PDA

View Full Version : how big is the first game....

toby070
05-06-2002, 05:12 PM
In a three game series? Just curious about your opinions, especially coaches. I always thought it was huge, but in my area, it was a curse. San Marcos and Hays lost game 1, and I was very disappointed, but both double-dipped their opponents to advance. I was especially pleased with the San Marcos win, because they really have no playoff experience at all, and I thought a 9-2 game 1 loss would be a blow to their confidence. Wimberley won their opener, and then lost the next two. Did a lot of series go this way?

sinfan75
05-06-2002, 07:54 PM
I think it's always important to win the first game.it gives your players that added confidence as long as it ain't over-confidence.

sinton66
05-07-2002, 07:44 AM
I think it's fairly easy for a 3A team to start two good pitchers. That third one is usually harder to find, and results in using the best freshman/sophomore they have. Teams without a strong third pitcher usually opt for 2 of 3. In such a case, the first game is not all that important to a teams confidence. Odem/Gonzales went 3 with Odem winning the last two also.

oldbuff78
05-08-2002, 08:42 AM
The first game is a very big game, remember anything can happen when you come back and play two in a row.

sinton66
05-08-2002, 12:27 PM
It's not all that important if the coach's strategy is to pitch his best in the last two games. Depends on the approach to the series, and where the games are being played and so forth. Don't know for sure, but I would bet it's not uncommon at all to win the last two and advance.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited May 08, 2002).]

oldbuff78
05-08-2002, 01:10 PM
Most coaches will tell you that first one sure means alot going into game two.

toby070
05-08-2002, 03:29 PM
I had very big concerns with SM losing the first game, because they lost 9-2, and I was afraid that for a team without really any playoff experience might lose confidence or press. It was interesting though, when they beat McCallum in Game 2, McCallum seemed to be the ones pressing in the third game.

I guess the bottom line may be you never really know how kids that age will react to things...sorry for the 4A talk, but I'm DAMN FIRED UP about my Rattlers advancing...many down years in baseball here in San Marcos.

sinton66
05-08-2002, 03:34 PM
pride is understandable, feel a lot of that for the mighty Sinton Pirates this year myself! It IS special when they haven't been there for a while. Keep the faith Toby.

oldbuff78
05-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Good luck Toby and SM.

BH_146
05-08-2002, 07:39 PM
In talking about winning the first game, last week in Class 3A there were 7 series that went to three games. In all 7, the team that won the first game lost the next two. I would have thought also that in 3A winning the first game would have been very important. Pitching depth is usually a problem in the early stages of the playoffs. If your team is still in the hunt, best of luck.

sinton66
05-09-2002, 08:16 AM
BH_146, that's exactly what I was saying. If a coach knows that his first game is away, and the last two are at home, he'd almost have to save his aces for the home games. I'm sure an awful lot of thought goes into these things for a coach.

toby070
05-09-2002, 01:47 PM
sinton66, I'd agree with you in most cases. SM's series was Friday and then a Saturday doubleheader. I liked that because both teams had to go past the usual two starters that pitch each week in district play. This SM series is different though. First game was last night (San Marcos 3, Medina Valley 2) and then they play Friday and "if" on Saturday. For that Saturday game, I'd say it would probably be safe to throw your ace again, maybe on a limited pitch count, or at the least for 2-3 innings of relief. I don't think there is usually that much time between the first and third games.