PDA

View Full Version : Corpus Christi Article on Realignment

piratebg
02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Judgment from UIL shakes up districts
Biennial realignment separates 4A teams

By Javier Becerra Caller-Times
February 3, 2006

Even in an eight-team district, Calallen coach Phil Danaher had a hard time finding three games to fill out the schedule.

The task was made more difficult Thursday morning when the University Interscholastic League released its biennial realignment.

South Texas now features two six-team Class 4A districts - a result of Miller and Moody dropping from 5A along with the move south by Beeville and Port Lavaca Calhoun.

"It's the worst nightmare possible," Danaher said. "Now we have two six-team districts, which means we have to find five non-conference games. We already had trouble finding three, so we're scrambling to find a couple more."

District 30-4A now consists of Beeville, Miller, Moody, Gregory-Portland, Calhoun and Rockport-Fulton. Alice, Calallen, Flour Bluff, Kingsville, Tuloso-Midway and Robstown make up 31-4A, which lost G-P and R-F in the shuffle.

"It's kind of what we expected," G-P coach George Harris said. "I think it's good. The two districts seem to be well balanced as far as competition. I know we're going to have a heck of a non-district schedule."

Class 3A

Among the most notable changes is the move of Orange Grove and West Oso from 31-3A to 30-3A, a six-team district that includes Aransas Pass, Ingleside, Mathis and Sinton.

"It's crazy," West Oso coach Mark Guess said. "I had a feeling that we might stay in the same district and maybe pick up another team. Things changed quite a bit."

Sinton coach Jimmie Mitchell said the changes likely mean more travel for the defending 30-3A champion Pirates.

"Two teams that we played in non-district moved into our district, so we lost some games there," Mitchell said. "It looks like we're probably going to have to travel more than we have been."

Falfurrias, San Diego and Zapata remained in 31-3A and are joined by Lyford and Raymondville, leaving it a five-team district.

Class 2A

Refugio spent two seasons traveling north for its district games. That all changed Thursday when the Bobcats and former 29-2A mate Bloomington were placed in 31-2A along with George West, Odem, Skidmore-Tynan, Taft and Three Rivers.

"I had a feeling we might go south," Refugio coach Chris Jones said. "We're in a spot geographically where we could go either way. I think it's going to be a very competitive district."

To accommodate for the changes, former 31-2A members Banquete and Freer were moved into 32-2A along with Bishop, Hebbronville, Premont, Riviera and Santa Rosa.

Class A

The only change in the Class A ranks was La Villa's drop from 2A. The Cardinals are now a part of 32-A, joining Agua Dulce, Ben Bolt, Benavides, Bruni and Santa Maria.

"We're ready for it," Ben Bolt coach Jeff LeFevre said of the move. "It doesn't bother me at all. La Villa is a good ballclub and we look forward to playing them. We play 2A schools all the time."

big daddy russ
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
29-2A's a funky district. It goes north halfway to San Antonio, east past Victoria, and south to the western edge of Corpus.

Buccaneer
02-03-2006, 11:09 AM
Bloomington is coached by Jesse House, a former Sinton resident. He came there last year from Runge. In 2004 Bloomington didnt win a game and only scored 13 points all season. How did they do this season?