try and schedule pre district games to the best of their ability. By the time realignment is done, one or both teams may not have an opening left that will fit with the other, if they end up in different districts.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by sahen
not sure what ur talkin about, im in college so i have no idea whats going on in liberty/barber's hill much anymore but they will finish out this year in the same district but change next year.....

Opps, I meant to quote RMAC who was talking noise about Graham beating Breck in every sport. Sorry, I guess thats what I get for trying to get smart. :)

footballgal
02-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Port Isabel won't be playing loooong time rival, Los Fresnos Falcons! :mad: ....well, mostly because they are in their 2nd year of being 5A. But, we can still blame it, on the realignment. :D

Phil C
02-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Sinton/Odem
Sinton/Taft
both now officially dead.

Welcome back Sinton/Cuero!

We can't really say that the change in the aligments or reclassifications killed these two long time rivalries (especially the one with Taft). Taft and Odem chose to end them not that I blame them because we were whipping them consistently.

Maroon87
02-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
possibly a playoff matchup?

Could be...probably second round.

RMAC
02-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Opps, I meant to quote RMAC who was talking noise about Graham beating Breck in every sport. Sorry, I guess thats what I get for trying to get smart. :)

Yeah, but I don't count that. . . , guess we both have mud on our faces now :D

Brahma73
02-07-2006, 12:52 PM
From 20AAA:

Football
Bellville vs. Sealy lost
Bellville vs. La Grange renewed (How 'bout it Pudlugger?!?!)
(After last year's playoffs, Bellville vs. Giddings has potential)

Basketball (Boys)
Hempstead vs. Navasota lost. They play once more in Hempstead on Valentines Day, possibly with the district championship on the line. Always a war. Get there early.

Volleyball
Bellville vs. Columbus lost

Baseball & Softball
Bellville vs. La Grange renewed

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Yeah, but I don't count that. . . , guess we both have mud on our faces now :D

A little mud never hurt too bad so I guess we are ok!

Mustangpride09
02-07-2006, 05:30 PM
Breckenridge called us last week and said that they didn't want to play us. . . in favor of Midland Christian! I guess that you get tired of not beating a certain team. . . in anything.

At least they made the playoffs.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09

Ouch~

Black_Magic
02-07-2006, 06:05 PM
At least they made the playoffs. Strong words. may want to be carefull at this point kid. You got Clyde( gave you a close call last year) Wylie ( do i need to say more about them?) Comanche ( Playoff team ) and Breck( good team) in your district and only three get out Loose two games and you could stay home... Becarefull of the amo you give.. or the mud you sling at this new district untill you make it through. They may take your statement in a few months and make you regret saying it...

raider4life
02-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Brahma73
From 20AAA:

Football
Bellville vs. Sealy lost

Basketball (Boys)
Hempstead vs. Navasota lost. They play once more in Hempstead on Valentines Day, possibly with the district championship on the line. Always a war. Get there early.

Volleyball

Baseball & Softball

So we don't mean anything to you guys? i see how it is. too bad we wont be playing ya'll in anything next year :( Oh and the ol' Colorado River Shoot Out between Rice and Columbus is gone. well unless you count a scrimmage as a game.

RMAC
02-08-2006, 12:41 AM

I'll take missing the playoffs my sr. year for beating them for 6 years any day. Oh yeah, they only made it because somebody else beat us, not them.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Actually, I have word from a good source that the Breckenridge-Graham rivalry was stopped because of the conduct of the FANS and other off the field/court factor. The sport and rivalry have always gone on well when it was played, but unfortunately the actions of the sidelines ruin a great thing. I know it goes both ways, but the actions of some fans from Graham during the past games (different sports) were key factors in Breckenridge's decision.

I have also heard this isnt meant to be indefinite, and hopefully the game can be put back in during the next reschedule.

Once again, I don't live in town, so this is just from what I've heard. I can understand why it is cancelled, but two of my best friends I've met in college were from Graham, and we're both devastated that the rivalry (which goes back over 70 years) is not being played. I do support the decision, but I plan on doing what I can to help get it back on track any way possible.

It is sad that the actions of an immature few ruin a rich and historic rivalry for the guys on the field who actually play the game.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-08-2006, 01:19 AM
I'll take missing the playoffs my sr. year for beating them for 6 years any day. Oh yeah, they only made it because somebody else beat us, not them.

Breck won the 4 years before that, and hold a lead in the all time series. Basically the point is, it comes and goes in streaks. We'll have our time, it will unfortunately just have to wait at least 2 years.

RMAC
02-08-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Breck won the 4 years before that, and hold a lead in the all time series. Basically the point is, it comes and goes in streaks. We'll have our time, it will unfortunately just have to wait at least 2 years.

Yeah, you make a good point. I'm sad to see it go as well. Do you know if it's in all sports or just football?

BreckTxLonghorn
02-08-2006, 02:03 AM
my guess would bemost head to head sports are gone, but golf, track, etc, will be allowed.

bhtrainer
02-08-2006, 08:02 AM
we lost some good ones but not because of reallignment... b/c we moved up but we lost... Liberty and the "battle of the marsh" lol with Anahuac....but we got to keep Huffman...lol

VWG
02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
The Breckenridge - Graham deal is total crap.
Again... why would two teams that have played each other for 60 plus years end it. Think there weren't any "fan problems" or raucous student activity during the 70's or 80's, etc......?
For a school to pull out doesn't make sense to me.
I will say the same argument goes for Stephenville-Brownwood and Snyder-Sweetwater.

District303aPastPlayer
02-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by VWG
The Breckenridge - Graham deal is total crap.
Again... why would two teams that have played each other for 60 plus years end it. Think there weren't any "fan problems" or raucous student activity during the 70's or 80's, etc......?
For a school to pull out doesn't make sense to me.
I will say the same argument goes for Stephenville-Brownwood and Snyder-Sweetwater.

it wont to a fan...

Sinton Taft went on for 80 years... i believe... and its over now

Gobbla2001
02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
VWG, Stephenville and Brownwood weren't in each other's districts the past two years...

VWG
02-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
VWG, Stephenville and Brownwood weren't in each other's districts the past two years...

That is true.. but in the FW Star Telegram both coaches admitted that they thought they would be put back in a district together.
Still... for them not to play every year is just wrong. The coaches should schedule this game. Huge crowds, old historic rivalry between two good programs, etc.....

Pudlugger
02-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Brahma73
From 20AAA:

Football
Bellville vs. Sealy lost

Basketball (Boys)

Volleyball

Baseball & Softball

This will definately be a contentious matchup again. It will be interesting to see how the Leps stack up against Bellville with their new offense and Coach. Bellville seems to have no shortage of good players. The Leps should have a pretty solid O Line next year. I don't know much about their D, but they have always been strong so I imagine they will be again next Fall. The learning curve for a new offensive scheme is 2-3 seasons long. They went 2-8 the first year and 4-6 last year against a tough schedule. I would expect that they will make a good run at a playoff berth in 2006.

3afan
02-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by VWG
Still... for them not to play every year is just wrong. The coaches should schedule this game. Huge crowds, old historic rivalry between two good programs, etc.....

yep - blame the schools, not the UIL

Gobbla2001
02-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by VWG
That is true.. but in the FW Star Telegram both coaches admitted that they thought they would be put back in a district together.

ah hell, no message