PDA

View Full Version : aTm recruiting

BreckTxLonghorn
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Read the 11th paragraph. Seriously? What an idiot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2-2 Lee signing day story (LH READ)
Jack Marrion
Sports Writer
Midland Reporter-Telegram
02/02/2006

By Jack Marrion

Sports Writer

One year ago the Lee football team achieved a rare feat by having two players sign letters of intent with the same NCAA Division I university. On Wednesday at the Lee High School library that occurrence was turned into a trend.

Rebels seniors Terrence McCoy and Leslie Ray signed with Texas A&M University on Wednesday, becoming the third and fourth Lee players to ink with the Aggies in the last two years. The duo joined Chevar Bryson and Jamie McCoy, Terrence's older brother, as A&M signees, both of whom were redshirt freshmen with the Aggies this past fall.

Whether the latest signing finished a rush or opened a pipeline from Midland to College Station the last two signing days at Lee have produced something that isn't often seen in college recruiting.

"I told them it's a good thing we wear maroon," said Lee coach Randy Quisenberry. "I guess you can just call us A&M West or something. I think that was kind of a unique deal. These guys were juniors last year when (Aggies cornerbacks coach Chris Thurmond) was recruiting the other two. He came down to see (Bryson and Jamie McCoy) and he saw those guys and they jumped out at them."

Bryson, a defensive back at Lee, and the elder McCoy, the Rebels' quarterback during his senior season, verbally committed to play for A&M during the 2004 football season, announcing their intentions within a month of each other.

Gaining two of the best athletes on the Rebels' squad at the time drew the interest of A&M's recruiting staff to other Lee players. Ray, an imposing defensive tackle, made his verbal commitment to the Aggies the following spring. The younger McCoy, a skilled and tall, physical receiver, joined the movement to A&M during this past football season.

"Our coaches are real good friends with the A&M coaches," Terrence McCoy said. "They tell them basically who our best players are. Then A&M starts looking at our players and if they like them they'll accept them."

Ray and McCoy were recruited by other colleges and universities but settled on A&M. Both said the opportunity to reunite with friends and relatives as Aggies teammates was a deciding factor.

"I kind of followed, but then I kind of went," Ray said. "My best friend, Terrence, is going. Jamie, I grew up with him and Chevar's my cousin. It'll be one big family again."

The Lee seniors were also able to use the advice of their former teammates in making their decision. McCoy, who said he's been looking forward to Wednesday since he watched Jaime sign his letter of intent a year ago, has received positive reports from his brother about A&M and the football program.

"They take care of you down there," McCoy said. "I know from my brother they keep your pockets full, give you plenty of money, keep feeding you meals. Besides that all the help they give you with football. They keep you on your grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around."

McCoy and Ray won't have any trouble finding friends in College Station during their first semester. In fact McCoy said they plan on rooming together at A&M their freshman year.

The easier transition from high school to college should assist in their development during their freshman year, including athletically.

"I think the sky's the limit," Quisenberry said. "That's what I told them. It's up to them at this point. They've got to decide what they want to do. As I told them at the football banquet, 'Don't let anybody tell you what you can and can't do and don't let anybody hold you back.' Those guys have got all the potential in the world."

And they might serve as inspiration for other Lee players to don a different maroon jersey.

mrescape43
02-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Read the 11th paragraph. Seriously? What an idiot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2-2 Lee signing day story (LH READ)
Jack Marrion
Sports Writer
Midland Reporter-Telegram
02/02/2006

By Jack Marrion

Sports Writer

One year ago the Lee football team achieved a rare feat by having two players sign letters of intent with the same NCAA Division I university. On Wednesday at the Lee High School library that occurrence was turned into a trend.

Rebels seniors Terrence McCoy and Leslie Ray signed with Texas A&M University on Wednesday, becoming the third and fourth Lee players to ink with the Aggies in the last two years. The duo joined Chevar Bryson and Jamie McCoy, Terrence's older brother, as A&M signees, both of whom were redshirt freshmen with the Aggies this past fall.

