PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!! Rolling Stones Were Censored Twice During Halftime Show!!!

ILS1
02-06-2006, 02:24 PM
NEW YORK (AFP) - Age, it seems, has mellowed the Rolling Stones, who agreed to have their half-time performance at Sunday's Super Bowl censored twice for lyrics deemed too sexually explicit for family viewing.

The National Football League (NFL) said Monday that the British rock and roll legends had been consulted about the cuts prior to their appearance at the championship game between the Seattle Seahawks and Pittsburgh Steelers.

In an apparent compromise, Mick Jagger actually sang the offending lyrics, but the NFL, which produced the show, switched off his mike so that they went unheard in the stadium and on the broadcast by the ABC television network.

"As planned and agreed upon with the Stones, we turned down Mick's mike for two specific seconds," said NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy.

The cuts included lyrics from the songs "Start Me Up" and "Rough Justice."

"The Stones were fine with it. They didn't have an issue. Mick knew that's what our plan was," McCarthy said.

Producers have maintained tight controls on the content of the Super Bowl's half-time show ever since Janet Jackson's right breast was exposed two years ago in what was famously blamed on a "wardrobe malfunction."

The incident, which was broadcast to millions of TV viewers worldwide, led to the CBS network -- the broadcaster for that year -- being fined 550,000 dollars.

This year, ABC showed the half-time event on a five-second delay, the first time such a precaution against profanity or Jackson-like exposures had been taken in Super Bowl history.

ABC spokesman Mark Mandel said the network had played no part in censoring the Stones.

"ABC had nothing to do with it," Mandel said. "There was nothing that was heard in the stadium that required ABC to do anything."

The Stones sang three songs on Sunday, wrapping up with the anthemic "Satisfaction" which went untouched by the censors.

"Here's one we could have done at Super Bowl I," Jagger, 62, said as he introduced the golden oldie.

"Everything comes to those who wait," he added -- again without interference.

Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060206/ts_afp/afpentertainmentus)

Old Tiger
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Any way you put it they still sucked...

ILS1
02-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Totally agree!!!

JHS_c/o_06'
02-06-2006, 06:04 PM
well when linkin park or lil john or pat green or whoever you listen to is around for 45 years......then yall can say the stones sucked.....but probably not....cause they will still be there.

Even if you dont like the music....you gotta see the fact that they are 60-70 and still doing what they are doing with more energy then you have....i mean...the drummer is like 70 and had cancer....beat it...and is still touring.

HighSchool Fan
02-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
...the drummer is like 70 and had cancer....beat it...and is still touring.

that's good for him and his family, but they still stunk up the place.

AP Panther Fan
02-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR

Absolutely! They reminded me of "The Night of the Living Dead"

They looked horrible, sounded horrible and should have stayed in retirement. One of the worst half-time shows ever.:rolleyes:

ILS1
02-06-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
well when linkin park or lil john or pat green or whoever you listen to is around for 45 years......then yall can say the stones sucked.....but probably not....cause they will still be there.

Even if you dont like the music....you gotta see the fact that they are 60-70 and still doing what they are doing with more energy then you have....i mean...the drummer is like 70 and had cancer....beat it...and is still touring.

I'm in my mid 30's and I dig some of the Stones music that is recorded on CD!!! Mick Jagger just CAN'T sing LIVE!!!

:D