PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have Onstar In Their Vehicles??

ILS1
02-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Just bought a new vehicle with Onstar. It seems pretty cool and all but not sure if I wanna keep it after the free year trial. I probably won't use it all. What are the chances?? What are the pros and cons of this system? I know now that you can link your Verizon Wireless phone to make hands free calls while driving. Too bad I don't have Verizon. Thanks.

:D

Etexpirate
02-05-2006, 10:12 AM
I used mine one time during the trial year.. Locked the keys in the Tahoe at a Softball tournament. I was really grateful to have it that day. But I didn't subscribe to the service and never needed it again the 3 years I had the car. I guess I was lucky...
It seems like a cool service to have though..

But I swear...between the monthy charges from Netflix, XM radio, Verizon Natioal Broadband internet card and all the other little incidental $$$, you can nickle and dime yourself to death..lol!
How much "stuff" do we really need? And how much of it do we use after we thought we had to have it?;)

Old Tiger
02-05-2006, 10:42 AM
nm

GetRDoneStangs
02-05-2006, 11:37 AM
True story :

Tubing down the Frio River 2 summers ago, the river is flowing the best it's been in years. We hit a big time rapid that broke my wife's tube and sucked her below real fast. When she surfaced she was fine, but the bracelet that had our key for the truck was long gone! It was late Saturday and we had no idea where the next locksmith was.

We borrowed a cell phone from someone we met on the river and called Onstar. A few minutes later the "pop" of the lock was heard and we where in!

This has been the only time we have ever needed it, we didn't renew the free year yet... May do so later!

olddawggreen
02-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Had it for the free year, never used it and didn't renew when it expired. At the time I think it was about $25.00 a month to subscribe. I just thought it was too much.

ILS1
02-05-2006, 05:03 PM
I agree. I think it's too much for something I MAY never use!!! If it was cheaper maybe half the price it is now,I would consider it!! Thanks for all the input!!!

:D

Leopards,class of 75
02-05-2006, 05:49 PM
We bought a used Avalanche (2002) that has the On Star. Keep in mind that you don't have to do a contract with On Star. Last year we drove over 5,000 miles on a 3 week vacation so we added the OnStar for that month only. It's is $16.95 per month and we liked having it on such a long trip. You have coverage in most places where a cell phone will not work, like in the middle of no-where.

lepfan
02-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
You have coverage in most places where a cell phone will not work, like in the middle of no-where. Since I live in the middle of no where maybe I should look into it...

PPHSfan
02-05-2006, 08:13 PM
I have it. Love it. Wouldn't do without it.

ILS1
02-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I have it. Love it. Wouldn't do without it.

How long have you had it? How many times have you used it? What did you use it for,if you don't mind me asking?? Thanks.

:p

PPHSfan
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Had it in my Suburban since 2000. Used it several times for directions. Unlocked my door a couple of times, and the first time I need it in an emergency it will be worth every penny. Plus if you really want to have fun with it. Tell them your name is Batman. And then when you push the button, the girl will come on and say "Onstar, How may I help you "Batman":D

Leopards,class of 75
02-05-2006, 11:36 PM
On Star also offers phone service too.

olddawggreen
02-06-2006, 10:41 AM
Had it in my Suburban since 2000. Used it several times for directions. Unlocked my door a couple of times, and the first time I need it in an emergency it will be worth every penny. Plus if you really want to have fun with it. Tell them your name is Batman. And then when you push the button, the girl will come on and say "Onstar, How may I help you "Batman":D

I have a great set of maps that I am really good at reading, usualy get directions on the internet when Im looking for something free and keep a hide a key in a safe location, but am a member of AAA if that doesn't work. Never done the Batman thing, but I get my wife to sit next to me on trips to periodically tell me what a "Super man" I am!:D :D :D

I do indulge myself with my monthly satalite radio payment (actually pay quarterly) now thats money well spent!:)

PPHSfan
02-06-2006, 10:43 AM
There is only one safe location for a hide a key, and it is not very comfortable.

olddawggreen
02-06-2006, 11:45 AM
There is only one safe location for a hide a key, and it is not very comfortable.

Ouch!:eek: Should I say, kinda safe?

sportsdog
02-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I have used mine several times. Locked keys in car and had two flats on isolated highways. I will never buy another car unless it has onstar.

slpybear the bullfan
02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I have one in my wife's car. When she drives places with our three kids, I feel INFINITELY safer knowing that On-Star is there to help her out if she needs it.