PDA

View Full Version : Hidalgo Lady Pirates (32-AAA) Tragedy

Bull Butter
02-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Sorry......but I believe there are more important things for this board than the A&M-UT flame festival.......... Hidalgo's Lady Pirates are currently 11-1 in Dist. 32-AAA and tied for the top spot with La Feria.

(from the McAllen Monitor www.themonitor.com)
TEEN DIES, 4 INJURED IN WRECK
February 05,2006
Andres R. Martinez
The Monitor

One on life support after Hidalgo athletes crash near Progreso

PROGRESO — An early-morning vehicle rollover Saturday cut short Nedra Rodriguez’s dreams of becoming Miss Hidalgo.

The 17-year-old varsity basketball player and an honorable mention pick for the 2005 All-District 32-3A volleyball team was killed when the 1997 Ford pickup truck she was traveling in with her friends veered off the road near Military Highway and Farm-to-Market Road 88, west of Progreso.

Her best friend and teammate, 17-year-old Abbey De Anda — a Monitor All-Valley first team middle blocker and the 32-3A All-District Most Valuable Player for the 2005 volleyball season — was on life support at Valley Baptist Medical Center in Harlingen late Saturday.

And three more Hidalgo High School students are recovering from injuries — Juan Manuel Zuniga Jr., 18, is in critical condition at Valley Baptist; varsity football player Sam Ramos, 17, a 2005 All-District first team tight end, was treated and released from Knapp Medical Center in Weslaco; and the exact condition of the driver, Armando Hernandez, is unknown.

Department of Public Safety Trooper Johnny Hernandez said alcohol most likely played a factor in the crash; DPS is waiting for blood toxicology results for Hernandez. He didn’t know whether any of the passengers may have been drinking though.

Word of the crash quickly spread Saturday around the small, tight-knit Hidalgo community of just about 10,000 people, with a high school of about 800 students.

People were stunned.

"These were very popular girls," said Romeo Guerra, Hidalgo’s former athletic director and Nedra’s uncle. "(Nedra) was a beautiful young lady and we were really proud of all her accomplishments.

"Right now we are devastated that our kids were involved," Guerra said.

Childhood Friends

Nedra Rodriguez couldn’t wait to turn 18 to sign up for the Miss Hidalgo pageant.

Though she was only 17, a year short, she had just taken her pictures last week to submit shots for the pageant.

Abbey was Nedra’s teammate on the Hidalgo High School girl’s basketball team.

The best friends had played like sisters on the basketball and volleyball courts since seventh grade, said one coach.

On Friday night, hours before the crash, the girls played in a basketball game one last time together, facing off against Progreso High School and capturing a 56-33 win.

At about 2 a.m., they were traveling west in the pick-up with Ramos, Zuniga and Armando Hernandez when Hernandez lost control of the vehicle and flipped over, landing in a ditch.

Trooper Hernandez said he did not know for sure what caused the teen to lose control of the vehicle. They might know more when the blood toxicology results come back.

Nedra died at the scene, according to DPS.

Abbey’s family and teammates were holding vigil near her hospital room Saturday.

DPS was not sure where the group was heading or from where they had come. But family and friends said the girls went to a party at a friend’s house to celebrate their basketball win.

The girls’ coach, Monica Rodriguez, got a call at about 3:30 a.m. and arrived at the hospital at 4 a.m.

She spent the morning with Abigail’s family and later left to see Nedra’s, all of whom were at Ceballos Funeral Home in McAllen making burial arrangements throughout the day.

Rodriguez, who has a son, affectionately calls Nedra and team captain Damaris Rodriguez her daughters, because they share the same last name.

"It has been real heartbreaking," Rodriguez said. "I am kind of numb right now.

"This is the second accident we have had to deal with this year," she said, referring to a Dec. 30 accident involving teammates Joanna and Debbie Cepeda, both sisters. That accident happened after a team win against La Feria. Both girls are recovering from serious injuries.

Sam’s football coach, Jose Peña, says Nedra and Abbey are known on campus for their intensity on the court, yet easy demeanor off the clock.

"I love those two girls," Peña said. "They were very passionate and they played as sisters on the court."

A brother’s last conversation

Romeo Rodriquez, Nedra’s brother, last spoke to his sister Friday after the game. One year older than Nedra, Romeo says his sister was a fierce competitor and had asked him to come see her play next week against La Feria.

"She always looked up to me," Romeo said about Nedra, who he playfully refers to as "daddy’s little girl."

"She was always trying to compete against me, trying to be better."

A viewing for Nedra will be held today at 10 a.m., at Ceballos Funeral Home. A rosary will be held there tonight, and her funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Church in McAllen.

The family plan to bury her following the mass.Hidalgo schools Superintendent Daniel King said accommodations will be made for any student wishing to attend the Monday services.

District303aPastPlayer
02-05-2006, 12:48 PM
Condolences to these families. WHat a sad situation.

Phil C
02-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Condolences to these families. WHat a sad situation.

I agree District. Very bad news.

CheerMom
02-05-2006, 03:05 PM
My prayers are with family and friends of these young people. :(

Old Tiger
02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out from my household to all the family and friends of this girl. This is a real tragedy. I hope the team prospers from this downtime and good luck to them. We should all take time to sit back and reflect on what we have accomplished and not regret anything that we do.

Ranger Mom
02-05-2006, 03:17 PM
That's terrible!! Prayers to all who have been touched by this!

Gobbler Fan
02-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Very sad indeed :(

44INAROW
02-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Very sad for all involved. As a parent, I can't imagine the pain :(

**I don't understand the opening comment

LH Panther Mom
02-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers are going out for the families and friends of these kids. :(

Bull Butter
02-05-2006, 10:30 PM
44, I was referring to the fact that it seems lately that certain people have turned 3A Down Low from a AAA discussion board to a Texas A&M-Texas argument fest. At the time I posted the original post on this thread, I had just posted a reply to one of the many Aggie-Longhorn pissing matches on here and was trying to return the focus to 3A sports.

Back to the topic at hand, I understand the other girl will be taken off life support tomorrow:crying:

44INAROW
02-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
44, I was referring to the fact that it seems lately that certain people have turned 3A Down Low from a AAA discussion board to a Texas A&M-Texas argument fest. At the time I posted the original post on this thread, I had just posted a reply to one of the many Aggie-Longhorn pissing matches on here and was trying to return the focus to 3A sports.

Back to the topic at hand, I understand the other girl will be taken off life support tomorrow:crying:

that explains it.. I don't read those posts so I was clueless.

so sorry to hear about the other girl..... :(