PDA

View Full Version : Couple things about the Super Bowl...

big daddy russ
02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
1.) Seahawks got gypped. Over and over and over. At least three major plays, including a TD. Seattle dominated the first half, but were bent over by the zebras.

2.) John Madden is the Bill Walton of the NFL. ABC should've called the Butler Hospital a decade ago, because his mind left him a while back. Why the hell would you go for the FG first if you were in Seattle's situation? I still don't understand that logic, even after hearing him ramble on about it. In my (functioning) mind, if you're driving and still have a shot at the TD, you don't let that and just go for three. You're basically playing not to lose at the point.

Further proof that Madden is a complete idiot could be found at the end of the first half, when he was wondering why Pittsburgh took a timeout after Seattle's clock mismanagement.

I guess the Walton reference was kind of harsh. At least Madden can chalk it up to senility.

bulldogman06
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
I agree with you on the madden thing, why go for a field goal??? but i dont think seattle got gypped, they couldnt finish and if you remember the steelers opening drive they had 2 penalties on it and went three and out. the roethlisburger TD was good, he broke the plane. the steelers just ended up playin good when it counted.

Crimestick
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
That game was a snoozer.

lostaussie
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
what part of the game was seattle gypped? i could care less who won but i thought the big plays of the game were called correctly. the only argument they really had was the first half offensive interference call. that was pretty ticky-tacky.

bulldogman06
02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
ok that one was questionable but its not like the refs didnt call that both ways, they didnt let pittsburgh push all over seattle or anything.

football4life
02-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Crimestick
That game was a snoozer.

Word.

Leopards,class of 75
02-05-2006, 11:23 PM
That game was a snoozer. For sure!!!

Bulldog_12
02-05-2006, 11:25 PM
That game was a snoozer.

Agreed! 100%

Gobbla2001
02-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Let's see..... A bad, no, horrible holding call that took Seattle from First and Goal on the 2...

Also, the QB risks his neck and dives to make a tackle, but they call an illegal cut on him? His diving caused the ball runner to jump up in the air and lose his footing, he then fell down... THE QB CAUSED THE TACKLE, YET HE'S CALLED FOR AN ILLEGAL CUT??? Gimme a break, they weren't playing chess out there, it's a freaking contact sport...

Which brings me to the next one... No helmet to helmet called on that one sack??? Dude's helmet popped the QB in the facemask... I don't like the rule anymore than anyone else, accidents happen, but it's a rule, and that was a picture-perfect example, shoulda been called...

When their QB lost the ball after clearly hitting the ground, the refs called it a turnover... luckily there is a review and it had to be overturned...

It was not called both ways whatsoever...

HOWEVER, Seattle had their chances... there was no bad call when the interception was thrown etc... You gotta keep playing...

MVP goes to the Zebra, though... no matter how much you deny it, Pitt woulda had a harder time winnin' without those bad calls...

RMAC
02-05-2006, 11:51 PM
The Pit TD in the first half was just like the Tech-OU game. There was no evidence either way to change the call, ergo, it had to stay the same.

Bull's-eye
02-05-2006, 11:53 PM
The most crucial call might of been the holding call on Seattle's right tackle. Seattle had just completed a pass to the 1 yard line and were about to take the lead. After showing the replay, Madden even said it wasn't holding. In fact, I thought the DE could of been called for offsides.

MHSvarsity2007
02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
That game was a snoozer.

i concurr.

STANG RED
02-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
The most crucial call might of been the holding call on Seattle's right tackle. Seattle had just completed a pass to the 1 yard line and were about to take the lead. After showing the replay, Madden even said it wasn't holding. In fact, I thought the DE could of been called for offsides.

I thought he was offsides on that play, and the play before that as well. The holding call was a little ticky tacky also.
The worst call though, was the blocking below the waist call on Hasselback! That was a joke! Hell, he made the tackle.
The Steelers would have probably won anyway. Seattle didnt play well enough to win.

3afan
02-06-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

When their QB lost the ball after clearly hitting the ground, the refs called it a turnover... luckily there is a review and it had to be overturned...

there was no problem with this call ... if no official saw Hasselback touched, then its a fumble ... and obviously none did. then the replay worked like its supposed to and got it right.

3afan
02-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

2.) John Madden is the Bill Walton of the NFL. ABC should've called the Butler Hospital a decade ago, because his mind left him a while back. Why the hell would you go for the FG first if you were in Seattle's situation? I still don't understand that logic, even after hearing him ramble on about it. In my (functioning) mind, if you're driving and still have a shot at the TD, you don't let that and just go for three. You're basically playing not to lose at the point.

I assume you are talking about at the end of the game when Seattle needed 2 scores ..... if thats the case the Madden & Michaels were absolutely correct.

Once you are in position and are confident you can make a FG, then do it. Why? Because if you make it, and the odds of making a FG are much greater than scoring a TD in the NFL where the kickers are so good, then you still have a chance. You still need to get the onsides kick and score a TD, but you will have to get the onsides kick anyway. If they dont go for the FG and do not score a TD, then game over. If they kick the FG and make it (and again, the odds are much greater to make a FG than score a TD in the NFL), then they still have a chance.

What happened? they didnt make a TD, so game over. If they had kicked the FG then they would have still had a chance.

Phil C
02-06-2006, 08:51 AM
The Super Bowl had very little chance to live up to the hype and suspense after that great Rose Bowl game we saw last month.

neck_06
02-06-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
1.) Seahawks got gypped. Over and over and over. At least three major plays, including a TD. Seattle dominated the first half, but were bent over by the zebras.

yeah, yeah, yeah. blame it on the refs, that always makes you feel better.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
02-06-2006, 09:54 AM
What about the "pass interference" in the enzone in the 1st quarter? If that's pass interference, then Michael Irvin makes about 5 catches in his entire career.

Gobbla2001
02-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
there was no problem with this call ... if no official saw Hasselback touched, then its a fumble ... and obviously none did. then the replay worked like its supposed to and got it right.

You are right, hadn't thought that one out...

TexasHSFootball
02-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Here is why I cant stand watching Pro Football...

The NFL IMHO is too political. I think the NFL and the officials tried every way they could to hand Pittsburgh the title.. they didnt want to allow Seattle to win because they knew it would be a PR nightmare. Example.. the lame goal line TD call and the block below the waist call that was not a block below the waist.

big daddy russ
02-06-2006, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
... but i dont think seattle got gypped, they couldnt finish and if you remember the steelers opening drive they had 2 penalties on it and went three and out. the roethlisburger TD was good, he broke the plane. the steelers just ended up playin good when it counted.
I have no problem with the Rothlisberger TD. That was the officials' best no-call of the game.

But as far as the rest of the game, I think everyone else covered it pretty well. I don't have a whole lot to add.