Whether the latest signing finished a rush or opened a pipeline from Midland to College Station the last two signing days at Lee have produced something that isn't often seen in college recruiting.

"I told them it's a good thing we wear maroon," said Lee coach Randy Quisenberry. "I guess you can just call us A&M West or something. I think that was kind of a unique deal. These guys were juniors last year when (Aggies cornerbacks coach Chris Thurmond) was recruiting the other two. He came down to see (Bryson and Jamie McCoy) and he saw those guys and they jumped out at them."

Bryson, a defensive back at Lee, and the elder McCoy, the Rebels' quarterback during his senior season, verbally committed to play for A&M during the 2004 football season, announcing their intentions within a month of each other.

Gaining two of the best athletes on the Rebels' squad at the time drew the interest of A&M's recruiting staff to other Lee players. Ray, an imposing defensive tackle, made his verbal commitment to the Aggies the following spring. The younger McCoy, a skilled and tall, physical receiver, joined the movement to A&M during this past football season.

"Our coaches are real good friends with the A&M coaches," Terrence McCoy said. "They tell them basically who our best players are. Then A&M starts looking at our players and if they like them they'll accept them."

Ray and McCoy were recruited by other colleges and universities but settled on A&M. Both said the opportunity to reunite with friends and relatives as Aggies teammates was a deciding factor.

"I kind of followed, but then I kind of went," Ray said. "My best friend, Terrence, is going. Jamie, I grew up with him and Chevar's my cousin. It'll be one big family again."

The Lee seniors were also able to use the advice of their former teammates in making their decision. McCoy, who said he's been looking forward to Wednesday since he watched Jaime sign his letter of intent a year ago, has received positive reports from his brother about A&M and the football program.

"They take care of you down there," McCoy said. "I know from my brother they keep your pockets full, give you plenty of money, keep feeding you meals. Besides that all the help they give you with football. They keep you on your grades with private tutoring. Just good all-around."

McCoy and Ray won't have any trouble finding friends in College Station during their first semester. In fact McCoy said they plan on rooming together at A&M their freshman year.

The easier transition from high school to college should assist in their development during their freshman year, including athletically.

"I think the sky's the limit," Quisenberry said. "That's what I told them. It's up to them at this point. They've got to decide what they want to do. As I told them at the football banquet, 'Don't let anybody tell you what you can and can't do and don't let anybody hold you back.' Those guys have got all the potential in the world."

And they might serve as inspiration for other Lee players to don a different maroon jersey.

What a Goober!:eek: :eek: :D :D

lostaussie
02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
ya'll a little late. we already trashed the aggies on another thread:D

big daddy russ
02-02-2006, 06:31 PM
You do know that football athletes on full scholarships are allowed $595 a month by the NCAA, right?

lostaussie
02-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You do know that football athletes on full scholarships are allowed $595 a month by the NCAA, right? i'm glad. feeling better now. i figured ncaa would be making plane reservations as we speak.

mrescape43
02-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You do know that football athletes on full scholarships are allowed $595 a month by the NCAA, right?

The school can give them 595 per month?

lostaussie
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
The school can give them 595 per month? evidently we do:D

big daddy russ
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
The school can give them 595 per month?
Don't know the specifics, but they do. Before David Carr got drafted everyone was talking about how him, his wife and son were getting ready to go from living off Carr's $595 monthly allowance from Fresno St. to millions in the NFL.

mrescape43
02-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
evidently we do:D

I did not know that.

BreckTxLonghorn
02-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I know they give a certain amount, but why would the guy mention it then? Its standard in NCAA. Its not like aTm is doing anything special. Or does he not realize that?

Plus, I believe (and I could be wrong) that 595 a month is only if you live off campus, because it pays for rent and meals and other bare necessities. Its a significantly less amount if you live in the dorms.

big daddy russ
02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
I know off-campus rent is allowed to be covered by the school up to what it costs to live in the dorms, and they get the $595 on top of that. But the athlete never sees the rent money.