PDA

View Full Version : Bellville Upsets the State ranked Bobcats in Hempstead!!

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Bellville Beats State ranked Hempstead in Hempstead 72-69, this was the Bobcats 1st loss in District.
I think I saw Brahma 73 in the stands, but he was wearing Green?????:thinking: :thinking:

Pudlugger
02-04-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow! Tough to win in Hempstead with those Homer Refs! Used to really set me off to watch those Bobcats crawl all over the Leps and never get called for fouling. It was pathetic. Ask anyone who has played there if you doubt me on this. The sad thing was that those Hempstead kids didn't need the help to win as they always had the athletes. Way to go Bellville!

BTW looks like we'll be renewing the intense rivalry in the Fall in D23. Bellville will be surprised to see the new Lep formations now that they have a new Coach. The old smash mouth Veer and Option offense is gone and now it all spread all the time. I'm sure the Brahmas will make the adjustment. They will definately be the team to beat in District. It's always tough and always a battle with these two teams.

18handicap
02-04-2006, 10:35 PM
Homer refs??? Hempstead, Bellville, Sealy, Rice, and Columbus all use the SAME basketball officials chapter. How can that be homer???? I'm a member of that chapter too and I don't care who the home team is and am insulted if I'm told that "I expect calls in my own gym," or "I would expect that kind of call in their gym," when both teams use the same officials.

punt
02-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Pud is living in the past. Yes, all those schools use Rice Belt officials. He has never been able to forget about when LaGrange was strong in football and pounded Hempstead on the field. When it came to bb the Leps were beaten by everyone. Just got a dose of their own medicine about running up the score. That was years ago. Every teams fans think the refs are calling for the other team. Most of the time refs don't really care who the winner is. Get over it Pud. Just think you get to get pounded by Bellville next year.

18handicap
02-05-2006, 11:21 AM
I'll add one more thing about this thread.......I've called games this year for Rice, Sealy, and Bellville and saw Columbus and Hempstead during tournaments, and know about Navasota's success this year and that is a VERY tough district. There are going to be a couple of good teams in this district that would win many other districts staying at home this year.

Now about next year.......I think I like how our district sets up. Should be some very good district races in all sports. I think our travel burden (and I say that lightly because I coached in West Texas in the 90's) is lessened somewhat and that alone will make a lot of people happy.

Pudlugger
02-05-2006, 12:06 PM
18handicap, I'll stipulate that it was years ago and in lower level games that I witnessed these bad calls. If it has been mitigated at the varsity level by this new system of refs that is good news. I still stand by my remarks as to how it was then. As for the Leps always getting pounded in BB that is true and I think I alluded to that in acknowledging the superior athleticism of the Wildcat players.
In 3A schools you have a limited pool of good athletes who play 2 or 3 sports. In La Grange, the success of the football program meant that these kids would be playing football in December. In 2000 and 2001 the basketball team went without its best players for almost half the season. Fact is that even Hempstead experienced this in those days as they were on the BB courts in early November after the final regular season football game was played. That might account for their superior record on the courts. It is remarkable that they have managed to put together two good seasons in football and basketball this year, but, then again, they were out of the football playoffs early. Had they gone deep I wager their basketball season would have been adversly impacted. La Grange has been a football school in recent history, but with a new AD you never know. Maybe they will build up their bb program.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I was told by Hempstead coaches the refs were from the Brazos belt chapter Friday night in Hempstead. I know it is hard to ref. but friday night both coaches were on the refs about some calls they had made.
Hey Pud, I think it is good Bellville and La Grange will be playing the next two years, Its been a few years since the Brahmas and Lepords have played in Football.

18handicap
02-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Even though they said that, I still think it was Rice Belt because I just looked at the master schedule and RB had officials assigned to all 6 games in the Hempstead gyms that night. But, I'll say this too -- we're not perfect either. Just like when I coach too.

punt
02-05-2006, 04:27 PM
The refs were from RB, as they have been all season. They had Brazos refs at Navasota. They did use Brazos refs when in the district with LG.

Hempstead has had only one good season in football. Hopefully that is the beginning of something that will last. It is good that Hempstead is now 2A, as is Rice Con, so they can play against schools that aren't twice the enrollment.

Brahma73
02-06-2006, 09:09 AM
Thought the game was very well officiated. Referees let both teams play. Difference: Nick Mosely absolutely denying the middle to Hempstead's inside game and Hempstead refusing to make free throws. Officials were no factor. This is a very tough, evenly matched district. Hempstead boys have not played real well at home last few outings. Won by the skin of their teeth against Rice last week. Had an emotional close win at Navasota a couple of games before that. Maybe this is a wake-up call.

Hempstead girls continue to improve, winning last 2 over Rice (avenging an earlier blowout at Rice) and Bellville. Both were runaways. Navasota still the class of district (and probably region) in girls BB.

Hey Former! Did see you across the gym. Gotta represent the school that pays my bills;)

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Yak SE Mas 73!!!!!Whats up with that? One in Columbus, and one in Hempstead, need to have a talk with the people in charge and get your family back in Bellville?
One thing, please tell me yall are still Brahmas at heart?:)

Brahma73
02-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Gotta know it FBB! Haven't changed my handle yet;)

I really like H-town though. A lot of people dedicated to making a real difference. Dropping to 2A will help lots.