PDA

View Full Version : UT Protects Copyrights too!

Old Dog
02-04-2006, 10:13 PM
It may be of interest to all who have been following the 12th Man copyright infringement by the Seahawks that this type of thing happens a lot. Many years ago UT sued several businesses in the Austin area over the use of "Longhorn" in their company names. I seem to recall Longhorn Cleaners, Longhorn Disposal and Longhorn Concrete being forced to find new names. More recently (August 2003--I think) Bevo's Resturant was forced to give up their name for copyright infringement.

Another fact I heard on a sports talk show out of Austin is that UT Austin owns the block UT design west of the Mississippi River and the University of Tennessee owns it east of the Mississippi River.

Many think A&M is being silly over the 12th Man logo, but as a matter of fact they should have taken this to court several years ago.

Most likely the Super Bowl commentators will really try to make the Ags look like idiots over this whole thing! Right now the Seahawks have the hot national media hand, so the Ags can't win.......no matter what the outcome.

Bullaholic
02-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
It may be of interest to all who have been following the 12th Man copyright infringement by the Seahawks that this type of thing happens a lot. Many years ago UT sued several businesses in the Austin area over the use of "Longhorn" in their company names. I seem to recall Longhorn Cleaners, Longhorn Disposal and Longhorn Concrete being forced to find new names. More recently (August 2003--I think) Bevo's Resturant was forced to give up their name for copyright infringement.

Another fact I heard on a sports talk show out of Austin is that UT Austin owns the block UT design west of the Mississippi River and the University of Tennessee owns it east of the Mississippi River.

Many think A&M is being silly over the 12th Man logo, but as a matter of fact they should have taken this to court several years ago.

Most likely the Super Bowl commentators will really try to make the Ags look like idiots over this whole thing! Right now the Seahawks have the hot national media hand, so the Ags can't win.......no matter what the outcome.

And don't ever use a horned toad for a logo either, Old Dog, because TCU has "horned toad" trademarked.

lepfan
02-05-2006, 12:34 AM
I may go tradmark my favorite hand signal before someone else does. That way when someone uses it I can sue them. :rolleyes:

Phil C
02-05-2006, 12:46 AM
I guess since no one in USA used the Yacares mascot I should get it copywrited. Can any lawyers help?

:)

Adidas410s
02-05-2006, 01:17 AM
I hear that A&M has trademarked breathing...better hope they don't catch you in the act!:eek:

Old Tiger
02-05-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog

Most likely the Super Bowl commentators will really try to make the Ags look like idiots over this whole thing! They don't have to do anything to make the Ags look like idiots. ;)

District303aPastPlayer
02-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I hear that A&M has trademarked breathing...better hope they don't catch you in the act!:eek:

:) :clap: :clap:

Phil C
02-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
They don't have to do anything to make the Ags look like idiots. ;) Of course after what they predicted in the Rose Bowl and built up USC as the greatest team ever and pushed the Heisman to Reggie they aren't much ones to be talking either. :)

Old Tiger
02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
True dat Phizil